Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 9:59:13 AM EDT
Anyone who owns a gun in Britain must be nuts.

http://[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20020116/en/adam_ant_1.html[/url]

Wednesday January 16 6:06 AM ET

Adam Ant Committed to Mental Hospital

LONDON (AP) - Adam Ant, the flamboyant pop singer who scored hits in the 1980s, has been committed to a London psychiatric hospital after being arrested for firearms offenses, police said Wednesday.

The singer, whose real name is Stuart Goddard, was taken to the Royal Free Hospital by police on Monday - just 24 hours after he was accused of pulling out a gun at the Prince of Wales pub in north London.

Under the Mental Health Act, doctors will be able to hold Ant for 28 days while they assess his condition.

Goddard was charged on Saturday over the pub incident with possession of a firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, and with criminal damage and assault. He was bailed to appear at Highbury Magistrates Court on Friday.

The Mirror newspaper reported receiving a rambling phone call from Ant from inside the hospital.

``They've put me in the 'Alice in Wonderland' ward because they think I'm crazy,'' the tabloid quoted Ant as saying. ``The whole thing's a conspiracy and they are out to get me. I'm not mad.''

The singer, famous for his painted face and flamboyant dress sense, scored a string of hits including ``Stand and Deliver,'' ``Prince Charming,'' and ``Goody Two Shoes.'' He was scheduled to headline a 1980s nostalgia tour this spring.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been following this for a few days. Doesn't look too good for Stu.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Adam Ant.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]
4 weeks?  That sounds a little stiff of a punishment considering he wasn't allowed a trial.z
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Adam/Stu should have taken the tax exile route and left Limeyland long ago.  When he still had the chance.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Adam Ant's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
What the hell is this?

Goddard was charged on Saturday over the pub incident with possession of a firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence
View Quote

So did he have a gun or not? Or, do they just have one crime for both guns and non-guns on the other side of the pond?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What the hell is this?
Goddard was charged on Saturday over the pub incident with possession of a firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence
View Quote

So did he have a gun or not? Or, do they just have one crime for both guns and non-guns on the other side of the pond?
View Quote

Sounds like they treat them both the same.  We do too, at least theoretically -- rob a bank with a cap gun and you still go to prison for armed robbery.

BTW, another article had slightly better wording;  turns out the "Prince of Wales" is a bar (pub), not a person.  After I read the AP article above, I thought Adam Ant had threatened one of the royals!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
[B]...with intent to cause fear of violence[/B]

LOL! The Brits sure have a way with words — "My intent was to make you fearful of any violence which I may or may not have been planning on actually committing..."

[B]Anyone who owns a gun in Britain must be nuts.[/B]

Any gun owner who [B]lives in Britain[/B] must be nuts!

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[B]Anyone who owns a gun in Britain must be nuts.[/B]
View Quote

Real ... or imitation?

Or maybe phrase it this way ... Live or Memorex?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
To the tune of [u]Goodie two Shoes[/u]:

[s]Don't[/s] Can't Drink, [s]Don't[/S] Can't Smoke - What Do You Do??

If you live in England, you can't own a gun now.

LMFAO but I do feel sorry for him though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top