User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 2:45:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:56:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Jobs - the big three are headquartered in the metro area.

Great.  

I'll bet I know where a big chunk of those inflated UAW-bartered wages is going.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Henry Ford hired alot of Lebanese immigrants during the '20s and '30s. He liked immigrants for the same reason he liked Blacks from the South, he felt that they would be less likely to go Union on him.  Once the community established itself, it continued to grow.  Arabic cultures are very clannish and male dominated, most families, even the Christian ones, won't allow the daughters to marry or even date outside thier ethnic group.  As a result, males from the old country have access to America through arranged marriages.  Then the guy's family can get in and so it goes...

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've been working in the auto industry for a few years now and I don't think I have seen more than a few arabs.  The arabs in Dearborn are usually uneducated.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Because the border to Canada is not far away and they can hide their terrorist buddies while they go back and forth between Canada and Michigan. It's also a heavily populated area where they can defend the area with a little less effort. Lot's of smaller homes in a small area. AKA, moving full auto weapons or bomb making material from one home to the other without being seen by the cops.

And they'll be taking over the local government there pretty soon. Then they'll be a country unto their own.

Question answered?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
As someone else said, arabic people are super clanish and very loyal to their families.  Dearborn and for the most part Sterling Heights, are mostly arabic because they like to live with their own kind.  One or two people get over here, they then bring the whole family, and the family brings people, and they cycle continues and the community grows.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#9]
we call it camelborne MI
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been working in the auto industry for a few years now and I don't think I have seen more than a few arabs.  The arabs in Dearborn are usually uneducated.  

Which plant are you at?

I work at the Lear testlab in Southfield but routinely interact with all sorts of engineers and linesmen from all of the big 3 as well as a few foreigns automakers.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Just to add something, the most dangerous place at night is driving down a road in Dearborn.  Not so much because of crime but becasue these people can't read the road signs and therefore obey none of them.  

I am starting to get that pissed off feeling thinking of how I am going to have to go back there a few times a week for school.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Straight up, Dearborn is fine. Good restaurants and Bars. You’re a lot safer there than say Detroit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Alot of cars + alot of people = The need for gas stations and 7-elevens
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just to add something, the most dangerous place at night is driving down a road in Dearborn.  Not so much because of crime but becasue these people can't read the road signs and therefore obey none of them.  

Tell me about it, 9 times out of 10 when you get cut off around here, you get next to the car and see a couple of women in headscarves in the front and about six kids in the back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me about it, 9 times out of 10 when you get cut off around here, you get next to the car and see a couple of women in headscarves in the front and about six kids in the back.

ummm...multiple bogies?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:
hr

[/quot]

aint that the truth
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Even the blond haired blue eyed teeny boppers? 'cause that's who cuts me off mostly. (SE MI here). I don't get to Troy a  lot but have heard lame stuff from people that work retail in Troy.

(Side note, on local access cable, ever watch the Arab get togethers? Wacky.)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Even the blond haired blue eyed teeny boppers? 'cause that's who cuts me off mostly. (SE MI here). I don't get to Troy a  lot but have heard lame stuff from people that work retail in Troy.

(Side note, on local access cable, ever watch the Arab get togethers? Wacky.)

Do they ever get together like the ones overseas and shoot AK47's up in the air and stuff?

Maybe someone ought to invite them to a shoot. Sounds like a fun bunch.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As someone else said, arabic people are super clanish and very loyal to their families.  Dearborn and for the most part Sterling Heights, are mostly arabic because they like to live with their own kind.  One or two people get over here, they then bring the whole family, and the family brings people, and they cycle continues and the community grows.  

I can sympathize with that. My family arrived in the USA from Hong Kong in the 1950 and she couldn't speak English, and my mom was scarced $hitless on Oct 31, because she never heard or seen Halloween and my dad was away working at night, and today my children walk the streets of my nieghborhood gathering candy and never having a second though of what grandma had to endure.

Many Vietnamese when they arrived into the USA settled in Orange County, Calif, around Garden Grove & Westminster, now that is one bunch of pro-USA people.

And of course many newly arrived Chinese settle in Chinatown of Los Angeles, Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Rosemead etc which are are suburbs of Los Angeles.

It will take one generation for those folks to learn to be true Americans.

sledhead: Most of the recent arrivals also can't drive worth a $hit, so I have to drive very carefully in order to avoid getting into a collision.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Because the own it! You should see the size of the mosque they have here!

You can drive down some road here, main roads like Warren Ave. and the businesses will have their signs in Arabic, with English underneath. There used to be a billboard on Michigan Avenue right off of Interstate 94 that was all in Arabic, and the scrolling sign for one of the Credit Unions here looks like a heart monitor.

If you drive through the neighborhoods you will see women in the full burka's sitting on the porch while the terrorists in training run around the yard. One of the clothing stores here actually has manequins in the window with the full burka on.

Welcome to Ameriqua!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#21]
warlord

I hear ya I was in CA. for two years 29 Palms USMC and we use to go to L.A. alot. Got into an accident and the cops had to call another unit to translate. The lady missed the stop sign and t-boned us.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can sympathize with that. My family arrived in the USA from Hong Kong in the 1950 and she couldn't speak English, and my mom was scarced $hitless on Oct 31, because she never heard or seen Halloween and my dad was away working at night, and today my children walk the streets of my nieghborhood gathering candy and never having a second though of what grandma had to endure.

Many Vietnamese when they arrived into the USA settled in Orange County, Calif, around Garden Grove & Westminster, now that is one bunch of pro-USA people.

And of course many newly arrived Chinese settle in Chinatown of Los Angeles, Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Rosemead etc which are are suburbs of Los Angeles.

It will take one generation for those folks to learn to be true Americans.

sledhead: Most of the recent arrivals also can't drive worth a $hit, so I have to drive very carefully in order to avoid getting into a collision.

While I agree with most of what you said, it will take several generations for a lot of these folks to say they are Americans.  The youth have no respect for anything, and are more loyal to their native country flag than the US.  Most of the kids (25 and under) hate the US and what it stands for and refuse to call themselves American.  

And it is just the oppisite for several people as well.  Many Arabs love this country and take advantage of it.  They are very entrepreneurial and love america.    It goes both ways, but for the majority it will take several generations for  these folks to call themselves americans.  Jus my .02.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Boy, sure is alot of sterotyping going on.

Clumping Arabs together is like saying  there is no differnce between the French, English, Spainish, Italians or any other country in Europe.  The Arab culture is as diverse as any other group of countries.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only six? she must be a virgin then.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
hr

Only six? she must be a virgin then.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#26]
After reading this post I am so thankful that most of the immigrants in my area are meskins.  We have a lot in common.

1 we both like  cold cerveza.

2. We both like pork. A. Chorizo
                            B. Tamales
                            C. Chicorones
3. We both think less is more when it comes to clothes for women.

4.  We both believe in Christianity.  And ain't lookin to kill people who think different than us.

5.  We both believe in working hard.

6. Czech polka and meskin music sound the same, almost.

7.  White folk will party on Friday and Saturday whereas Hispanics don't mind partying on Sunday.  Works out better on hall rental.

8. Neither one of us is going to blow ourselves up to one up anyone.

9.  We both use towels to dry off instead of as clothing.

and 10.

Though we are both proud of our heritage, we realize that livin in this country gives us the freedom to be all we can be.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top