Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 1:48:15 PM EDT
I have felt a bit puny these past couple of days and decided to take my temperture and it has
consistantly been 97.6.  Exactly one degree below normal.
I know that if you have an infection etc. you get a fever but, I don't have a clue what it means
if you have a low body temperature.  What happens if it gets lower amd what causes it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have felt a bit puny these past couple of days and decided to take my temperture and it has
I know that if you have an infection etc. you get a fever but, I don't have a clue what it means
if you have a low body temperature.  What happens if it gets lower amd what causes it?

First of all, the 98.6 is a general guideling.  Your metabolism and body fat percentage can cause you to have an average temp that is higher or lower.  Your problem is probably being a little anemic/dehydrated or just plain tired.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Side effect of global warming.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have felt a bit puny these past couple of days and decided to take my temperture and it has consistantly been 97.6.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oral, Axillary, Tympanic, or Rectal It actually makes a difference.

98.6 is the middle of the range for normal temps. 97.6-99.6 are completely "normal".  If your temp is normally higher then I could see why you feel a bit off.

I think certain infections and diabetes can cause low temps along with obvious things like shock and hypothermia. Go see a doctor if you are worried about it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody's temp runs 98.6 all the time, and we are all a little different.
Temps might tend to run high in summer and low in winter. High in kids who are realy bundled up by parents, etc.

FWIW, fever is a temp at or greater than 100.5.
I might buy 100.0 but 99.8 or whatever, ain't a fever.

Just FWIW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top