Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2001 9:22:31 AM EDT

Thousands Rally in California Behind Barbara Lee, the Lone Congressional Dissenter
The Associated Press
Published: Oct 22, 2001

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - More than 3,000 people rallied behind U.S. Rep. Barbara Lee, the only member of Congress to oppose a resolution granting President Bush authority to use force against terrorists.
The crowd in downtown Oakland erupted in cheers Sunday when actor Danny Glover walked Lee to the podium about two hours into the rally. Glover called Lee a hero. Alice Walker, the writer, called her inspiring.

Lee thanked the crowd profusely for their support, following songs, poetry and speeches in her honor.

The Democrat's decision has won both admiration and derision from California's 9th district which includes the historically dovish cities of Oakland and Berkeley. It also prompted more than 50,000 letters and e-mails from around the nation of similarly divided reaction.

She has explained her recent dissent as an appeal for restraint.

"We must be careful not to embark on an open-ended war with neither an exit strategy nor a focused target," Lee told her colleagues last month. She later voted to spend $40 billion on anti-terror and disaster relief.

Last week, former state Assemblywoman Audie Bock announced she would run against Lee in the March Democratic primary, and already had geared up a patriotic-themed campaign called it's "OK to love America."
View Quote

[url]http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAJSLC64TC.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah... there are a lot of great people who live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, but there are plenty of idiots like Danny Glover and Gerbil-boy, Richard Gere...

Well I guess they'll go snuggle up to the Chinese when and if our little red pals launch their nukes at the US... thanks to Clinton, the Chinese have that capability.  However, I think the range of their delivery vehicles would limit them to hitting the west coast, where many of these liberal assholes live.

ARnSC
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Here in Texas we have dealt with Mr. Glover already.  He came crying here a couple years ago trying to defend a death row inmate who raped and murdered a 70 year old lady, not to mention multiple murder convictions.

Danny Glover represents the same terrorist cell Rosie O'Donnel and Dianne Feinstein run.

He is a bad man who defends murderers.
His movies blow goats too.

[:K]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Danny boy, you ain't Jesse Jackson so quit tryin'! And 3000 might have rallied behind that squat beeyatch B.Lee, but many many thousands more wanted her head on a spike!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here in Texas we have dealt with Mr. Glover already.  He came crying here a couple years ago trying to defend a death row inmate who raped and murdered a 70 year old lady, not to mention multiple murder convictions.

[:K]
View Quote

I was just gonna bring that up.  He can take his stupid opinion and shove it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anybody else find it amusing, that most of these "so called movie stars" that are anti-gun/anti-violence/anti-death penalty/ make most of their money by acting in films or tv shows that depict guns, violence and death? What a bunch of FUCKING hypocrites. If they were that vehemently oposed to these things you would think they would be turning down these projects left and right. I guess that beliefs don't factor in when you're trying to pad your pocketbook.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anybody else find it amusing, that most of these "so called movie stars" that are anti-gun/anti-violence/anti-death penalty/ make most of their money by acting in films or tv shows that depict guns, violence and death? What a bunch of FUCKING hypocrites. If they were that vehemently oposed to these things you would think they would be turning down these projects left and right. I guess that beliefs don't factor in when you're trying to pad your pocketbook.
View Quote

Hypocrite is exactly the word for him. He caps off round after round in Lethal Weapon, but there are anti-gun posters in the police station. He also begged off of Predator, claiming it had an anti-female (wtf?) script, and then when he saw how well it did, he took the role in Predator 2, which sucked.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah... there are a lot of great people who live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, but there are plenty of idiots like Danny Glover and Gerbil-boy, Richard Gere...
View Quote

Luckily not all in the entertainment business are this stupid.

While giving an interview in Ireland about his new movie "Snatch," a reporter asked Brad Pitt whether he thought the UK should grant Northern Ireland independent rule.  He replied "What are you asking me for?  I'm just a fucking actor!!"

My personal opinion of Brad Pitt immediately jumped up several notches.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Impressive, at least Brad Pitt knows enough to realize he's a dumbass, wish they all did...
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My personal opinion of Brad Pitt immediately jumped up several notches.
View Quote

PMFJI but my opinion of Pitt jumped when he was able to get Jennifer Anniston to marry him!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
say what you will, these commie suckin vermin keep getting elected, and the 'beautiful people' keep defending them.  and the public keeps buying the music and the movies.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I love this post !!
Richard Gere as Gerbil-Boy, Brad Pitt lauded for jumping Jennifer's bones and common sense plus Danny Glover is no Jesse Jackson.
I can only add Jesse Jackson is no Martin Luther King and remember everything bad is that "KUNTT" Jane Fonda's fault !
[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top