Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 1:46:15 PM EDT
Saw this posted on another forum. This, coupled with Levi's refusal to support the Boy Scouts, means I'm going to Lee's or Wrangler's (both of which are US made, unlike Levi's-another reason).
For several years, Levi Strauss & Co. has focused on empowering
youth to make social change on issues they care about, therefore we
do still support PAX. A leading concern among youth is the increase
in gun violence, which is responsible for killing more American
children than all natural causes combined (11 children every day).

We hope to take a leadership position on this issue by supporting
PAX, a non-profit anti-violence organization, dedicated to the vision
of a society free of gun violence. Levi Strauss & Co. supports
PAX's goal to bring all Americans together to support common sense
solutions to the gun violence epidemic.

If you'd like more information about the PAX organization, please
visit their web site at www.paxusa.org.

Thank you again for sharing your views with us. If you need to
contact us again, please write back or call us at 1-800-USA-LEVI or
email us at [email protected] for further information. We are
available to assist you Monday through Friday from 5am - 8pm
Pacific Time, and on Saturday and Sunday from 7am - 5pm Pacific
Time.

Sincerely,

Vallory
Levi Strauss & Co.
valwax2614369

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up.  Now if I can only fit my fat ass into a pair of wrangers...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Screw Levis.  Go to Old Navy and you can get jeans that last for 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess?

But hurry, some are USA and some are made in Mexico.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Eddie Bauer always gets my money.

30 Bucks.

Good quality, and eddie was an outdoors man.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I quit buying Levi's years ago as well due to their anti-gun stance. I buy Wranglers for $15 a pair or Lee. The Wranglers fit better and wear better. On top of that, Levi's had a store policy that you could not buy more than 3 pairs at a given time and stores were not allowed to discount them, all sale prices had to be approved by Levi management. F*&K Levi Strauss.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I quit wearing levi's several years ago when they quit supporting the Boy Scouts of America...along with Chase Manhatten and Wells Fargo.

I have been wearing Wrangler Rugged Wear jeans ($16) and also Cinch and Carhartt Jeans.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I've switched to BDU trousers for almost all casual wear.

They last, they've got lots of pockets, and they're more comfortable than anything else you'll ever wear.

I'm wearing desert tricolors right now, as a matter of fact.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats a shame that they are anti.  A J-frame fits perfectly in the front pocket of their jeans.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thats a shame that they are anti.  A J-frame fits perfectly in the front pocket of their jeans.
View Quote

And if it was up to the groups that they support, you would not be able to own that J-frame - or any other frame.

I dumped levi's years ago, they pretty much said they they didn't care about U.S sales as they could not keep up with their european demand.  the demand was another reason they restricted U.S. sales and jacked prices through the roof.

they offered their support to liberal nanny groups approved by their employees, they lost mine.  why support a company that wants to hurt me, especially when there are other alternatives.
IMO their jeans suck anyway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be Wranglin' from here on out, boys...

I never did like Levi's.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to wear levi's 501s. I quit buying them because of thier anti-gun stance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I buy Costco brand jeans...Kirkland.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've switched to BDU trousers for almost all casual wear.
View Quote

Agreed!  Basic black for me.  Hell, I have even worn them to church!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I gave up on them years ago, when they pulled their support for thew boy scouts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
the boyscouts are a joke anyhow
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not when I was in! I have passed on much of the knowledge I picked up back then to my kids.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never worn Levi's except when I was young and still wearing PF Flyers.
Then I started the first grade.  Bye-bye 501's.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm another Levi to Rangler convert.  I switched about 3 years ago after learning of Levi's anti-gun position.  My Ranglers fit just as well and cost a whole lot less.

[img]edjones7.home.mchsi.com/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Royal Robbins 5.11 pants are like a cross between Dockers and BDU pants. I never wear jeans since I got a couple pair of 5.11's
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I bailed on Levis about three years ago too. I only wear Carhardts now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:28:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd love to switch, but I haven't found anything that looks or feels as good as a pair of Levis.  I haven't bought a new pair in years, but I need some new ones now and just can't find anything that works.
I'm thinking Dickies if I can find a retailer with a good selection.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I haven't bought Levis in about 5 years. Stopped when I heard of their gun stance and I love shrink to fit 501's. When your built like a refrigerator with a head any customizing you can get helps.[}:D]

If you don't like the way Wrangler 13MWZ jeans fit try their 31MWZ style. They are cut a little fuller in the seat and thigh. Also try Kohl's jeans if there is a store in your area. Their classic fit is pretty close to the 501 cut and I've had good luck as far as wear goes. The only drawback to them is you cant get those dark blue unwashed ones. I hate buying jeans that look like they are two years old when new.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#29]
[b]A leading concern among youth is the increase
in gun violence, which is responsible for killing more American children than all natural causes combined (11 children every day).[/b][BS]

NFW that less than 11 children die everyday from natural causes.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not when I was in! I have passed on much of the knowledge I picked up back then to my kids.
View Quote

Boy Scouts were pretty damned good to me!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Nothing new there.  Levis has been anti-gun for a long time.  At least since the mid to late 90's when I found out they were.  As such, I haven't bought Levi's in years and the ones I did have were replaced with other brands like Eddie Bauer and Carhartt when they wore out.

It never ceases to amaze me when big corporations take a political stance on controversial issues like gun control or abortion, etc.  To me it seems like a no-win situation for them as no matter what stance they take, they are going to piss somebody off.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll be doing the same after reading up on this. I did not know they were anti.

I'm a Levi's kind of guy too, I hate the fit of most other jeans.......I do have some Carhartt though and they wear and fit very well. Pricey though.......for that matter so are Levi's.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Yup, like a lot of others here I wore Levi 501s my whole life until I learned about their anti-gun stance via the Internet in 1999. I wrote them and got a variation of the same letter at the top of this thread basically telling me they didn't want my money.

So, I shopped around a while and now buy Wranglers primarily. I also discovered that the Wranglers are much tougher than the Levis and cheaper to boot. Now I wouldn't switch back even if Levis did drop support for PAX because among other things, they make a crappy product.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#34]
When I started wearing jeans it so happened I wore almost the same size as my dad....

Levi's Lifetime Warranty means I take them back and get them replaced -- free.  He had drawers full of wore out Levi's.

I took about 15 pairs back and got them exchanged.  These jeans were from as early as 1980.  I don't think I have paid for a pair of jeans in at least 10 years.  Just keep recycling them to the Levi's store.

They actually lose money on every pair I take back. [:D]

I still have 20 pair left to take back from my dad. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Don't wear jeans!  Jeans are the uniform of the hippies and baby boomers.

Wear proppers!  
[:)]
Scott
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Levi's, like most jeans, are cut so high in the crotch that unless you buy those idiotic ass-draggers, you have to be a frigging eunuch to wear them.

Arizonas work better.

Remember, you can't dance if there's no ballroom.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
in gun violence, which is responsible for killing more American children than all natural causes combined (11 children every day).[/b][BS]

View Quote

Define "natural causes". If it's the common perception of death by natural causes being organ failure as in the case of advanced aging, then I'll buy it.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I stopped buying Levi's about 10 yrs ago because they are anti gun.  I wear Wranglers and they are pro gun.  AND only made in Oklahoma, USA.
View Quote

Yep!! Levi's anti position has been well known for years, as has a gun owner boycott on them.
Nice to see it brought up for those who don't know though.

BTW, Wranglers are a better "fit", on me.

(Sherrick, are you any where near "Norman" OK?)
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yup, like a lot of others here I wore Levi 501s my whole life until I learned about their anti-gun stance via the Internet in 1999. I wrote them and got a variation of the same letter at the top of this thread basically telling me they didn't want my money.

So, I shopped around a while and now buy Wranglers primarily. I also discovered that the Wranglers are much tougher than the Levis and cheaper to boot. Now I wouldn't switch back even if Levis did drop support for PAX because among other things, they make a crappy product.
View Quote

Same story here - same year, same e-mail, same state even (at the time)! Only difference is I switched to Eddie Bauers. Only problem is that that means I have to go to malls. I hate malls. That probably has something to do with my overall dislike of people in general [:)].
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I stopped wearing Levi's over 5 years ago.

Wrangler and Lee make alot of differnt styles of jeans, not just the cowboy-type. Find a pair that suits you and run with it. Or, pay for it, either way...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too!  They make several models, so I look for the 15 oz. denim @ about $27/pair and they are BETTER than Levi's.  Screw Levi's!
View Quote

Is 15oz what jeans used to be when I was a kid some decades ago? It seems like the jeans these days are thin and wear out real fast. The older ones seemed to have heavier duty fabric. Or am I just imagining this?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

As surprising as it may seem many more than 11 children die every day from "natural causes".

I interpret natural causes to be a disease process resulting in organ failure and would eliminate congential anomalies, chromosomal abnormalities, SIDS, sepsis etc. deaths that account for more than 27,000 infant deaths by "natural causes" in the US per year.

According to the latest information available from the CDC the leading causes of death are heart disease, neoplasms, COPD, accidents, (in that order).

More than 27 children die per day in the US die from malnutrition which would result in organ failure.

When one looks at total number of deaths, motor vehicles account for the largest number, 50 deaths per million children under age 10. Drownings account for 21 deaths per million children, fire 19 deaths per million, while suffocation accounts for 18 deaths per million.

Accidents involving toys was far down on the list, claiming 0.4 lives per million children.

While accidental deaths combine to create the most common cause of death for children under 10, homicide was the second-highest single cause, resulting in 24 deaths per million. The number of gun-related deaths is 5 in the under-10 age group.

The above stats are from the CDC.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Remember, you can't dance if there's no ballroom.
View Quote

560's...because 501/505's are cut for women. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I wear nothing but Tommy Hilfiger, my sister is a top designer there and I get clothes for practically free.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When I started wearing jeans it so happened I wore almost the same size as my dad....

Levi's Lifetime Warranty means I take them back and get them replaced -- free.  He had drawers full of wore out Levi's.

I took about 15 pairs back and got them exchanged.  These jeans were from as early as 1980.  I don't think I have paid for a pair of jeans in at least 10 years.  Just keep recycling them to the Levi's store.

They actually lose money on every pair I take back. [:D]

I still have 20 pair left to take back from my dad. [:D]
View Quote

that's the best answer to their bullshit i've yet heard.  hell, raid the salvation army for levis at a couple bucks a pair and turn around and dump them right back in their gun-hating lap.  yeah, stick it to the man.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Define "natural causes". If it's the common perception of death by natural causes being organ failure as in the case of advanced aging, then I'll buy it.

View Quote

I would include cancer, genetic defects, heart faulure, ect.

I bet they could save more children by buying them bike helmets or better yet banning bikes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I stopped buying Levis the day they said that they didn't agree with SCOTUS's ruling for the Boy Scouts. Try Carhartt, they make some great jeans!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Levi's are overpriced shit anyway, and yes, that included Dockers.

F*ck them and their politics.

SG
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#49]
When my current Levis jeans wear out, I'm not buying any more, either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn! No more 560's.[V]

I just love the 560's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top