Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 9:00:39 PM EDT
I just sat through a 3-hour CCW course which was taught by deputies from the Ada County Sheriff's Department in Boise, ID.  In fact, it was the last one being offered by the department because the 3 instructors are retiring.  Wow, was I impressed.  They discussed the letter of the law regarding Idaho CCW, what they recommend a CCW holder do during a traffic stop, safe storage and handling, the various aspects of preparation for carrying, when it's legal to shoot, and what to expect after a shooting.  Among the things I learned was that the Idaho Driver's License system is connected to the CCW records system so that when they run a driver's license, the dispatcher will notify the deputy that the subject is a CCW holder...and the presenter actually said that the deputy breathes a sigh of relief when they hear that because they know that the person is interested in abiding by the law.  They mixed in a few "war" stories as well as some humor (like the time a fugitive from law actually answered YES to the "Are you a fugitive from law?" question on the CCW application).  But they were highly professional, earnest, and sincere in their concern that everybody understood the grave responsibility that goes along with carrying.  My already-healthy respect for LEOs has increased quite a bit.

-kill-9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top