Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/29/2010 6:11:54 AM EDT
So, I have always been a fan of detailing and I guess after a while I realized maybe this could be a way to make a little side money since my wife and I have a little one due any day now and she will be cutting her hours to spend time with baby.

So I took what I knew, learned a lot from a couple of detailing forums and put it all together and told a few friends. Lined up my first "professional" detail.

This car was thrashed, inside and out. The paint was scratched and marred every way possible. The interior had years of smoke residue and spills and dirty leather and..........

Feel free to critque. About half way through the 20hrs I wondered if I should finish or kill myself.

So anyways, here's some pics.

Dawn wash
Mothers claybar and lube
Another Dawn wash
Megs 105 on Cyan LC HT pad
Megs 205 on Tang LC HT pad
Dawn wash
IPA Wipedown
Zaino Z-AIO
Z-5
Z-6
Z-8
Megs APC on Wheel wells and interior carpets
Megs Leather cleaner
Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Gigantic scratch on quarter panel.

Scratches on roof.

Road line sprayer overspray and huge scratch.

2 passes

Half and half

I didn't get a lot of before interior pics. By this point I didn't care to document my suffering.

Roof scratches gone.

Huge scratch on quarter panel gone

Thrashed bumper corrected.

All done.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice Job, but dude this is Ar15.com not Autopia.org
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
So, are you a man whore? Just wondering with all that cologne.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You gots skillz son.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a great improvement.

I would still like to see the paint under halogens/sun to see if all the swirls were gone. If you did it all by hand, I am betting there are still some swirls left

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice Job, but dude this is Ar15.com not Autopia.org

That's where I learned everything. Place is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
TL Type S with an Automatic.

People.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, are you a man whore? Just wondering with all that cologne.

Friends car. He works in an office setting and doesn't get dirty for living.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like a great improvement.

I would still like to see the paint under halogens/sun to see if all the swirls were gone. If you did it all by hand, I am betting there are still some swirls left

No, it's corrected. I did it with a Griots RO, Lake Country Hydra-Tech pads, and Meguiars polishes.

I pulled it out for sun shots and the sun disappreared.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#9]
dawn wash really wasn't neccesary IMHO, if you used a machine polisher then all the max/sealant that was on there would have been removed by that. What machine did you use, PC, Flex?

Looks good especially for a first detail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#10]
looks way better, i need to do that to my truck
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

People.

It's a front wheel drive sedan...
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#12]
nice work!

you have learned a lot since your initial post about your SS.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice work. Makes my fingers hurt just looking at the photos!
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#14]

How much could someone expect to be charged for a top level detail on say... an explorer?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I charge $350 for SUV's.

It's all about where you live, and the price people are willing to pay

Quoted:

How much could someone expect to be charged for a top level detail on say... an explorer?

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I charge $350 for SUV's.

Quoted:

This is what I liek ot charge as well.  People shit when you tell them and they say they know a guy who will do a "full detail" for $65.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#17]
What did you do to get the interior clean?

I have a Jeep Liberty and the inside is filthy - but I can't figure out how to get the stains out without making it look worse.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Whose SS Trailblazer is that???
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#19]
wow, looks good.
Any recommendations on a good wax? I have tried Black (something, can't remember, Magic?) Turtle, Armorall on my bike, and it doesnt seem to last long, and now that i have a new car I am looking for a good wax.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I would gladly pay $300 or more for a detail like that on my car.  Nice job!
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#21]
NIce work.

I just learned a valuable lesson here in Florida. never ever will I ever buy a Black car again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I charge $350 for SUV's.

Quoted:

Thats inside and out? If so, thats not bad. I was thinking somewhere between 600-700....
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

People.

It's a front wheel drive sedan...

Plus, the 4 door model only came in automatic.  Want a manual?  Better get the two door, 6-speed with Brembo brakes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

wow, looks good.

Any recommendations on a good wax? I have tried Black (something, can't remember, Magic?) Turtle, Armorall on my bike, and it doesnt seem to last long, and now that i have a new car I am looking for a good wax.

Zaino. It's a bit involved initially but it lasts longer than anything else is easily maintained.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
wow, looks good.

Klasse All-in-One followed by Klasse Sealant Glaze.  These are acrylic-based sealants.  AIO is a one-step polish/wax that will remove oxidation and apply a layer of sealant.  SG is just a sealant, but it adheres better to a surface prepped with AIO.  They do not leave any white residue on rubber, vinyl, or textured plastic.  It also works on glass, metal, and plastic, as well as paint.

If you don't want a synthetic, Collinite #845 Insulator Wax is a good, durable wax.  However, waxes generally don't last as long as synthetic sealants.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#26]
come to NY often?

sweet job - there is good money to be made in detailing, especially in large offices or buildings, just going around with a detailing flyer and making a wash day, bring some friends and charge 30-50 a car for wash and armor all, but leave your fully detailed ride out front so when they come back they all the sudden want a full detail and build your business

good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy some P21S, you will thank me, P21S is a lifesaver for wheels I swear without it I would go insane. Also if you are using a rotary machine make sure you buy a paint meter it will save your ass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
NIce work. +1

I just learned a valuable lesson here in Florida. never ever will I ever buy a Black car again.

I learned that lesson long ago.  A black car with two-tone black and grey leather seats cooking in the NC sun all day = near instant death the moment you set foot inside.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
NIce work. +1

I learned that lesson long ago.  A black car with two-tone black and grey leather seats cooking in the NC sun all day = near instant death the moment you set foot inside.

I love my truck and my CTS-V.  Both are Black.  Nothing looks better than black!
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
dawn wash really wasn't neccesary IMHO, if you used a machine polisher then all the max/sealant that was on there would have been removed by that. What machine did you use, PC, Flex?

Looks good especially for a first detail.

I do the Dawn wash for 2 reasons, neither of which do I have any proof of their authenticity:

1) Most waxes have fillers. Filler mask and hide swirls and scratches or alter their appearence in some way. When I do a correction, I wanna see what I am working with from the get go as opposed to polishing wax out of the scratches and then polishing the new and improved scratches out.

2) I would *assume* that any amount of wax on the surface you remove with your pads will obviously end up in the pores of your pads, hindering their cutting ability.

Little piece of mind for a 10 minute Dawn wash and leaf blower dry/wipedown.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What did you do to get the interior clean?

I have a Jeep Liberty and the inside is filthy - but I can't figure out how to get the stains out without making it look worse.

Av.

I used Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner 20:1 on the leather and 10:1 on the carpets. Spray directly on carpets, spray some water and extract with Shop-Vac. Then repeat with water only. Quick wipe with towel. Repeat tough spots if necessary.

Leather is small sections: spray on microfiber towel and wipe till clean. Follow up with regular damp microfiber for a "rinse." I have read arguments about leather conditioners and treatments and their usefulness.

That's what I did anyways. An admitted beginner. LoL
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Whose SS Trailblazer is that???

Mine. I got some new super sexy pics I'll post when I get home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice job.

Always amazes me how filthy some people can be, especially in their cars.  That interior pic is disgusting.  Kinda defeats the purpose of having the cologne.  I guess the cologne is there to mask the stench that gets on your buddy when he rides around in that filthy car.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#37]
damn that car was thrashed dude needs to learn how to take care of his car. Its amazing what a proper detail and paint correction will do for a car.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
wow, looks good.

Zaino. It's a bit involved initially but it lasts longer than anything else is easily maintained.  

This.

I can help you pick some products depending on your vehicle color. It can be confusing at first.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Why the KS plates? I thought you lived on the MO side of town.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Not his car.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not his car.

Yeah, doesn't exactly look like Johnson county.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Buy some P21S, you will thank me, P21S is a lifesaver for wheels I swear without it I would go insane. Also if you are using a rotary machine make sure you buy a paint meter it will save your ass.

I have seriously considered this. I like what I have seen from it. I just ordered a gallon of Megs Wheel Brightener, so it will be a while.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

It looks almost exactly like the "Wyandotte County" section of Johnson County that I lived in from '93-'03 and '06-'10 (Downtown OP). A lot of PV and RP looks just like that too.

... and then there's Olathe.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice job!

Doing a proper detail job is a long and involved process...and yes, sometimes you really do get the urge to pull the M&P out of your holster and end it all right there, but the results are worth it.

Since this is your first job for someone else, prepare for one of the worst feelings in the world: Seeing what the person who owns the car will do to it.

The first time I detailed a vehicle for someone else it was a friend and it was a labor of love with over 30 hours spent on the vehicle. He sold the vehicle shortly after. I saw the vehicle a couple of months after that...swirled all to hell, covered in bird droppings, etc.

Well, you can tell from the before shot this guys not much better. LoL.

He's gonna sell this and buy a Lexus IS350 and already discussed a correction on it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not his car.

Actually, its Prairie Village. Where the semi rich/hippies live.

I just leave M O cause I only live about 500 feet from the state line and I'm a M O Hometowner at heart.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd like to have this done to my wife's Explorer. Kids are hell on the interior of a car and we are finally getting past the gross phase of childhood.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Next time I'm in town wanna do my Envoy?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks almost exactly like the "Wyandotte County" section of Johnson County that I lived in from '93-'03 and '06-'10 (Downtown OP). A lot of PV and RP looks just like that too.

... and then there's Olathe.

You fuckers dissin my hood?

This is a nice neighbirhood. Just because my yard sucks doesn't mean the neighborhood sucks.

It just means I'd rather polish the SS than spread fertilizer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Jesus, nice work.

Black '09 BMW, and I'm trying all kinds of voodoo to keep it nice and glossy looking...
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Jesus, nice work.

Black '09 BMW, and I'm trying all kinds of voodoo to keep it nice and glossy looking...

Clay bar is your friend.
I would spend time detailing my car if it was more valuable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top