Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 2:48:22 PM EDT
It seems like everybody has an AR, but other than going to the range and banging away, they don’t get much use.  Most of us don’t use them to compete.
Why?  Is it because we don’t like the available courses of fire?  

How about a sport that’s open to ARs only?  How about a sport that doesn’t require a fully tricked-out or custom AR?  How about a sport that doesn’t require a lot of fancy or expensive equipment?  How about a game that’s accessible to anyone with a standard, off-the-shelf AR equipped with iron sights or the usual “tactical” scope or dot sight?  

I’ve been thinking about this and here’s what I’ve come up with:  AR-15 Silhouette.

Targets:  1/5th scale Smallbore Rifle silhouettes. http://www.allmetalssupply.com/silhouette_shooting_targets_nra_ihmsa.htm#SMALL%20BORE%201/5TH%20SCALE%20%20/%20%201/4"
Minimum T-1 steel.

Range: 50 – 200 meters.

Course of fire:  40 shot match – 10 each Chickens @ 50M, Pigs @ 100M, Turkeys @ 150M and Rams @ 200M in banks of 5.  Just like handgun silhouette, except the targets are 1/5th scale and shooting is done from the standing position only.  
No mats, shooting jackets, shooting gloves.  
Five shots in one minute.  We’re shooting semi-autos.  Don’t need no stinkin’ 2 minutes like those single-shot games!  
Classes will be based on skill level as in other silhouette games.

Guns:  Standard or light-weight/configuration AR-15s with 16-20” barrels.  No heavy barrels.  No float tubes.  No muzzle brakes.  Flash hiders or plain barrels only.
I don’t see any way to avoid aftermarket triggers.  Keep your Jewell or JP.  No release triggers.  
Standard GI-type butt stocks (including retractable stocks), pistol grips and handguards.
All rounds must feed from a standard magazine.  No steel-penetrator ammo!
Scopes will have a max magnification of 6X.  
Separate classes for iron sights.  
No “Unlimited” classes!

The point is to have a fun game while eliminating an equipment race that would price the average guy out.  Shooting skill would be the most important factor, not the deep pockets necessary to buy the best toys.  

The idea is to have a game that will be hard enough that only the best shooters, under the best conditions with a bit of luck will be able to go “clean”.  The average 1st timer will probably shoot a score of 5 to 15X40.  Scores in the 20s will be respectable.  Long shoot-offs will be eliminated because there’ll be very few ties.  As in other silhouette games, when two shooters have the same score, the guy with the most Rams will win, then Turkeys, etc.  
1/5th scale targets will require 2-3 MOA accuracy and a little luck on the asymmetrical targets.  
Benchrest-quality handloads wouldn’t be needed.  There’ll be times when a flyer might come in handy!  

Another good thing would be the ability to set up at most commercial ranges with a minimum cash outlay.  

Everybody loves plinking and silhouette shooting is nothing but organized plinking.  It’s fun.  You get instant feedback/gratification.  

Should be a good family sport, too.

Lots of details to be worked out, but what do you think?  
Is this already being done and nobody told me?

John
Cape Canaveral
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The No HBar bit will throw most people away as most manufacturers use an HBar, how 'bout no BULL barrells
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
the CMP has a service match comp. You use A2 Ar's or m14's.

That said, I dont like a2's and dismanteled my cmp DPMS match rifle and turned it into a SPR. Much more fun now
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Just show up at a service rifle match with an off the shelf A2 of some sort. They'll let you compete. If you're a good rifleman, you'll do better than the guys who aren't, but are competing with expensive guns.

Even still, it shouldn't cost much to bring an AR up to a competitive level in service rifle matches, should it (others feel free to chime in)? Just free float it under the handguards, put a decent trigger in there, change the front and rear sights and maybe go with an HBAR. Toss some lead in the butstock to balance out the heavy front end a bit. Shouldn't be more than a $1500-$2000 rifle at most, right? All of the mods are pretty cheap, considering.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta allow muzzle brakes for the no-ban guys but I like the idea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a great idea, but you may as well include unlimited, "stock", and semi-custom classes from the start.

Stock rifles are shot as is from the factory, except 2 stage triggers with minimum 4.5 pounds total pull may be installed.

Semi-custom rifles can have heavy barrels up to a profile defined in the rules and a maximum 10 pound weight.  A1 or A2 stocks are required.  No weights under the handguards or in the butt stock.  A2 or A3 sights are still required, although the front post can be refined.

Unlimited class - shoot whatever you are horse enough to drag to the line.  No scopes or diopter lenses (they aren't required for this game anyway).  Wild color schemes are encouraged.

All rifles must use stock AR-15 or M-16 magazines.

If more than 40 shots are required, this will help hold the weight of unlimited guns down if they are too hard to shoot through a long string.

Time limit for 5 shots at two minutes is about right - this will help level the field amongst the good wind and mirage readers and everyone else and prevent holding shots for a uniform condition.

I think I will see if I can experiment on a 100% pig to see if a 77 grain bullet will knock it over at 200 yards.  

In fact, I'm not so sure the targets should be scaled or lightened if they can be knocked over with a .223 Remington at 200 yards; shoot full scale targets and adjust the times or target spacing to increase the difficulty.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My ArmaLite M15A2 is all stock.  I have no problem competing against race guns in Practice Rifle matches.  It's more about the shooter than the equipment.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
sounds like a lot of fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top