Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 11:47:34 AM EDT
I'm working on a design of a open wheeled roadster using a Corvette drive train.
I like to use as many off the shelf parts as I can to keep costs down and make it easy to fix.
I'm going to use a single turbo set up but don't want to scavenge engine oil for the turbo but give it it's own sys.
I was thinking about using a late model GM truck radiator with a built in tranny cooler and an elec. pump.

Anybody even try something like this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1546/Mocal_Differential_Cooler_Pump

I recommend that, I did a rear-mount turbo setup of a '94 Nissan sentra and used a tractor oil pump, when you're circulating hot oil you gotta be careful what pump you use, especially if your turbo is depending on it. I used a oil pump off a tractor, worked fine. And any oil cooler would work as a mini resevoir kinda, but it might be alot easier just to plumb it into your oil pan and a sandwhich adapter off from your oil filter. You just gotta make sure that the resevoir or cooler and pump you have will provide enough oil pressure for the turbo, which that Mocal should. If you're looking for a cheaper pump go to a tractor supply or some sort of heavy equipment shop and they should have tons of electric pumps that can handle it. B&M makes good oil coolers in all shapes and sizes..good place to start...Also, if its a separate oil system for the turbo, i'd highly recomend putting your own oil pressure gauge in the system somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My advice after restoring a much lower tech 60's front engine dragster is don't reinvent the wheel. Take what already works and keep the same config as much as possible. I was not real clear on what you had in mind for the truck rad. Was is it for engine/trans cooling or something else. If it's for engine cooling bigger is only better to a point. If you are using an off the shelf motor/tranny then try to use the combo  the engineers already
optimized. KISS is a good rule here. If it's gonna have a hipo AT add a cooler there for sure but they are small and easily stacked on the engine rad.SS
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the turbo going to be mounted in such a way that oil return to the pan is impossible? If not I would try to put it back in the pan. If not, it sounds like you are on the right track. Just make sure you can keep the oil cool under conditions which will require you to be in boost for a long period of time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the turbo going to be mounted in such a way that oil return to the pan is impossible? If not I would try to put it back in the pan. If not, it sounds like you are on the right track. Just make sure you can keep the oil cool under conditions which will require you to be in boost for a long period of time.

or just use a scavenger pump to pull the oil uphill
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
ummm why are you willing just to use the engine oil LIKE EVERY* OTHER TURBO SYSTEM.

**well not every but MOST
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The guys that convert turbo's into jet engines do this all the time. Generally using some form of industrial electric oil pump, a small tank and a large heat exchanger.

You are really better off using engine oil pressure and the engine oil sump. It is hard to beat the reliablitty of the engine driven oil pump. It's always on when the eng is running.

Is there some reason for this kind of remote oil setup?

By the way, some aircraft turbo systems mount the turbo underneath, and the oil drains into a tank, which is then pumped back into the engine. These pumps fail all the time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ummm why are you willing just to use the engine oil LIKE EVERY* OTHER TURBO SYSTEM.

**well not every but MOST

The truck radiator has the inlet and outlet ports in just the right and the tranny cooler would be a the same side as the trubo.
I could cut out as much as 10 lbs by doing it this way and every little bit helps.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top