Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 9:15:02 PM EDT
Here are a few pictures of a sample from a weld coupon that I had to certify on. AC on about .032, 2219 material. It passed. Zero allowable penetration or suckback. Cake!

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:20:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pangea:
Here are a few pictures of a sample from a weld coupon that I had to certify on. AC on about .032, 2219 material. It passed. Zero allowable penetration or suckback. Cake!

usera.imagecave.com/Pangea/Mvc-003f.jpg
usera.imagecave.com/Pangea/Mvc-002f.jpg
usera.imagecave.com/Pangea/MVC-001F.JPG

I don't know what the stuff in red means but that looks like a good weld to me!

I can ARC weld a little but I'm slow and sloppy.

Mig & Tig I'm just guessing at what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:21:05 PM EDT
DAYUM!!!! nice weld.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:23:48 PM EDT
Show off bastard.

Damn fine weld.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:23:49 PM EDT
wow, that is nice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:25:07 PM EDT
Actually that is the worst part of the coupon. I turned in the two quarters that looked best.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:51:18 PM EDT
Very nice weld, but why was there no allowable penetration?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:56:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Very nice weld, but why was there no allowable penetration?

Specifications. Some specs call for -0- penetration on butt welds too. No T joint spec that I have seen in my 26+ years of welding allows penetration, only consumption of the corner. But then I haven't seen everything. (like a man eating his own head)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:20:37 AM EDT
Good job. Too bad it is not like welding a bike.

At work in someone's window there is a qual coupon that looks pretty ratty.

In a woman's writing, no less, someone wrote something like Don't waste our time, the companies money, and your own reputation by calling yourself a welder.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:26:36 AM EDT
You just ruined my morning. I'm about to go out and fire up my welder and that is going to be on my mind. That is beautiful work!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:28:55 AM EDT

what's a weld coupon?

do you get a discount on your next weld?

I don't know very much about welding
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:37:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xxTAPxx:

what's a weld coupon?

A weld coupon is a discount coupon given to all qualified welders to get into Weld World. Weld World is like Disneyworld with rides and exibitions and petting zoos. Too bad that you aren't a welder of I would invite you to join all of us on our next excursion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:37:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xxTAPxx:

what's a weld coupon?

+ 1
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:39:17 AM EDT
Nice bead. I need more practice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 6:46:24 AM EDT by BlammO]
A weld coupon is what you see in the pictures.

It's a test to obtain a welders' certification..

ETA: It requires great skill and attention to a lot of changing factors while the weld is taking place to do what Pangea did above. Thin aluminum is one of the most challenging materials to weld without destroying or severely warping it. By not penetrating the base metal, and yet still obtaining a very clean and even bead, Pangea has demonstrated complete mastery over all of the many factors that are at play. It's a beautiful piece of work if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:41:40 AM EDT
Beauty, eh!

A weld coupon is simply a sample of a particualr weld procedure that a welder provides to a CWI (Certified Welding Inspector) to verify that the welder is performing the procedure correctly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:44:52 AM EDT
I had to cut coupons out of a BIG sheet of 1/2" aluminum for shop class once. Used a circular saw with a carbide tipped blade. Damn I wish I had some ear plugs then.

Oh, nice weld.

ByteTheBullet
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:35 AM EDT
I am just now getting into welding. I bought a book and have decided to try and self teach myself how to weld. I am looking at getting a Hobart Handler 180 MIG as my first welder. I figured for what I am wanting to do it will be a good machine to start with and give me PLENTY of room to grow into it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:54:19 AM EDT
That's real art, there.

Folks, he can probably do the same on a vertical or overhead weld just as well.

.032 would be the thickness, 2219 the kind of aruminum (they have this thing now called "Google" - get off yer butt), and "coupon" sounds like a sample piece done under supervision to prove your capabilities and get certified for a particular kind of welding.

Tips for Welding I students:

A. Don't buy used coveralls from the industrial uniform place and have a go at the booth when there's a shortage of aprons .
B. If you do, stay near the quench tank, to put out your flaming crotch.
c. The smoke should stop when you lift the rod.
D. Top of footwear should always overlap the cuff of your pants (inside), for reasons that became obvious.

Pangea, that's something to be proud of.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:04:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BlammO:
A weld coupon is what you see in the pictures.

It's a test to obtain a welders' certification..

ETA: It requires great skill and attention to a lot of changing factors while the weld is taking place to do what Pangea did above. Thin aluminum is one of the most challenging materials to weld without destroying or severely warping it. By not penetrating the base metal, and yet still obtaining a very clean and even bead, Pangea has demonstrated complete mastery over all of the many factors that are at play. It's a beautiful piece of work if you ask me.

I'm not trying to belittle the work at all. I think it looks great.
I just didn't know that weld certifications are called coupons.
Now I do, thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:09:33 AM EDT
You smoke my welds! Nice looking job.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:25:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 7:26:40 AM EDT by jcncc]
Congrats most excellent. If you can Tig like that no sweat getting hired anywhere. I assume it's TIG?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:32:51 AM EDT

Nice work. Being an electrician, I'm curious what kind of voltage / amperage is used, to do something like this on such thin stock.

Comments ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:39:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 7:41:25 AM EDT by Pangea]
TIG, AC, machine set to 125 amps but only used about 110 on the pot/foot controll. Argon shield gas, 2% thoriated 3/32 tungsten ground to about 40 degree with a flat tip. 3/32 2319 wire to chill the puddle fast. That stops the burn through and suckback dead in its tracks.

I'll try some Coke cans tomorrow to see if I still can weld them together like when I was younger. AC, about 50 amps with 1/16 4043 wire. That'll seperate the men from the boys real quick! Just hope I don't embarrass myself!

This welding stuff is easy. I used to have a job kicking lions in the ass.

eta I don't need a job, unless you've heard something from management that I haven't yet!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:41:23 AM EDT
Nice job.

I cant even make a bead on 1/4" steel.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:42:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:44:21 AM EDT
Now I know who to contact if I ever need some welding done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:51:51 AM EDT
That is one hell of a T-joint weld.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:54:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:10:49 AM EDT
Weld world? Who the fuck wants to go to weld world. Now GYNO world on the other hand I can show you wonders.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:36:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
Weld world? Who the fuck wants to go to weld world. Now GYNO world on the other hand I can show you wonders.

Yeah, but would you get us into the premium ride sections?

BTW, what an amazing weld. Dang

TXL
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:31:37 AM EDT
very nice

now do the same test with a 1/8" plate and a .032 tube to the same standards andI'll see about giving you my blessing

( I certifly welds/ welders (AWS CWI) for a living and what you have there looks good. But I would like to know what it is you are welding that has that type of criteria.)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:48:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By roguetrader:
very nice

now do the same test with a 1/8" plate and a .032 tube to the same standards andI'll see about giving you my blessing

( I certifly welds/ welders (AWS CWI) for a living and what you have there looks good. But I would like to know what it is you are welding that has that type of criteria.)

I was wondering the same thing.

Pangea, do you work at the Lab in Oak Ridge or for Y-12?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:56:38 AM EDT
Wow, damn fine job. I'm not even remotely close to being that good. I need to go practice some more.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:04:56 AM EDT
It's been a LOOONG time since I've welded, but that is a nice-looking weld!!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:07:19 AM EDT
I also always wondered why they call it a "coupon".

Whenever I hear the word "coupon", I think of Ron White's comedy sketch.................................coopin.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:07:48 AM EDT
Damm fine work.

I tried my hand at MIG once. After a little practice, I got a semi-decent bead on thick-assed steel plate. Miles away from that kind of work, though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 10:11:48 AM EDT by KScoltAR]

TIG, AC, machine set to 125 amps but only used about 110 on the pot/foot controll. Argon shield gas, 2% thoriated 3/32 tungsten ground to about 40 degree with a flat tip. 3/32 2319 wire to chill the puddle fast. That stops the burn through and suckback dead in its tracks.

In a college welding course I once took, we were taught to make a ball on the end of the tungsten to weld aluminum. Do you use that grounding method for all aluminum jobs, or does it help for performing that particular weld? Anyway, those are beautiful, and by the looks of things I'd bet you'll get those aluminum cans fused together no problem!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:39:38 AM EDT
Im not impressed till I see welded coke cans!

/me breaks out the JB weld
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:52:48 AM EDT
When you can lay a bead like that on two soda cans, then I'll be impressed...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:58:09 AM EDT
what do you want a medal?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:00:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By roguetrader:
very nice

You want it 6gR? Left handed or right handed. Shit man, it's just welding.

Sparky26, I build rockets for the Boeing Company in Alabama.

Dragracer_Art. You pick the brand of cans so you'll know I didn't just grab some picture off of the internet.

I like the pointed flat tip for 3/32 tungsten because a 3/32 ball would cause the arc to wander, increasing the juels and making it hard to control the puddle. For coke cans I'll use 1/16 tungsten.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:41:21 AM EDT
I taught myself to weld and I do a fair job of it, mostly SS and Al with Argon. I have allways noticed that even with a ground tip it will ball up on you when weld AL. What is the shape or contour of a flat tip (chisel) look like? I would like to try it on my next AL project. You are right about a balled tip wandering.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:17:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jcncc:
I taught myself to weld and I do a fair job of it, mostly SS and Al with Argon. I have allways noticed that even with a ground tip it will ball up on you when weld AL. What is the shape or contour of a flat tip (chisel) look like? I would like to try it on my next AL project. You are right about a balled tip wandering.

Thanks

Try striking on a piece of copper and running off onto your part. That will stabilize the arc if you have to use a ball tip and it works with a pointed/flat tip. The tungsten configuration that we use at work is sharpened to a point at 30-40 degree angle then just touch the tip slightly to flatten the point. If you try to ac with a point it will either make a ball or pop off giving you a tungsten inclusion that might fail X-Ray.

Most wandering is from using a too big tungsten for too low ampereage.

Mr. BeckettOfNevada, I didn't post this to ask you for a medal though you no doubt have plenty to spare. My intent was to share information with my peers who in the past have posted countless welding related topics. Tell you what. You go ahead and send me that medal if you want to.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:45:36 PM EDT

You want it 6gR? Left handed or right handed. Shit man, it's just welding.

true it is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:50:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 4:58:11 PM EDT by kindstranger]
DAYYYYYUUUUMMMMM!

If it weren't for the fact that I've been screwing around with my new Millermatic 205 for the last few months (first welder), I would have no appreciation for that.

...I thought I was getting the hang of it until this thread.

P.S., I've tried TIG and stick too. I've gone through 80 ft of Argon and about 160 ft of C25. Still, MIG, TIG, I don't care. It'll be years and enough gas and wire for the Hindenburg before I could ever have a chance to do that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:51:17 PM EDT
That looks GREAT!
Top Top