Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2010 3:24:24 PM EDT
with all this talk of banks restricing withdrawals and such...

I was driving to work this morning when the low gas light flickered on...I pull into my regular gas station and whip out the debit card and fill up the truck...What if...What f the card is denied...what if all my cards are denied...what if everyones cards are denied...
Ok drive to my local banks ATM....same situation....for everyone...Im down to a couple of gallons of gas, no cash on me and 10 miles from home...The locals are getting restless...
What next???

This has me so concerned that I filled up my truck and proceeded to get my 4 nato jerry cans and fill them too...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Next you will be in the survival forum.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I think decaf would do you some good chief
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife and I recently started a cash stash at home.

As MrCleanForHire always says, "cash is king."
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
When you say "whip out my debit card and fill up the truck", are you paying at the pump?
If you fill up the truck and go to pay inside and your card gets denied, my assumption would be that if you have money at home, I would ask for your D/L(if I were the clerk), them come back with money. Or get a siphon and give it back

We have some pumps around here that say if you pay at the pump, print the receipt. That way you can prove that you paid for it. I asked the clerk one time, " If i swipe my card, and it denies me, will the pump still allow me to pump gas?". I got the look.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Normally I would agree with you...but things like the scenario I presented are becoming more and more feasable, with what we face these days

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
After we had a bad ice storm a few years ago that knocked out power in some areas for weeks I  started making sure I always have cash at home.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Always keep a lil spare cash on you
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normally I would agree with you...but things like the scenario I presented are becoming more and more feasable, with what we face these days

Yea you are definitely gonna fit in well in the Survival Forum...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Well this actually happened to me after Katrina. I lived north of Baton Rouge and we had no damage but all of the banks were headquartered in New Orleans or some crap like that.

None of the Debit cards worked.

I kept 1000 dollars in small bills at the house just in case. This was a life saver for us. We didn't really have to worry about paying because we had cash on hand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well this actually happened to me after Katrina. I lived north of Baton Rouge and we had no damage but all of the banks were headquartered in New Orleans or some crap like that.

None of the Debit cards worked.

I kept 1000 dollars in small bills at the house just in case. This was a life saver for us. We didn't really have to worry about paying because we had cash on hand.

I went through something on a smaller scale in Raleigh NC in the Ice Strom of 2002....but for the fact I had gassed up my car the nice before it hit I would have been without heat, radio, or transport to get to a functioning ATM outside of the area.

Scary how dependent we have all become on Debit cards

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats why some people carry a little cash on them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thats why some people carry a little cash on them.

That's so simple that it just might work.

Also, filling up before you HAVE to can be a life saver.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You should never let your tank get below 1/2 full, unless you are on a road trip.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
you––––––––––><––––––––––thought
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have any credit cards or debit cards.

Cash will always win.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

posting pictures of your 47 new jerrycans

ETA: A gas shortage in a major city (Phoenix in 2003) will make a SF believer out of you in short order.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Gnaw Dawg!  The GD and Survival forum have been the same for a while now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top