Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 2:41:47 PM EDT
www.acousticalart.com/pages/3/index.htm

I could make those speakers for a hell of a lot less than that, no way in hell the PVC fittings cost $1500
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup overpriced electronics for the yuppie must have sharper image crowd.

Not to mention PVC pipe would resonate horribly too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'll buy a pair and join the Blue Man Group.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think I'll buy a pair and join the Blue Man Group.
www.blueman.com/image/newwork/mg/downloads/bmg_Drumbone800x600.bmp

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Those are really, really stupid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
No way, Jose!

I have friends that sometimes bring their dogs to my house to visit.  These look WAAAAAAAAAY too much like fire hydrants.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

would it? even if it were insulated?  they do like kinda cool, in a different sort of way, its be kinda cool to build some like it...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

would it? even if it were insulated?  they do like kinda cool, in a different sort of way, its be kinda cool to build some like it...

Yeah I think they would,  you would have to dampen the inside of the pipe with clay or one of the asphalt based materials out there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I think they would,  you would have to dampen the inside of the pipe with clay or one of the asphalt based materials out there.

maybe something like dynamat would work?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The specs are pretty horrible:

Frequency Range   80 Hz – 20kHz

Sensitivity   85dB (1watt/1meter)

Nominal Impedance   8Ω

Recommended Amplifier   25-100 watts/channel

Dimensions (HxWxD)   14 x 9 x 10 (inches)

Weight   8.5 pounds

Connection  WBT brand binding post

Color Availability   White, Black, Red, Yellow, Gray

They are inefficient (85dB sensitivity),  have no bass to speak of,  and handle only 100 watts.  And since they weigh only 8.5 lbs each, you can pretty much forget any damping of the PVC or even decent drivers (which would weigh more than that alone). All this for only $2499 a pair??   Sign me up!!!

The sad thing is there are tons of idiots that will buy these and think they got  a deal.....   I must be in the wrong business.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
If they changed their name to  Bose they would sell shitloads of the crap.  Oh wait someone already did that.

You can find some really good internet only speakers out there, I don't  think that these fit in that category.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll expect to see them this summer being sold out of the back of a white van at the car wash....
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
all he has to do is sell one...thats a profit
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
You want to roll your own?  Build any of these:

www.pispeakers.com
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

www.pispeakers.com

interesting concept.  But damn they are ugly

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.pispeakers.com

interesting concept.  But damn they are ugly

yeah, i want something aesthetically better
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe something like dynamat would work?

Yeah thats the "asphalt based material" I was thinking of.  Or a resonable facsimile.

I remember seeing some DIYs built into a column of basalt and another set in an enclosure build out of laminated rings (looked sweet, no parallel or perpendicular walls).  But I can't seem to find links for either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldnt but them, Im the I dont care how it looks type of person.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#18]
If they changed their name to Bose they would sell shitloads of the crap. Oh wait someone already did that.

Well Said!! BOSE (pronounced "Blows") is about the shittiest product with the best marketing ever!  I work in a high-end A/V shop and we keep a $600 pair of BOSE on display to show how much better our entry-level $200 Paradigm's sound.  But some morons just won't disband with their stupid brand driven preconceptions.... As they say "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If they changed their name to Bose they would sell shitloads of the crap. Oh wait someone already did that.

Well Said!! BOSE (pronounced "Blows") is about the shittiest product with the best marketing ever!  I work in a high-end A/V shop and we keep a $600 pair of BOSE on display to show how much better our entry-level $200 Paradigm's sound.  But some morons just won't disband with their stupid brand driven preconceptions.... As they say "A fool and his money are soon parted."

I got a set of Bose speakers with my computer, and they work pretty well.

EDIT - never mind, theyre Boston Acoustics.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Those speakers are awesome!!

If you're a liberal pussy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Horrible material to make a speaker cabinet out of.  Best is reinforced CONCRETE with rubber crumb in it.  But since that is heavy, two layers of 3/4" MDF with a heavy layer of mastic between the layers is pretty good.  

The test is run the speaker at its rated power with a good source.  Place your hand on the speaker.  If you feel anything, that is wasted acoustical energy.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I own a small electronics shop that deals with speakers from time to time and from the pic I can't possibly see how they could sound any good.  Might be fun to try and build???  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Call me old fashioned but I think speakers should be HEARD and not SEEN.  

If could build a dedicated Home Theater setup I'd do it like a REAL theater and nothing would be seen but the screen (that is unless I wanted to show off the components).
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I own a small electronics shop that deals with speakers from time to time and from the pic I can't possibly see how they could sound any good.  Might be fun to try and build???  

i was thinkin the same thing...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Call me old fashioned but I think speakers should be HEARD and not SEEN.  

If could build a dedicated Home Theater setup I'd do it like a REAL theater and nothing would be seen but the screen (that is unless I wanted to show off the components).

yet quite true...
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Then again, the entry level Paradigms sound a lot better than a LOT of other speakers costing several times the money.  Paradigm is probably the most under rated speaker out there, by everybody except those that own them.  I'm a very happy owner of 4 Studio 60's, Studio CC and a Servo-15. Not cheap, but superior to anything at its price level.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice setup Gus!  I wish I could afford a Servo 15.  I've got a full Monitor setup myself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll keep my Martin Logans
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'll keep my Martin Logans

Snob!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top