Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 6:11:07 PM EDT
I had a long discussion with a vet that was in-country for two years recently.

Without blathering on about it, Id just like to say that I was moved of offer a heartfelt thank you to all that served in that conflict. You have reason to be proud.  You did your duty, and you made it back.  

God bless you, and thank you for your very unappreciated service to our country.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Your welcome and thank you for caring.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had a long discussion with a vet that was in-country for two years recently.

Without blathering on about it, Id just like to say that I was moved of offer a heartfelt thank you to all that served in that conflict. You have reason to be proud.  You did your duty, and you made it back.  

God bless you, and thank you for your very unappreciated service to our country.  
View Quote

I'd have to say I second this!  My dad served, mainly in a support role, but there's no reason not to be proud that you were over there and did your duty!!  It's not right that the American people at the time were such idiots that they didn't realize your sacrifice and how much we owed you!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad served six months with 2/8 1st Cav in '70 or '71.  He was an 11B RTO.  He never talks about it, though.

Also, there's a guy in one of my squads named Corporal Riley King. He served a 1 year tour in Vietnam with the 101st. Some of the stories he tells definitely bring tears to your eyes, some of them wrench your gut, and some of them piss you off to no end. This guy was on Hamburger Hill, and he's still alive and kicking it today, as a SAW gunner.

I always make it a point to thank Vietnam vets when I meet them.  I did this once on the way home from a road trip to Bremerton.  Turns out the guy I was thanking served in the 2/8 1st Cav.  So I gave him contact info for my dad, and I guess they're having a reunion soon.  Dunno yet if my dad's going to go, though.

To all of you on this board who served in Vietnam, I thank you for your service.  That includes you, EdSr.

[usa]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I served multiple tours, lost an awful lot of good friends:

Of the 58400 plus, names on the wall approx 5000 or close to 10% are helicopter crewmembers:

Terry
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#5]
My Dad fought there from late '68 to mid '69 as a tanker with the 3/4 Cav, 25th ID "Tropical Lightning".

I love you guys and appreciate the sacrifices you made.  God bless you for your honor and your courage.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
chuckhammer:

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts:

Terry
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
chuckhammer:

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts:

Terry
View Quote

[wave]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the priviledge of serving under several Viet Nam veterans while I was in the Army. When we were in the field, "Smoke" (arty guys'll recognize that one), every once in a while, would have to go off and be by himself for a bit.

Remember back in the early '80s, when all of a sudden it was the "in" thing to support them? It only made me angry as hell; where the fuck was all the appreciation when they NEEDED to be appreciated? As a country, we betrayed them. No amount of "too little, too late" support can ever change how they were treated. To all those who answered their countries' call, from one who was brought up to respect and admire those who did: I'm sorry. Please forgive us.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My father did two tours in Vietnam.  I was born during his first one (MAC-V, 1965.)  His second tour was as a company commander with the 1st CAV in 1968.  To him and all of his brothers-in-arms, I say thank you and God bless.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top