Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 5:17:21 PM EDT
No matter what your feelings are on illegal immigrants, I think it says alot about this Border Patrol Agent that he did this.

EAGLE PASS, Texas -- A 19-year-old Mexican national who was caught in the currents of the Rio Grande River in mid-February trying to return to Mexico was saved by one brave border patrol agent.

Daryl Lee, 38, who rescued the man, talked with KSAT 12 News about his decision to risk his life to save the man.

"Doing something like that is a very personal thing," Lee said. "They don't tell you that you have to jump into the water."

Lee, who trained in water rescue, said he knew the man didn't have a chance when he was swept away.

"When he did go down the final time, you could tell," Lee said. "His face just barely broke the water and it was at that point that I dove out to where he went down."

The Rio Grande is shallow in places, but currents lead to areas of 20 to 30 feet of cold water, Lee said.

"I got about three feet of visibility down there," Lee said. "The water is kind of murky. I finally noticed he was hanging in the water, just sinking. I grabbed his white T-shirt, turned around and came back up."

Lee managed to bring the man back to the riverbank.

He suffered only minor hypothermia and thanked Lee for his actions.

"I think it would be a disgrace to myself, God and my kids, that if I didn't try everything possible to save another human being's life," Lee said.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"I think it would be a disgrace to myself, God and my kids, that if I didn't try everything possible to save another human being's life," Lee said.

The definition of a man...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Talk about a thankless job.  They don't pay those sumbitches enough and all the while they're getting pole fucked by the pols.

You all got my respect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top