Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/23/2002 8:33:18 PM EST
Have a buddy who's father was in the Pacific Theater during WWII. He'd like to find out about his military record. How would he go about doing it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:09:09 AM EST
Because of the time factor, this may be tough. First I'd suggest doing a search on his unit at Yahoo! You might get a general idea of what he did. If he doesn't know what unit his dad was in, try and find out if he has a DD 214 (Discharge Certificate). This should provide that info, as well as a listing of awards and any overseas time. You can also go to www.military.com and do a search on the unit. You have to be a member to do this, so check it out before you try. All else fails, get his name and social security number and call the local dept. of veterans affairs. They probably know some places to look for this kind of info.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:12:36 AM EST
Thanks for the info. I'll let him know.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:43:42 PM EST
So not forget the VA. Im sure there is a chaper in you area. Check the phone book.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:35:40 AM EST
Your buddy should also contact the National Personnel Records Center - Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) in St. Louis, website [url]http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_louis/military_personnel_records.html[/url]. They had a fire in 1973 that destroyed a [b]lot[/b] of records, including many from the WWII era, but they're worth a look anyway. JScott
Top Top