Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2011 5:10:12 AM EDT
Looked at a sign at Academy Sports yesterday, saying you must be 21 to buy a pistol grip shotgun. When I asked was this their policy I was told it was federal law. They explained that a shoulder stock with a pistol grip was not a -pistol grip- as such only one with only pistol grip was restricted to as concealable weapon. Any one know if this is law??
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:27:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hayboy:
Looked at a sign at Academy Sports yesterday, saying you must be 21 to buy a pistol grip shotgun. When I asked was this their policy I was told it was federal law. They explained that a shoulder stock with a pistol grip was not a -pistol grip- as such only one with only pistol grip was restricted to as concealable weapon. Any one know if this is law??

A pistol grip (no shoulder stock) shotgun is not a "shotgun." Only long guns, shotguns and rifles, can be sold by a FFL to a person under the age of 21. A pistol grip shotgun is technically just a "firearm". With that said, is has nothing to do with a "concealable weapon" unless it is under 26 inches overall at which time it becomes a Title II AOW.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:22:07 AM EDT
Federal law defines a shotgun as being designed to fire from the shoulder. A pistol grip shotgun does not meet that definition.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:53:39 AM EDT
So I guess they are law abiding with their sales.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:42:44 AM EDT
They sell a Mossberg that comes with a stock installed, and a pistol grip in the box. Link My brother picked one up right after his 18th birthday, in '05. The guy behind the counter asked if it was for zombies... I didn't have the sense of humor I do now, and gave him the look.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:48:21 AM EDT
You need to realize that federal law restricts the sale of ANY firearm to 21 and over.

It then makes a specific exception for long guns (rifles and shotguns) but the law also defines both as 'designed to be fired from the shoulder.'

Remove the butt-stock and the gun i no longer 'designed to be fired from the shoulder' and the21 old limit applies.

This is why actions are also restricted.

They do not meet the legal definition of a long gun.
Top Top