Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 1:11:58 PM EDT
6.5 Billion People
Today at 7:16 p.m. EST, the population of Earth is projected to reach 6.5 billion people. According to a March 2004 U.S. Census Bureau report, the world population hit 6 billion in June 1999. "This figure is over 3.5 times the size of the Earth's population at the beginning of the 20th century and roughly double its size in 1960," the report noted. Perhaps more amazing was the short time required to increase the planet's population from 5 to 6 billion -- just 12 years
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i hate to say it because it could affect people i personally know or myself but... something really bad better happen to get rid of all this excess... theres whole countries of people starving already, its only going to get worse. i believe this is why aids and cancer were "invented"  ( yeah i realize how that sounded, i meant it to sound that way )
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you implying, Mars is the next frontier?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i hate to say it because it could affect people i personally know or myself but... something really bad better happen to get rid of all this excess... theres whole countries of people starving already, its only going to get worse. i believe this is why aids and cancer were "invented"  ( yeah i realize how that sounded, i meant it to sound that way )

The planet can easily sustain these numbers and more.  The problems with starvation are because of poor management, not because of overpopulation or lack of global resources.

The population of the planet will eventually stabilize (growth rates have been dropping for decades already) and it's not going to be the huge problem that environmentalist nutjobs think it is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No, I think he thinks The Stand should be more than a work of fiction. With him as a survivor, of course.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yep.

Thats why I get worried when people try to find cures for things like that or stop wars.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
overpopulation will never be a problem.

mother nature has ways of dealing with such things on her own. Famine, disease, natual disaster just for a start. the earth has a finite amout of population it can support. I don't think we are even close yet.

^

What he said. People don't like to look at it this way, but mother nature has alot of tools to use to combat overpopulation (eruptions, tsunamis, fires, earthquakes, etc).
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

...you are suggesting that cancer is a man-made creation...?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The planet can easily sustain these numbers and more.  The problems with starvation are because of poor management, not because of overpopulation or lack of global resources.

The population of the planet will eventually stabilize (growth rates have been dropping for decades already) and it's not going to be the huge problem that environmentalist nutjobs think it is.

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I think he thinks The Stand should be more than a work of fiction. With him as a survivor, of course.

You bastard!  I'm only 10% of the way through it... and now I know most of them die?

Thanks a lot.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Time will make more converts than reason.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Go ask Ted Turner or the UN about overpopulation.
They have already written key papers on solving the overpopulation problem.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Another Malthus. And just as wrong as the first one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
you can fit everyone in the world in the state of texas and have the population density of NY City.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
you can fit everyone in the world in the state of texas and have the population density of NY City.  

WHAAAAAT!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#16]
There's room on earth for everyone and more.

The room for stupidity is running out though.

GM
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Soylent Green is coming!  Bewaaaaaaare!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

38.8 people per acre, or 1 person per 34 foot square area (1156 square feet).  Pretty danged tight.  If you leave half of that room for roads, etc., each person gets a 24 foot square area, about the size of a large living room.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like it's time for our semi annual 'overpopulation' thread.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not really interested in depopulating the earth to the point that I'll need to grow my own food.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

38.8 people per acre, or 1 person per 34 foot square area (1156 square feet).  Pretty danged tight.  If you leave half of that room for roads, etc., each person gets a 24 foot square area, about the size of a large living room.

Or they build UP like it happens in most cities.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...you are suggesting that cancer is a man-made creation...?

i was being sarcastic when i said "invented"  hence the " " around the word
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
the problem with evironmentalists who say we have too many people is that They never set the example by leaving...we wouldn't have the problem if all the people that complained about the problem would eliminate themselves and rid us of the problem.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they build UP like it happens in most cities.

Yeah, I'm not saying that I'm worried about overpopulation, I'm just doing the math.

People who worry about overpopulation would look at the numbers I gave and say, "OMG, that's way too tight, that would be terrible!  The huge state of Texas, filled that much with people?  OMFG!"  But just imagine - the ENTIRE remainder of the world absolutely empty of people.  Suddenly it doesn't seem that bad.

EDITED TO ADD:

If you take the entire land area of the Earth and divide it by half (to make sure you're only counting land that can support people - you know, getting rid of the Sahara, Antarctica and France), every person on Earth would be able to have about 2.6 acres.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm am so happy to hear a professor say this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#26]

It's not that 6.5 Billion is too many humans.  It's just that about 4 billion of them are completely useless and a drain on resources.  They only consume, live their pathetic little lives and give nothing back except more humans that continue the consumption cycle.
Would be nice to genengineer a contagious virus that only kills humans below a certain IQ level.  

Fritz

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's not that 6.5 Billion is too many humans.  It's just that about 4 billion of them are completely useless and a drain on resources.  They only consume, live their pathetic little lives and give nothing back except more humans that continue the consumption cycle.
Would be nice to genengineer a contagious virus that only kills humans below a certain IQ level.  

Fritz

the tried that once but the "hold my beer and watch this" strain only affected rednecks

There is still the darwin virus that still takes its fair share of stupid people, redneck or not.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Fritz

How is consumption a bad thing?  Consumers provide producers with the ability to keep on producing.  Idiots make the best consumers.

Please, Her Fritz, tell us who should live and who should die.

If it's one thing Darwinian Evolution has done for us it's definately cheapened the value many place on human life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You bastard!  I'm only 10% of the way through it... and now I know most of them die?

Thanks a lot.

Most of them are dead by where you are at, anyways. Enjoy reading. You reading a copy of the first version of the book or Kings later expanded version?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top