Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2001 9:15:13 AM EDT
If you set up a server how would you get paid
by just getting traffic on your server and if so who would pay you? would you have to absorb
the cost of a T1 line and the running of the server! I have notice like this board i was wondering how can anyone afford to run Example
2 to 3K a month(This cost is just an example).
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#1]
It used to be fairly easy to get advertisers to pay for banner ads and/or other advertising references.  Times have changed drastically.

Unless you have a very niche market site, it is very hard to recoup the $$ investment that you have to make for :  hardware / software / bandwidth.

Depending upon where you are physically located and who you choose as a provider, bandwidth can be quite expensive.

For example:  In NJ, a UU.net T1 (1.54mbps) connection (with local loop) costs an average of $1400-1600/month.  Add a shadow T1 or shadow ISDN for redundency and the cost jumps to aprox $2200/month.   Depending upon the bandwidth requirements of your site, a single T1 might not even be enough to support the traffic.

(add the cost of routers, firewall, servers and other hardware for your infrastructure and you've got a big nut to crack... )

AR15.com stays available to us due to the generosity of the Avila's who, I am quite certain, pay a SHITLOAD OF $$ to keep this site up!  

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks iam looking for business opertunities.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
thanks iam looking for business opertunities.
View Quote

Drop me a note if I can be of any assistance.
I'll help you out w/information in any way that I can at no charge.  

[email protected]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top