Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2001 3:48:10 PM EDT
Finally found a store that carried this stuff, been looking for quite some time.

I'm going to test is on a rail of my RAS first to see if this works and will actually come off easily.

So any feedback from those of us who have already done this???  So I will tape off my flattop and the irons.  I was planning to coat first in one color, and layer the other colors on top.  Is this a good method, if so, what order should I do the colors?

Any suggestions on patterns and how to make this look good, not sloppy?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used this type of stuff on a shotgun a few years ago.  If I remember correct it comes off with some chemical also the same brand as the product...can't remember what brand it was.  

What brand do you get and what store?

Tiger Stripe is always cool.

Also, check out this web page..you can get a custom stock done...The page is still under construction, but you can email the owner.

[url]www.airfyre.com[/url]

medcop
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Medcop, they didn't have the spray off chemical so I'm going to try paint thinner in a dilute concentration first.  If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to put this project on hold.

I want to do a woodland camo, but they didn't have brown, so I have a tan, 3 shades of green and black.

I've been looking for this stuff for a while now, but I finally stumbled across it today at a army surplus store called Uncle Sams.  They had horrible prices and nothing interesting, but they did have bowflage for $3.50 a can.  The can says "H.S. (hunters specialties) CAMO Bowflage".
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It will also come off with a good bore cleaner and a cloth. Try a DIcks or similar store near you. They sell it in a 4-5 color kit with remover for about $20.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I'm about half-way through, and I'm running dangerously low of leaf green, which I was using as the base color.  I bought a little box of 4 colors (4 oz cans) for $12, but it didn't come with a remover.  And that was the last kit left, there were severals cans of OD and Black, but that's it.

I tried the thinner, and it also worked well in removing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you kindly post pics when you're done?

Does the paint thinner or "removing product" harm the underlying finish in any way?

This would be great for those who want to hunt with AR15's and keep a low profile about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It took me four hours to get that shit off my AR. Next time I am going to leave it on for a LONG time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It took me four hours to get that shit off my AR. Next time I am going to leave it on for a LONG time.
View Quote

Well thanks for warning me!  Actually I was more concerned that the next time I decide to clean the gun that the Hoppes with take it all off, thus wasting all of my effort.

Well, several hours later, and the mission was semi successful.  I did not get the camo pattern that I had planned for, but I am still happy with the results.

Like I said, I ran out of my light green, so instead I used a tan as a base.  I did not have a brown, so I used overlapping sprays of OD and a forest green.  

So the resulting 'camo' is an interesting creation.  Sort of a mix bettern a HK desert camo and a USGI woodland.

Looks a bit like this:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/HKocher%2Fcamom4s%2Ejpg[/img]

Unfortunately those are not my two rifles, but I believe they have a bowflage finish as well, because the colors are very similar to those that came with my kit.

I don't have a digital camera, but I will take some pics and scan them it, but that could take a while.  Please don't make fun of the camo job because it is my first.

As far as paint thinner damaging the finish, I would not believe so, but I will dilute it to be safe.  

Summary:  Several hours (wasted?) and several ounces of toxic fumes inhaled later, it was a fun experiment.  The results were pretty good, although not exactly as planned.

I'd do it again, but next time buy a lot more cans and more find a brown color.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
After a second look, the camo pattern turned out to look almost exactly like this odd woodland camo pattern on a rare HK53 variant...

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/image/Gr2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GOOD LORD!!! Medcop that place kicks ASS!!!

i just found my next stock!

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/The%5FBeer%5FSlayer%2Fusar15%2Egif[/img]

mike
View Quote

I thought the same thing...I am going to get one done in Tiger Stripe first...maybe the flag next.

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top