Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/23/2004 12:30:06 PM EST
OK I'm 35 years old and have never wore glasses....Went Friday for a eye test and I now have to wear glasses..I don't have bi focals just regular lenses...How freaken long does it usually take to get used to em????? It seems like I do see better but it seems more stress on my eyes after a period of time...Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:31:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 12:32:09 PM EST by California_Kid]
36 years and I'm still trying to get used to them.

Seriously, don't scrimp on quality. Get lightweight titanium frames and take every available option on lenses - Anti-scratch, anti-reflective coatings, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:31:09 PM EST
Have you thought about contacts? If I had the money, I would go Lasic. I have worn glasses since 1962, and trust me, the novelty has worn off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:39:57 PM EST
I dont think I could get used to contacts at all..It's just like they make me cross eyed sometimes For some reason I thought you could just put em on see better and go no problem...I was wrong..
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:41:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 12:43:28 PM EST by warlord]
Jicky: It will take awhile for your eyes to adjust, I would say probably a week or 2, I remember when I got my first eyeglasses, the eye strain made my eyes hurt for a short period of time.

I also recommend the anti-reflective coating, and anti-scratch. You can get the poly carbonate lenses that are a bit thinner than the regular plastic lenses, but they cost extra.

Oh forgot to recommend also a spare pair, doesn't have to be as good as your main pair, just incase.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:44:49 PM EST
Just dont walk around high schools. The jocks will start striking you for no reason.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:45:10 PM EST
I've been wearing glasses for 33 years and I have bad astigmatism it takes me about a week to get used to them
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:47:05 PM EST
Get the thin lenses, get the anti-scratch coating, for me the anti glare one just made everything look slightly green.

About the time you tread on your first pair getting out of bed in the morning is when you're used to them...

Contacts took me for ever to get into, I'm really touchy about things getting near my eyes, but once you get them, you'll never look back. It brought a whole bunch of activities where glasses only get in the way back into sharp focus, which was nice

/PHil
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:05:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By raven:
Just dont walk around high schools. The jocks will start striking you for no reason.

"it's true, to some people eye glasses are a sign of weakness and they tend to get picked on more than people who dont wear glasses"

it seems like more people wear glasses these days than they did 20 or 30 years ago? maybe it's from sitting in front of the PC for long hours?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:12:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:14:17 PM EST
My eyesight is so bad that my next prescription will be for a dog and a white stick.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:17:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:17:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Thunderbolt:

"it's true, to some people eye glasses are a sign of weakness and they tend to get picked on more than people who dont wear glasses"

it seems like more people wear glasses these days than they did 20 or 30 years ago? maybe it's from sitting in front of the PC for long hours?

The reason why you see more people wearing eyeglasses is because the baby boom generation is getting older, it will be the norm as time passes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:18:58 PM EST
I just bought a new pair of glasses last week , $390 bucks
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:19:16 PM EST
I'm a pretty big guy..My build alone is pretty intimadating factor in the sleeves of tattoos ..I doubt anyone even notices my glasses anyway my question was the getting use too wearing em period....

High school kid's... You guys are crazy thats why I love this site..LOL
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:11:21 PM EST
I was 40 before I needed them , and then its just for reading . I can wear sunglasses all day , but after about 2-3 hrs the reading glasses get uncomfortable and I have to take them off .

It's been 3 years and I'm still not used to wearing them .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:16:20 PM EST
Try contacts...glasses are fine (been wearing 'em since 4th grade), but when I moved onto contacts in high school...whoa. There's a good 2 week adjustment period for contacts (can only wear them for X hours a day until you get used to them, etc), but it's worth it.

When I can save up the scratch for it, I'm going to get Lasik done...unless they come out with cybernetic implants first; I'd rather spring for those

Especially ones with built-in thermal and night vision abilities...yah, I'd pony up 10k an eye for that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:23:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 3:24:13 PM EST by warlord]

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Especially ones with built-in thermal and night vision abilities...yah, I'd pony up 10k an eye for that.

How about a "bionic" eye? I believe Steve Austin fromt the old TV show, the 6 Million Dollar man, had one of those, but only one of his eyes were bionic, I think it was the left one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:25:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mahatma8Rice:
My eyesight is so bad that my next prescription will be for a dog and a white stick.

Tea on the keyboard again....LMFAO
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:27:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:34:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By California_Kid:
anti-reflective coatings, etc.

My only bitch with the reflective coating is it rubs off after a while. My glasses rub against my brow because of how I like to wear them. It scraped the coating right off after 6 months or so up top and was very noticeable. Great for computer work, but it looked terrible once it started coming off.

As far as getting used to them, it just takes time. My prescription changed for the first time in like 4 years and it took me about a week to fully get with the new view.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:36:58 PM EST
Now that's funny...

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:37:30 PM EST
I wore them for 30 years and finally had LASIK earlier this year.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:09:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 5:55:52 PM EST by luger355]
Had mine since i was about 12 Y/O . 20 years later i dont even notice their on my face (unless the little bastards are complety filthy).
When i got my first pair they took me a couple of weeks to get used to em .

heres a bit of advice for ya though, when ya pick out a set of frames,

look for frames that have spring loaded forks (or what ever their called) connected at the hinge points. They tend to last longer and are able to withstand a lot more abuse.

Or if you can find them and you like the look of them. Look for frames made by flexon. Their the frames that you can twist and bend the hell out of and not bend out of shape. They also happen to be some of the lightest frames on the market.

On the lenses (perscription permitting) if their not poly carbonate and dont have an additional scratch resistant coating on at least the front sides dont waste your money IMO. Poly carb lenses are very thin and very light compaired to other options.
If you have a really nasty perscription its a way of getting around the coke bottle look.

Trust me when i say a lot of evil shit (dogs,kids,blond girl friends ) can happen to a pair of glasses.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:16:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By warlord:

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

How about a "bionic" eye? I believe Steve Austin fromt the old TV show, the 6 Million Dollar man, had one of those, but only one of his eyes were bionic, I think it was the left one.

Bionic? Hell no!

I want X-Ray vision!

"Hey, she likes Victoria's Secret, I'm guessing."

"Hm. I'd like that scratch-off lottery ticket, the one 8 tickets in back...no, not that one...THAT one, yah. *scratch scratch* Look at that! I won 10 million dollars!"

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:20:03 PM EST
I've thought about Lasik but it makes me nervous, my brother had it done but I'd be the 1 out of 10,000 that get messed up. Been on glasses since I was 7 and I turn 40 in Sept
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:33:26 PM EST
I'm a Tool and Die/Machinist so I've had to wear safety glasses practically every day for the last 15 yrs. When I went to prescription glasses they were actually lighter and more comfortable so the transition wasn't too bad. I still like to pull em off at the end of the day, seems like my eyes like a 2-3 hr break after 8 hrs of looking at dials and micrometers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:35:39 PM EST
When I was a machinist I could not read a vernier caliper to save my life, after a while all the friggen lines just blur.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:39:44 PM EST
I've worn glasses for almost 30 years and each time the prescription is changed it takes about a week to adjust to them. The last time my prescription was changed a few months ago I had to get bifocals and it took at least a month to become accustomed to them. They still bother me sometimes. If they are causing you to be cross-eyed, you will have to learn to focus your eyes on distant objects instead of the frames.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:43:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By twonami:
When I was a machinist I could not read a vernier caliper to save my life, after a while all the friggen lines just blur.

Yeah everyone I know considers vernier calipers to be Satan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:59:54 PM EST
Eyephoric 2.5
Lightest pair of glasses on the planet. I've got a pair and they still amaze me after 4 months. Always get a kick out of letting people I'm talking with hold them and watching their reaction.

CW
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:04:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By warlord:

Originally Posted By Thunderbolt:

The reason why you see more people wearing eyeglasses is because the baby boom generation is getting older, it will be the norm as time passes.

I thought it was from too much wacking off!

i've worn glasses for about 30 years. I forgot what it was like getting used to them. Ok, so I did some heavy wacking at age 10.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:31:48 PM EST
They still make those???? I've always gone for contacts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:39:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By Cold_Warrior:
Eyephoric 2.5
Lightest pair of glasses on the planet. I've got a pair and they still amaze me after 4 months. Always get a kick out of letting people I'm talking with hold them and watching their reaction.

CW

man those things are kwel

But imo those things look major fragile.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:52:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By luger355:

Originally Posted By Cold_Warrior:
Eyephoric 2.5

CW

man those things are kwel

But imo those things look major fragile.

Nope. I've stomped on them, whacked them with a scope (got too close), and had them attacked by my tactial cockatiiels and they are undamaged. wish I had got them sooner.

CW
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:15:27 PM EST
Consider yourself lucky for getting them when you're an adult.

Going though puberty and seeing yourself in the mirror, wearing nothing but a pair of glasses, can scar your self-image for life.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:21:33 PM EST
Glasses SUCK....Thats why they make SHOTGUNS.
Top Top