Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:40:31 PM EDT
I'm currently debating the switch from POTS to VOIP.

Right now I really only use my land line for dial-up internet, virtually all other land line calls are machine screened before I answer, anyone who really knows me calls me on my cell.

I'm planning on going cable modem for my i-net solution and since I use my cell phone for voice comm the land line seems redundant, it's not expensive but it would be another $22 bucks off my monthly bills...

My question to those who have switched is:
Do you have any regrets? Has anyone decided the voip service isn't all it's hyped up to be and switched back?

Scratching my head here??
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:12:36 PM EDT
I have Comcast cable Internet and Vonage phone service for over a year, and I'm happy with it. It's saved me a ton of money after switching from Verizon. My wife yaks a lot on the phone so we have the $25/mo. unlimited US & Canada. If you don't use the phone a lot then the $15/mo. for 500 minutes is a good deal.

If you decide you want a referral IM me with your email address, and you can get a month free (I'll get two months free).
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 5:20:35 PM EDT by kcobean]
I've thought about it as well. My problem with it is that I live in a cellular dead zone (my property seems to be "the pocket of darkness"), so in the event of power loss, we'd be without 911 service and the ability to order Pizza. By having a land-line, we have phone service even with no power.

ETA: I'm a network engineer for Sun Microsystems, and I believe in the technology. I've been on the other end of a VOIP conversation and it was difficult to tell the difference, it just wouldn't work for us. If it's gonna save you money and you have your cell as a backup, go for it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:22:38 PM EDT
I have been considering this also, I spoke with some co workers and they all like it. One of them managed to wire it into his houses phone lines so all his phone jacks work still. Cell takes care of the internet going down issue and besides I could care less if I have a phone to begin with. It's mainly a family thing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 5:44:34 PM EDT by mm34b]
I've been using Vonage for 16 months and it works great for me. I kept my land line only for emergency use during those times when the cable Internet system is down or storm related power outages. I don't have cell phone service. I pay around $26 per month for the land line (BellSouth) and $17 a month for VoIP phone service.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:05:19 PM EDT
What's your long-distance bill like? Mine is such that it doesn't make sense to go to VOIP. With $.03/minute calling cards, I imagine it will be a while before I need VOIP. Right now, the expensive part of my phone bill is local service. If I could get that down to <$20/month, I'd jump.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:18:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kcobean:
I've thought about it as well. My problem with it is that I live in a cellular dead zone (my property seems to be "the pocket of darkness"), so in the event of power loss, we'd be without 911 service and the ability to order Pizza. By having a land-line, we have phone service even with no power.

ETA: I'm a network engineer for Sun Microsystems, and I believe in the technology. I've been on the other end of a VOIP conversation and it was difficult to tell the difference, it just wouldn't work for us. If it's gonna save you money and you have your cell as a backup, go for it.

I have the Comcast VIOP phone system and the modem they use has a intergrated battery backup that will last for hours (we have some pretty dodgy electrical service where I live). BTW if you are useing cordless phone the point is moot, no power to the cordless base station, no cordless phone.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:22:31 PM EDT
Switched to VOIP about 6 months ago. Love it. No problems at all.
Top Top