Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:26:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 9:27:03 AM EDT by sic_ness]
Riddle me this: why is is that any jerkass can call the cops, report "guy with a gun," and the police will come running with literally nothing more than an anonymous tip...

BUT when someone in my city calls the police and says "hey, John Doe is a heroin dealer. My kid bought drugs from this guy - go arrest him," they do nothing?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:38:55 AM EDT
Why isn't the person calling the police on their druggie kid?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:39:26 AM EDT
Successful drug dealing cases are often difficult to build, whereas a caller saying there's a man with a gun, at least in some jurisdictions, is kind of a no-brainer.  If carrying a weapon is not lawful, then a prompt response is more likely to result in easily observable evidence of the violation (i.e., seeing the person carrying a gun,) than rolling up to arrest a heroin dealer and telling the judge "an anonymous caller said his/her son bought drugs from this guy" right before the judge releases the guy, and you start the process of getting fired, sued, and criminally charged for arresting the guy without even a shred of PC.

Now, where OC is lawful, it is idiotic for the call taker not to ask clarifying questions.

e.g.:  If the person with the gun is simply walking about with the weapon holstered or slung, as applicable, and seems otherwise to just be going about their business, then a response may be less warranted.  If the caller reports that the person is behaving suspicious in some articulable fashion, then obviously that's going to be a different matter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:40:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 9:42:15 AM EDT by kyreb]
Gun control groups here in Texas are openly declaring to use this tactic against people who open carry once it becomes legal here on January 1st.
ETA: I am sure the anti gun police administration here in Houston will be happy to comply with the harassment.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:42:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 9:43:56 AM EDT by MeatBag]
Drugs vs someone is killing people

Note when they pull this retarded shit it isn't just "he has a gun". It's "he has a gun and is threatening to kill people"

edit- I thought you were referring to actual SWAT teams raiding houses because of idiots on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:44:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sic_ness:
Riddle me this: why is is that any jerkass can call the cops, report "guy with a gun," and the police will come running with literally nothing more than an anonymous tip...

BUT when someone in my city calls the police and says "hey, John Doe is a heroin dealer. My kid bought drugs from this guy - go arrest him," they do nothing?
View Quote

report john doe has a gun when they search him they will find the drugs
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:45:25 AM EDT
SWATTING is a little more than man with a gun in public.  It usually involves a calling stating that some type of violence is happening within a residence.

Like "OMG OMG there's a guy with a gun inside Kim Kardashians house and I think he's going to kill her.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:46:06 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kyreb:
Gun control groups here in Texas are openly declaring to use this tactic against people who open carry once it becomes legal here on January 1st.
ETA: I am sure the anti gun police administration here in Houston will be happy to comply with the harassment.
View Quote

They may tire of responding after a few thousand calls.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:46:18 AM EDT
View Quote

Once they realize they are running to a non existant fire and using up already limited manpower they will have to stop that practice.
I frankly don't think a lot of people are going to be openly carrying that much.
I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:07:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By heeler1:

Once they realize they are running to a non existant fire and using up already limited manpower they will have to stop that practice.
I frankly don't think a lot of people are going to be openly carrying that much.
I may be wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I may be wrong.

Oklahoma has been open carry for a while now, and it is rarely seen.  I CC every day, have never OC'd, and I doubt if 1% of the Okla CCW's ever practice OC.  I don't have hard facts to back up my estimate, just observations.  It's nice to have OC option, I was an advocate for OC, just because the Okla law for CC had implications for "printing", the wind blowing your shirt up while riding a motorcycle, thus exposing your weapon,  etc., which is now all moot with OC.  Again, I don't OC, but I'm glad it's an option.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 10:00:22 PM EDT by kyreb]
Originally Posted By wideglidejoe:

Oklahoma has been open carry for a while now, and it is rarely seen.  I CC every day, have never OC'd, and I doubt if 1% of the Okla CCW's ever practice OC.  I don't have hard facts to back up my estimate, just observations.  It's nice to have OC option, I was an advocate for OC, just because the Okla law for CC had implications for "printing", the wind blowing your shirt up while riding a motorcycle, thus exposing your weapon,  etc., which is now all moot with OC.  Again, I don't OC, but I'm glad it's an option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wideglidejoe:

I may be wrong.

You sum up my feelings OC/CC spot on.  

Top Top