Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:54:37 PM EDT
Was shopping at Walmart with the wife when I passed a guy wearing an "OIF Combat Veteran" hat in one of the canned goods isles. I'm always one to strike up conversation with vets, and tell them I appreciate the sacrifices they've made. So I approached the guy and said, "Hi, so where were you at?" He stared at me blankly and asked, "what?" I replied, "your hat, where where you at in Iraq?" He broke eye contact and said, "Oh, I never deployed....um, orders got cancelled at the last minute." I was stunned, speechless. He tried making small talk and asked if I had been overseas. "Yeah, I did three combat deployments to Iraq."

It wasn't until I walked away that I fully processed the encounter and started to get angry. Why can't people be proud of what they did? Dude served his country,which is more than most have done. Isn't that enough? Why tarnish it with deception?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave people alone while they shop for canned goods...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not your job to go up to people and scrutinize them. Leave people alone and stop being a busy body.

I'm not saying impersonating a veteran is okay either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LOL!

"but seriously folks...."

I agree with the OP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

First post nails it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
At least he didn't lie and tell you he was spec ops/4th degree operator/seal
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This.

First post and all of that stuff
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Suprise, there's liars everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
That's why I would never wear a hat like that. Frankly I don't want to be bothered.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Didn't ask for a DD 214, dude. Was just trying to strike up a chat with a fellow vet. FWIW I thanked him for serving. Most vets appreciate the "thanks" if that's all that's exchanged, most like BSing with another vet. I met family members of dudes I served with and dudes who were in the same AO as me. Sometimes it's a small world.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
OP wrote:    "I'm always one to strike up conversation with vets, and tell them I appreciate the sacrifices they've made."

I'm a sucker for this, too.  I was at Wal-Mart today, and as I was leaving, I saw an older guy sitting on the bench by the end of the registers, wearing an old service ball cap stating he was a veteran of Korea.  I leaned over and asked him, "Is that your hat?"  He told me, "It always has been."  I offered my hand and thanked him for his service.  He still had a strong grip for his age, and held my hand longer than I expected.  He then told me, "I've got 27 bullet holes to prove it!"

This floored me....27 bullet holes?!?!?!  My God, the things that good men are forced to suffer through!  I compare his high level of honor and courage to the commies that are walking around this country, screwing up this country....  I walked out of there with some misty eyes, I tell ya.  God bless our troops, every one of them!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Anymore, I assume 87% of the people with blatant "look at me" veteran status stuff are attention whore posers.

Yes, I've gotten that cynical.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's why I would never wear a hat like that. Frankly I don't want to be bothered.

I think the "_______vet" hats look cheesy on anyone other than the elderly. Even more so once their Class A's vomit all over the hat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the "_______vet" hats look cheesy on anyone other than the elderly. Even more so once their Class A's vomit all over the hat.

I agree. I have a couple shirts from Iraq, but I never wear those either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
My dad has always worn an something with Army on it. He was a drill sgt. so over the years it has usually been a sweatshirt or cap with "this we'll defend". My wife got him a US Army Retired hat. He likes it. He doesn't wear Vietnam vet hats etc. or CIB hats.
I was talking to him the other day about his life. After a shitty childhood of poverty, the Army was the best thing that happened to him and the best part of his life. That's why he has always liked to wear something Army.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Especially canned goods.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#16]
maybe it's me but i'm also against wearing a hat like that if i haven't earned it.
i mean even ignoring "stolen valor" laws... I wear what I earned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You should have verbally skull fucked him.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a friend that is a retired special ops guy and he gets real pissed at people trying to represent themselves as vets, Navy SEALS, Recon, etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]
The only thing outside my home that indicates that I served are the Vet Plates I have on my vehicles. Most everyone I work or associate with are vets or retired vets. Most of us don't discuss our service unless we are bagging on one of the other branches when among friends.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
What's funny is when they claim to be something like... an Army Seal or a Space Shuttle Door Gunner.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.  It is a "need a buddy" invitation I don't extend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd first like to say that I love ALL our troops. I don't care if they're driving a truck state-side, shuffling papers or were washed-out after tearing tendons!

Now, that said . . . I'm kinda' wondering if any of you guys has had the same sort of experiences I've had recently - doing what you did, OP: asking (obvious) vets: how they're doing, what's their MOS, where they've been and thanking them for their service, etc, etc. See . . . the last few guys I said something to were . . . how to put it . . . ? Um, hard and indifferent, I guess. And, late last summer, when a bunch of buddies and I were out riding, we went into a bar and I approached a group of soldiers (young men and women) sitting at a table: seemingly having a good time. I walked up, apologized for interrupting, thanked them for their service and told them the next round was on me (as I gestured to the server). The blank stares and absolute silence were downright startling. I mean, hell! It was pretty obvious, from my leather (with army-related pins and patches all over it) that I was a vet too! It was awkward, to say the least - and I beat a hasty exit!

It caught me off-guard - and, after parting, it made me kinda' sad (for them) and bummed me out for the evening. WTF, I wondered . . . ?

I was just wondering if  something like that's happened to anyone else. God knows, our people have been through a helluva' lot - and it's only marginally getting better! And, I should add, there've been plenty of guys (all in uniform) I've just allowed to walk past - w/o me saying a word - 'cuz I've seen "that look" enough times to know better than to "bother them"! Not so much the "1K yd stare", mind you . . . more the "don't even talk to me mother-fucker look" (given to everyone)!

It's only been over the last year I've noticed this as the rule - rather than the exception. Anyone else?

*And BTW . . . . is it just me - or, are all our guys now the size of NFL linebackers?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  It is a "need a buddy" invitation I don't extend.

Nor do I, but if a guy did his time he can wear whatever he wants or put whatever stickers he wants on his truck. I don't need or want recognition. Hell of alot more guys gave alot more than me, Still, I will go out of my way to thank a vet if I see he's a service related item. I started out doing it with Vietnam veterans. One gentleman in San Fransico said I was the first person to recognize his service in forty years. I'm not looking for a "buddy" or trying to do a service review, just trying to give a "thanks" to guys that served.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
(snip)

Was the group in the bar in uniform?

Personally I don't want to be approached about being in the military. I understand people are trying to show appreciation, but I kind of prefer to be treated like anyone else. I don't wear anything that signals that I was in the military largely for that reason.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe it's just me......

But when people come up to me and 'Thank me for my service' I feel a bit embarrassed. I really don't know what to say to them. I'm proud as hell to be a Marine, but I just don't know how to respond.

Yes, I have deployed (4 times) and I'm not a paper pusher (before that band wagon starts)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd first like to say that I love ALL our troops. I don't care if they're driving a truck state-side, shuffling papers or were washed-out after tearing tendons!

Now, that said . . . I'm kinda' wondering if any of you guys has had the same sort of experiences I've had recently - doing what you did, OP: asking (obvious) vets: how they're doing, what's their MOS, where they've been and thanking them for their service, etc, etc. See . . . the last few guys I said something to were . . . how to put it . . . ? Um, hard and indifferent, I guess. And, late last summer, when a bunch of buddies and I were out riding, we went into a bar and I approached a group of soldiers (young men and women) sitting at a table: seemingly having a good time. I walked up, apologized for interrupting, thanked them for their service and told them the next round was on me (as I gestured to the server). The blank stares and absolute silence were downright startling. I mean, hell! It was pretty obvious, from my leather (with army-related pins and patches all over it) that I was a vet too! It was awkward, to say the least - and I beat a hasty exit!

It caught me off-guard - and, after parting, it made me kinda' sad (for them) and bummed me out for the evening. WTF, I wondered . . . ?

I was just wondering if  something like that's happened to anyone else. God knows, our people have been through a helluva' lot - and it's only marginally getting better! And, I should add, there've been plenty of guys (all in uniform) I've just allowed to walk past - w/o me saying a word - 'cuz I've seen "that look" enough times to know better than to "bother them"! Not so much the "1K yd stare", mind you . . . more the "don't even talk to me mother-fucker look" (given to everyone)!

It's only been over the last year I've noticed this as the rule - rather than the exception. Anyone else?

*And BTW . . . . is it just me - or, are all our guys now the size of NFL linebackers?

Don't know, brother, was it near an Army town? Alot of GWOT vets may get jaded after a few yellow ribbon wavers give them the " I appreciate your service, BUT....[insert random political tirade]." I had a moonbat lady start into politics after the opening "Thanks for your service..." in front of me and my family at a golden corral after I came home back in 2007.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an OIF Combat Vet patch on one of my jackets, ...

If you strike up a conversation with me, I can tell you about several cities north of Fallujah in the Anbar province, and a little about the Al Asad air base.

If you have been there too, I'm glad to chat.

If you haven't been there (OIF or OEF) but you are posing, I've got issues with you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I met a guy outside of Circle-K who had been a Lt. Colonel in the Navy SEALS in Vietnam.

He rescued an entire camp full of POWs.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have an OIF Combat Vet patch on one of my jackets, ...

If you strike up a conversation with me, I can tell you about several cities north of Fallujah in the Anbar province, and a little about the Al Asad air base.

If you have been there too, I'm glad to chat.

If you haven't been there (OIF or OEF) but you are posing, I've got issues with you.

Alot of memories from Anbar. Al Asad was nice for a hot shower, good chow, and staring a hot ( perhaps situationally dependent) Air Force chics. Towards the end of 2008 it seemed the base supported more Ugandians than it did coalition forces. Lived in Ramadi, TQ, and Fallujah and IVO at some smaller COPs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Me too, Al Anbar province, Al Asad Airbase, Fallujuh, TQ, AQ, Baghdad, Hit, Rawah and most of the western Iraq desert with FOB's
with all kinds of interesting names.

Here's to you brother.

Maintenance company and Convoy security company OIF 2007-2008
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I met a guy outside of Circle-K who had been a Lt. Colonel in the Navy SEALS in Vietnam.

LTC in the Navy...sounds legit.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to be the type of person that would approach somebody and thank them for their service. Anymore, if they strike up a conversation with me about serving I'll thank them, tell them I did not serve and carry on normal conversation, otherwise I just let bygones be bygones.

I've come to realize some want to discuss it in public and others don't. Call me old-fashioned, but it seems that most people do not wan't to be bothered by doing everyday tasks. Like shopping, eating, etc.

Oh, first post and all.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Was shopping at Walmart with the wife when I passed a guy wearing an "OIF Combat Veteran" hat in one of the canned goods isles. I'm always one to strike up conversation with vets, and tell them I appreciate the sacrifices they've made. So I approached the guy and said, "Hi, so where were you at?" He stared at me blankly and asked, "what?" I replied, "your hat, where where you at in Iraq?" He broke eye contact and said, "Oh, I never deployed....um, orders got cancelled at the last minute." I was stunned, speechless. He tried making small talk and asked if I had been overseas. "Yeah, I did three combat deployments to Iraq."

It wasn't until I walked away that I fully processed the encounter and started to get angry. Why can't people be proud of what they did? Dude served his country,which is more than most have done. Isn't that enough? Why tarnish it with deception?

My take on it was that he was never in the military to begin with . . .
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I was in the same situation....  I would not wear such a shirt...  Not with the words COMBAT on it.

I don't wear any Army stuff come to think of it.

I am a ''war time" vet but I'm not going to brag on it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My take on it was that he was never in the military to begin with . . .

Might have served, maybe not. Still when people pull that shit they need to be called out. Shoulda slapped the canned good outta his hand and took the hat off his head. That shit makes my blood boil...

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I know that guy!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I see all these dudes wearing USMC and Marine hats/shirts

I always strike up a conversation

75 percent of the time they break eye contact and say they were never in.

other 20 percent have a relative in and they proudly tell me about them

And the other 5 percent Yut Yut
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It was a hat, dude.

It's not like he was wearing combat ribbon or something.

Can someone who helps load bombs onto B52s from Missouri wear an OIF hat?

What about the logistics guy at CENTCOM?

Joint Chiefs?

I understand your point, but you don't necessarily have to deploy to participate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I wear my OIF ball cap 90% of the time i go out I get a few people to come up to me and say thank you for your service. iam always friendly with them and a few times i get a few guys that served too. unfortunatly i havent ran into anyone that served in mosul or northern iraq yet
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I wear a Baskin-Robbins hat, in honor of all that jamocha-almond-fudge ice cream that I ate at Camp Fallujah.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wear a Baskin-Robbins hat, in honor of all that jamocha-almond-fudge ice cream that I ate at Camp Fallujah.

Do you get a lot of ice cream enthusiasts approaching you to chew the fat?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The first time anyone ever randomly thanked me for my service was in 1995.  I was in uniform at the SEATAC airport picking up someone coming from Korea (had to work that morning).  I was stunned, and could barely manage thanking this elderly woman for her kind words.  It didn't happen again until 2004 and I had returned from Iraq.

Good on ya for trying to reach out to a fellow veteran... you never know what kind of burden the guy next to you might be carrying.

There are some posers out there.  Don't let those bastards get you down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

you should tell them you wore it while serving ice cream in Fallujah.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you should tell them you wore it while serving ice cream in Fallujah.  

I would, but I can't pass for Pakistani

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wear my OIF ball cap 90% of the time i go out I get a few people to come up to me and say thank you for your service. iam always friendly with them and a few times i get a few guys that served too. unfortunatly i havent ran into anyone that served in mosul or northern iraq yet

Were you at F.O.B. Diamondback? I got stuck on the base for a week or so when I first got in country during OIF II. Our platoon got on the wrong C-130 in Kuwait.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a hat, dude.  

It's not like he was wearing combat ribbon or something.

Can someone who helps load bombs onto B52s from Missouri wear an OIF hat?

What about the logistics guy at CENTCOM?

Joint Chiefs?

I understand your point, but you don't necessarily have to deploy to participate.

Generally when you wear a hat that says "oif combat vet" it means you participated in combat, or at least were in iraq.
Kinda like a used to know a guy that would brag about being in the army all the time, but the dude got kicked out after basic or ait.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you at F.O.B. Diamondback? I got stuck on the base for a week or so when I first got in country during OIF II. Our platoon got on the wrong C-130 in Kuwait.

I was on the other side on marez. good times over there... the only time i went to diamondback was to go to the PX.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't see what the big deal was. I got a Packers Superbowl hat after they won this year. If I'm wearing it, I don't expect people to come up to me in the store and start asking me what position I played on the field. I'm not exactly sure why this man's hat is any different.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't see what the big deal was. I got a Packers Superbowl hat after they won this year. If I'm wearing it, I don't expect people to come up to me in the store and start asking me what position I played on the field. I'm not exactly sure why this man's hat is any different.

He wasn't wearing an army/marines/navy/af hat he was wearing a hat that specified combat veteran of iraq.  He was misrepresenting himself and that is completely different then a football team's hat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I see your point but I dont think you can compare that to the situation. Reality is when people see you wearing a packers hat there not going to say oh i wonder if he played for the packers there gonna just think your a fan but if society sees your wearing an OIF or any veterans hat there going to automatically assume that your a VET. thats just the way it is.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top