Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 9:23:09 PM EDT
channels.netscape.com/ns/love/package.jsp?name=fte/virginat18/virginat18

Virgin at 18? Here's a Big Payoff!
Netscape ^ | 5/20/2005

Teens who remain virgins throughout high school may think they're missing out on some of the fun, but the reality is their sexually active peers are the ones missing out.

The study: A new study from the Christian group Focus on the Family analyzed data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth that was conducted in waves from 1979 to 2000 with 3,750 men and 3,620 women. It controlled for ethnicity and previous educational or economic disadvantage. About half the students were virgins at 18 and half were not. Students were surveyed at age 18 and again at age 38.

The results: When the two groups were evaluated 20 years after their high school graduation, the data showed that both the male and female high school students who remained virgins at least until age 18 enjoyed huge advantages as adults, compared to those who had had sex in high school:

1. They completed an average of one year more of higher education.
   2. Their incomes were 20 percent higher.
   3. They had about half the risk of divorce.

"It is very much as we suspected--that adolescent virginity has a significant impact on well-being in middle adulthood," said lead study author Reginald Finger, M.D. "We found, as well, that these better outcomes were not merely the result of avoiding teenage pregnancy or fatherhood. The outcomes are inherent to remaining abstinent. In addition, we found that female virgins were more likely than their non-virgin counterparts to have a positive financial net worth and were almost half as likely as non-virgins to use welfare benefits."

The research findings were published in the journal Adolescent and Family Health.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah right. That survey isn't biased at all right?  What a pile of crap, if your kids are bible thumping social rejects they are much likely to be successful.  Keep on believing, I loved all the preacher's daughters.    With such obviously full of crap stories I always consider the source, do you?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
And I'd imagine the virgins had a lower rate of teen pregnancy, lower rates of STDs, and so on......

(of course, if I post in this thread, it automatically goes downhill....sorry)

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it still work if you were trying to get laid?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A new study from the Christian group .

That's akin to asking Sarah Brady about Gun Control
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heathens aren't exactly in the habit of studying the positive benefits of abstinence, y'know...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No I'm sure its all true... lets see:

1. They completed an average of one year more of higher education.  nothing better to do than study right?
2. Their incomes were 20 percent higher.  than what/who?
3. They had about half the risk of divorce.and 5% of the risk of marriage
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heathens aren't exactly in the habit of studying the positive benefits of abstinence, y'know...

Heathens ??

No wait ...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]
In a different study, a researcher in St. Louis recently discovered that people from Denmark are not only more attractive than all other people, but also smarter!  

The study was a result of a survey (I asked my cats), direct observation (I looked in a mirror) and quantitative statistical analysis (I flipped a coin).

You can't argue with science, folks!  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heathens ??

No wait ...

The point was, who else do you expect to study the positive benefits of abstinence?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
A new study from the Christian group Focus on the Family analyzed data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A new study from the Christian group Focus on the Family analyzed data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth

Shouldn't that be the National Study of Horizontal Youth?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The point was, who else do you expect to study the positive benefits of abstinence?

How about ANYONE other then a group of morally repressed zealots .
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about ANYONE other then a group of morally repressed zealots .

So I'm a morally repressed zealot?

Whatever.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
It's all probably true but the other side doesn't want to assert the benefits of their pre-marital sex.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So I'm a morally repressed zealot?

Whatever.

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
i wanna hear taxmans opinion on this
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#18]
So, who you trying to convince here? The parents or the kids?

I'm sure that all you parent's out there already don't want your high schoolers to be having sex. Just like I'm sure all your high schoolers are dreaming about the day they first get laid (if they havn't already ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top