Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 5:52:27 PM EDT
I've got a kind of tricky question for you.  If you had a pre-ban AR15 with a military upper, could you also own a post-ban AR15.  Could the pre-ban upper be considered constructive intent for the other weapon, even though the upper was installed on the pre-ban weapon.

Would this same reasoning also go with a M-16 dummy gun and a post-ban AR15?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I think VA hit the nail on the head.  Having a pre upper might be a concern for "intent" if you owned no pre lower, but since you have a legal lower to put it on, I don't think you would have a problem even you hosted a tupperware party for those ATF faggots....ahh, I mean gentlemen.

I also agree with him about if they want intent, they'll find it if you own nothing more than a single shot 20 guage.  So, legally you're fine.  In reality, if they want to screw you, you're screwed.

Mike

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me clarify my reference to the dummy M-16.  That is a M-16, with all its parts except the lower receiver, which has been replaced by a dummy non-functional receiver, to be used for display purposes.  

I bring this up because I've heard that it is not a good idea to have military dummy machineguns and also possess their civilian semi-auto,counterpart.  (eg. possessing both the Thompson SMG dummy gun and also the the new production semi-auto Thompson made by Kahr.)

Is it me, or are these laws kind of confusing?  
Thanks guys for your insightful wisdom.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top