Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 12:01:25 PM EDT
I just got my accuwedge in less than an hour ago and it is already in the garbage.  It was so thick I don't think even a vise could have closed my upper and lower.  And if for some reason I did get it closed, there would be no way in hell I would ever get it open again.  I shaved off at least half of it and still could not get my upper and lower to close all the way.  Once I got it part way in.  It wouldn't go in or out the rest of the way.  I had to pound out my pin with a rubber mallet.  After that little fiasco it went straight into the garbage.  Thank god I got a bunch of other stuff so I didn't get screwed on the shipping.  BTW, the rifle I was trying to get it in was an Armalite m15a2.  Do other guns have a lot more slack that allow the use of one of these?  OH well I just had to vent and see if others had the same experience.

Private Joker
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same experience myself. My rifles are way too tight to even think about getting that sucker in there. I saved mine in case I  run across a real loose lower/upper combination, but neither my Colt or Bushmaster wanted it. Oh well, I've wasted lots more money on stuff I'll never use.

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you put it in the right spot?  They go all the way to the rear, with the "point" to the rear also.  You probably had it right, but just checking.  
View Quote

Yeah, thats how I had it.

Glad it wasnt just me then.  Thanks A lot.

Private Joker
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Armalite, PWA, and RRA lowers have a higher "shelf" in the rear of the lower that is not milled as deeply as spec. This prevents a DIAS from dropping in. To put an accuwedge in, it must be cut very thin because there is very little clearance between the shelf and the lug. You will have to cut it to around 1/16" thick to get it in. Just use a thin piece of leather or some cleaning patches.

The only "unblocked" lower being sold is the BM.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Now my question is, why did you buy an Accuwedge for a rifle whos upper/lower fit is apparently already tight enough to not need one?

Michael
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You're suppose to cut it down to fit, there's too many variations for one size fits all.

If it's the red rubber deal, get a razor blade and slice a little off until it's just right.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Private Joker: Pop for a JP Tensioning Pin...if you have a sloppy fit.  THEY WORK!

[img]http://www.jpar15.com/tenpin.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My fit isn't sloppy.  Verticaly it doesnt move.  Horizontaly it moves just slightly.  I was looking to remove that.  Maybe I'll dig it out of the garbage and trim it some more.

Private Joker
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Why worry about a little play to begin with?

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#13]
titanium firing pin do something - they chip and puncture primers
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you put it in the right spot?  They go all the way to the rear, with the "point" to the rear also.  You probably had it right, but just checking.  
View Quote

Yeah, thats how I had it.

Glad it wasnt just me then.  Thanks A lot.

Private Joker
View Quote

Use a foam ear plug.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a BM Dissipator and I had to trim mine to go in. Wasn't any play to begin with but for $2 it can't hurt.[^]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Where do they sell these things? The gap between my upper and lower seems excessive and I do have an annoying rattle that I can't seem to locate(after each shot fired). Two bucks will be a small price to pay if it works.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Where do they sell these things? The gap between my upper and lower seems excessive and I do have an annoying rattle that I can't seem to locate(after each shot fired). Two bucks will be a small price to pay if it works.
View Quote

http://www.fultonarmory.com/

Bulldog Out
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#20]
ArmaLite: Here's a neat technical fact: The looseness between the upper and lower has NO effect on accuracy. [snip] In fact, being too tight puts stress on the parts that will lead to earlier failure.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getsome: Where do they sell these things? The gap between my upper and lower seems excessive and I do have an annoying rattle that I can't seem to locate(after each shot fired). Two bucks will be a small price to pay if it works.
View Quote

Good point ArmaLite!

Getsome, if you can't find one, email me - I've got a few "extras."
They'll help shut the rattle up, BUT they [b][u]will not close the gap[/u][/b] between your upper & lower!
As a matter of fact an Acu-wedge will hold [i]your gap[/i]® open as wide as possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top