Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2001 8:11:35 PM EDT
For those of you who don't know who he is:

[url]http://www.arlingtoncemetery.com/jamesnic.htm[/url]

As a kid, the first book that I remember reading, that made an impression on me, is his book "Five Years To Freedom".  

edited to fix link
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely. That book is one that affected me deeply, and I'd love to restrain some of the peace f&cks from the sixties and read them passages from "Five Years to Freedom."

Here's to Captain Rocky Versace, too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, a truly courageous and extraordinary man.

"Five Years to Freedom" is a good read that I would strongly recommend.  The book details Col. Rowe's struggle as a POW in Vietnam.  

Here's an excerpt of the poem that he wrote during his ordeal.

"I have entered and I have returned.  If enter you must and enter you will, then remember these thoughts:
Know who you are and from whence you came; Remember the light and sun's cleansing warmth;
Mark well each spot at which you entered and mark each spot at which you stop;
Remember your Faith and keep it strong; Do not expect to find a path and be prepared to make your own;
When it is day you must travel far, but when it is dark, then rest and remember;
Conquer the urge to panic and run, for they insure you'll never return;
When daylight comes, then rest not long and quickly seek your way or you, like the leaves will also decay.
For night falls early in the forest and darkness blinds you, hides the way."

-Col. James "Nick" Rowe, 1968.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top