Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:57:05 PM EDT
I'm looking at replacing our mags.  As you all know the man wants easy and cheap....so the question is this........just replace the spring (if the mag body is in good order of course) or just break down and ask to spend a lot of money at isn't yours.

David

Comments???  Concerns????
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The amount of money you'll spend on manpower to inspect, take apart and put together magazines, it will probably be more cost effective to buy new ones.

Then you could always sell the old ones on the Equipment Exchange and make up some of the cost
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The amount of money you'll spend on manpower to inspect, take apart and put together magazines, it will probably be more cost effective to buy new ones.

Then you could always sell the old ones on the Equipment Exchange and make up some of the cost

big +1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#3]
If they are "pre-Ban" or if they are marked LEO some dealers might be interested in them.  Perhaps trade two old to one new.  Probably wouldn't be enough to repalce them all, but it certainly would save a dollar or two.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#4]
All the mags are post ban in pre-ban config......but all are marked LEO restricted by colt.

David
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I can come up with cheapER, not necessarily easIER.  If you look around, you can find replacement parts for the guts of the magazines.  I've seen some kits that have parts for 10 new mags, to include spring and green follower for about $20-$25.  There is another dandy item out there called Perma-Slik that is in a spray can that replaces the finish on M16 mags.  One can will do about 20+ magazines, I think it cost me about $10 a can (but I can't remember.)

So, you can go more expensive on the tax payer dollar, yet MUCH easier.....or give yourself a bunch of work for less cost.

Depends, I guess, on how much time you have.

VJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know if there has been problems with the Mag kits.  I see that Bushmaster and Brownells both have kits but I'm worried about fuctioning and are they reliable.

David
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Agency/Department price for Brownells magazines are 12.50 each for brand new 20 or 30 rounders. Just buy new mags.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I just re-packed 7 mags with new spring/follower/floorplate kits after getting them back from Norrells with a refinish on them.

They look and work better than brand new and cost less than new mags.

They came to about $9 a pop, and $6 of each mag was refinishing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
As long as the mag bodies are in good working order I concur with the re-spring/follower option. I suggest at least mil-spec springs if not the higher end options like from Wolff or the like. I absolutely cannot recommend the Mag-Pul enhanced followers enought. Those things can literally polish up a terd magazine. No tilt, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess the real questions is how many mags are we talking about?  For a hand full, sure rebuild kits are great, but if we are talking a hundred or more, then I'd say new mags would be more cost effective.

I was serious about reselling the used mags to offset the cost of the new mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm talking 40+ mags.  I don't mind doing the work.....for me its not about pay....it's all about making sure my fellow LEOs have working equipment.

Speaking with the higher ups it sound like the mag kits are the direction I have to take.......

I see that Bushmaster and Brownells sells them.....anyone know of good kits from another trustworthy company?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude, get BOTH!

Seriously, buy new mags and keep/rebuild the best of the old ones for training.  Do you really want tom, God forbid, sit on the stand and anser questions why you rebuilt consumable items instead of purchasing new ones?

Or, worse, expalin to a dead/onjured partner's wife how you saved a few bucks and it caused their loved one to get injured?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm talking 40+ mags.  I don't mind doing the work.....for me its not about pay....it's all about making sure my fellow LEOs have working equipment.

Speaking with the higher ups it sound like the mag kits are the direction I have to take.......

I see that Bushmaster and Brownells sells them.....anyone know of good kits from another trustworthy company?

Check with the sponsors here.  In my honest opinion, you would only change the springs.  Aftermarket Floorplates never fit right, and the followers would only be needed if you are going from black to green, which probably won't be necessary since I've never seen a LEO mag without the updatded follower.

Go with the Wolf springs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Get new mags.

The mags were designed to be disposable for the military. If you rebuild them and there is a mag failure, who will they blame. Rebuild only if you can't get any new ones.

Cheapest g.i. mags I got were from Buffer Technologies.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Talk to Ken Elmore at Specialized Armament Warehouse in Phoenix. Check their website. I rebuilt about 10 of my own 30 rounders with the green followers and a red painted spring he has custom made. Cost was $9 per mag. Ken has tested the springs by compressing them for up to twelve years not one has lost it's tensile strength yet. As long as the bodies, and especially the lips, are good I'd rebuild.

I can't argue with the reasons for going with new mags. If I did that I'd go with Colt's or any of the government contract ones. But since LE dept's are really run by bean counters and not cops you may have to rebuild.

By the way, Ken is a Colt distributor and has better prices on Colt parts than Brownell's.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top