Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Leave as soon as you get there
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck Atlanta.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Soooo, when exactly will she be drunk in New Orleans lookin to party?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#5]
More pics of her
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#6]
New Orleans - The Detroit of the South.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to NOLA in a couple of weeks. I think I'm gonna try and get a hotel downtown instead of walking through all those parking lots. That's what freaked me out last year.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If you go to the french quarter at night, stay ON Bourbon street, no alleys, no side streets, take a cab to and from. Travel in a group, don't go anywhere alone, and try to avoid getting so drunk you look like an easy victim. Oh, and assume your pocket will get picked and purse stolen.

Don't get me wrong, lots of folks go, have a blast, no problems at all, but if you follow my advice your odds are far better at leaving with just good memories than if you don't follow it. It's best if you go with a local friend too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
tell her not to go
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Friend wanted to do something similar.  I told them to rent something like this.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
There are plenty of areas of Atlanta that are perfectly fine.  Stay out of the ghetto.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#13]
The only time I've been to New Orleans someone dosed my friend with a hallucinogen and he wound up with his head impaled on an iron gate.  

I wasn't that impressed with the place, although it's certainly a spectacle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Meh, I lived in New Orleans for several years, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Aside from an occasional bar fight I never got into any shit I didn't ask for. I really don't understand why everyone is so afraid of the town. Of course, I live in Houston and I love it here but, to hear some people tell it I might as well be living in Serbia.

Meh, I guess we all have our perceptions.

The above advice is good though. If you're in the Quarter at night stay on Bourbon or Decatur, stay out of dark lonely places and try to look like you aren't a tourist. Of course, I'd give the same advice to anyone visiting ANY largish city (street names being relative to the "hot spot" of that town).

Oh, and don't bet anyone that they can tell you where you got your shoes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#15]
NOLA is a lot better place post Katrina.  

We stay close to Burbon street and take cabs if we want to visit Frenchman's or elsewhere.

Got four nice visits in during the past 3 years....no problems.  Just use a little common sense.  Same as in any large city.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Fuck Atlanta.

Fuck you.

Just stay out of the ghetto and you will be fine in Atlanta.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The funny part of that phrase is that my band, the Detroit Party Marching Band, is headed down to Mardi Gras next month to play. I'll have to see how it compares. I'm betting it's way worse, and I've lived in some pretty sketchy parts of Detroit.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you go to the french quarter at night, stay ON Bourbon street, no alleys, no side streets, take a cab to and from. Travel in a group, don't go anywhere alone, and try to avoid getting so drunk you look like an easy victim. Oh, and assume your pocket will get picked and purse stolen.

Don't get me wrong, lots of folks go, have a blast, no problems at all, but if you follow my advice your odds are far better at leaving with just good memories than if you don't follow it. It's best if you go with a local friend too.

Bah.  Stay on Royal or Decatur if you want, but avoid Bourbon.  Higher prices, more crime, and more thugs with guns hanging out on Bourbon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The funny part of that phrase is that my band, the Detroit Party Marching Band, is headed down to Mardi Gras next month to play. I'll have to see how it compares. I'm betting it's way worse, and I've lived in some pretty sketchy parts of Detroit.

What parade(s) are y'all gonna be in?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't leave the French Quarter at night, the Quarter is relatively safe.  Besides there are enough good drinkeries and eateries to keep you busy for a month.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd lose that bet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What parade(s) are y'all gonna be in?
The Box Wine parade for sure. Details are still evolving for the rest of the tour. We'll be stopping in Nashville on the way down, as well.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd lose that bet.

Well, I really don't think either place is half as bad as people make it out to be, so here's hoping!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Heck I had my first Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's when I was 16 and proposed to my wife at Brennen's on Royal Street.  Keep your wits about you and you will be fine just like everywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#25]
NOLA is a great town to visit.

The WWII museum alone is worth the trip there.

Not to mention some of the greatest food in the world.

There is a huge police presence in the French Quarter and as long as you don't wander off the beaten path and stay in the tourist areas you will be fine.

It's hard to believe that a site dedicated to guns has so many nancy boys that are skeered to visit New Orleans.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm no French Quarter rookie.  Started partying there at 15, and have spent more time there than I should have.

Having said that, I WILL NOT GO UNARMED to New Orleans PERIOD.  Hell, I'll BARELY leave my property unarmed, unless I'm on the clock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Tell her to stay in the tourist areas and if possible go armed.  Gun in the car is legal in Louisiana.  Carrying a gun and drinking alcohol are a no-go here though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#28]
"Report & bypass"
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm told it's a good idea to keep your cash and ID in your boot for Mardi Gras? Is pickpocketing really that prevalent, or is it just nervous nelly talk?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm told it's a good idea to keep your cash and ID in your boot for Mardi Gras? Is pickpocketing really that prevalent, or is it just nervous nelly talk?

It can be prevalent on Bourbon St., but is not that big an issue elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Tell them to save the money and spend a few days under a local overpass. Same experience, no cost, and they'll meet the same type of people.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be prevalent on Bourbon St., but is not that big an issue elsewhere.

Split your cash into multiple pockets, if one gets cleaned, you're not broke.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Meh, I lived in New Orleans for several years, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Aside from an occasional bar fight I never got into any shit I didn't ask for. I really don't understand why everyone is so afraid of the town. Of course, I live in Houston and I love it here but, to hear some people tell it I might as well be living in Serbia.

Meh, I guess we all have our perceptions.

The above advice is good though. If you're in the Quarter at night stay on Bourbon or Decatur, stay out of dark lonely places and try to look like you aren't a tourist. Of course, I'd give the same advice to anyone visiting ANY largish city (street names being relative to the "hot spot" of that town).

Oh, and don't bet anyone that they can tell you where you got your shoes.

Quoted:

It's hard to believe that a site dedicated to guns has so many nancy boys that are skeered to visit New Orleans.

This is GD.  Some folks here are afraid to go to the bathroom in their own house unarmed.  There is preparedness, and then there is a paranoid mental state that begins to affect your ability to experience life.  Some have problems crossing that line.  This is strangely correlated with the idea that carrying a firearm negates these threats*, as if it is a magic talisman when in the hands of the steely-eyed ninjas here.

* as long as it fires a bullet with a caliber greater than .380, as this or less will bounce off the skin of any wrong-doer and lead to an ass-beating by an irritated thug
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is GD.  Some folks here are afraid to go to the bathroom in their own house unarmed.  

I suppose you'd rather we become statistics?  

MOLON LAVATORY
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#35]
WIN!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Is it still that bad?
I kinda figured that we (Houston) took 90% of New Orleans' criminal element after Katrina.
I would have thought that N'awlins had improved greatly in its safety.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a slightly adventerous side and wandered the streets of NO shitfaced lost by myself before back in 2002.  I probably won't do that again.

There were little roving bands of thugs running around trying to pick out easy victims.  Gotta keep your eyes peeled.  Also, I accidentally wandered into an area where men were holding hands and dancing around in bars with their shirts off.   Then some guy tried to bet me he could tell me where I got me shoes.

I'm glad I was able to find the hotel again.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tell them to save the money and spend a few days under a local overpass. Same experience, no cost, and they'll meet the same type of people.

What an asinine statement.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth is hard for some to accept. Was there before Katrina, and it was a shithole then and is a shithole now. I will never go there again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This. Have a good time.  Be aware the surrounding areas are very, very bad.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth is hard for some to accept. Was there before Katrina, and it was a shithole then and is a shithole now. I will never go there again.

All BS aside, I really am sorry you had a bad experience there.

As I said before, some of the best meals I have ever had have been in New Orleans restaurants like
Tujaques, G.W.Finns, and Commander's Palace.

The World War 2 museum sits on the site where they made the Higgins boats that enabled us to land on islands in the Pacific and at Normandy.

New Orleans is one of the oldest cities in America and there is tons of great history there.

The nicest hotel I've ever stayed in was at Windsor Court in New Orleans.

I love visiting New Orleans, but hell, I live in Memphis, so maybe I'm just crazy.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm going to NOLA in a couple of weeks. I think I'm gonna try and get a hotel downtown instead of walking through all those parking lots. That's what freaked me out last year.

Check out the Queen and Crescent Hotel.  It's on the other side of Canal, just into the business district, but only a few blocks from Bourbon.  

I've found french quarter hotels can be a little hit or miss regardless of the price.  Q&C is clean, relatively cheap, and the staff are great.

ETA-

Quoted:
Heck I had my first Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's when I was 16 and proposed to my wife at Brennen's on Royal Street.  Keep your wits about you and you will be fine just like everywhere else.

Corner of Bourbon and Conti for my wife and I.    Yup, I put a knee in it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Go to Willie Mae's Scotch house for the chicken. Everyone says to go to Cafe Du Monde for the Beignet, but I didn't care for it you could just snort a bag of powdered sugar and get the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Go to Willie Mae's Scotch house for the chicken. Everyone says to go to Cafe Du Monde for the Beignet, but I didn't care for it you could just snort a bag of powdered sugar and get the same thing.

Meh.  Greasy and over-rated.  Go to Frankie and Johnnie's for the best fried chicken in NOLA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Everyone says to go to Cafe Du Monde for the Beignet, but I didn't care for it you could just snort a bag of powdered sugar and get the same thing.

Truth.  Skip it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Check out the Queen and Crescent Hotel.  It's on the other side of Canal, just into the business district, but only a few blocks from Bourbon.  

Had a pretty bad experience with the staff of Queen and Crescent when I went for my buddies bachelor party last June.  I booked 3 rooms with two queen sized beds each, and once I got there, they told me one of the rooms would have to be a single King.  Didn't want to refund me any money, and didn't consider giving me two rooms, etc.  Very unaccommodating, very unprofessional, and VERY rude.  I'll never stay there again.  I'm from South Louisiana, and I've been to NO 30+ times.  Never had any issues with people messing with me, but I'm 6'2" and weigh 220.  I also try to stay in large groups.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a pretty bad experience with the staff of Queen and Crescent when I went for my buddies bachelor party last June.  I booked 3 rooms with two queen sized beds each, and once I got there, they told me one of the rooms would have to be a single King.  Didn't want to refund me any money, and didn't consider giving me two rooms, etc.  Very unaccommodating, very unprofessional, and VERY rude.  I'll never stay there again.  I'm from South Louisiana, and I've been to NO 30+ times.  Never had any issues with people messing with me, but I'm 6'2" and weigh 220.  I also try to stay in large groups.

I don't know how pricey they are now, but we were able to get a junior suite at Windsor Court for around $200 per night back in 2008.

It is a 4 Diamond Hotel and it was very nice. They just recently did a 22 million dollar renovation.

The rooms and staff there were awesome then. I can only imagine how much nicer it is now with the recent renovations.

Windsor Court Hotel - New Orleans

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm going to watch Detroit play the Saints in New Orleans this Saturday. Is Detroit in New Orleans similar to dividing by zero? Am I going to die?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm going to watch Detroit play the Saints in New Orleans this Saturday. Is Detroit in New Orleans similar to dividing by zero? Am I going to die?

Doesn't sound safe.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't sound safe.

Sort of like 2 giant packs of pit bulls in the same city.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top