Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2009 8:19:24 AM EST
I wanted to post this so hopefully others will not make the stupid mistakes that we made.

I went on a fishing trip on Saturday 8-1-09, it was a fun day that started out at O dark 30 and ended a little after 7 when I returned home. I got home and unpacked my vehicle and brought my rods, reels, backpack, waders, and boots into the house. I started to put away my things and I noticed my wife was outside with all of our children. They were playing in their little kiddy pool. I just finished putting my boots and waders away in the garage and I came back into the house. My wife came in to say hi to me real quick.

We went to go outside when I stopped to put something away. As I went to put it away we heard my oldest daughter screaming. So I ditched it on top of the fridge and we went outside.

My wife went out first and I followed. All of a sudden I heard her screaming. She ran to the little kiddy pool and retrieved our youngest son who was face down floating in the water. She handed him to me, he was blue, cold, limp, not breathing, I could not detect a pulse, and his eyes were rolled back. I immediately started to administer CPR and told my wife to call 911.

As luck would have it our phone was dead (we have phone service though our cable service provider and from time to time has had issues). My wife in a panic could not find her cell phone so she ran to a neighbor’s house to call.

Meanwhile I am continuing to administer CPR and my son is still nonresponsive. I yelled as loud as I could to hurry and call f’n 911. Finally she was able to find a neighbor that was home and called. As she was on her way back (I did not know this at the time) my son took a short breath and coughed up some water. Just as I thought that he might not die he stopped breathing again. I went back to performing CPR. Just before my wife got back he started to breath although it was very shallow. He opened his eyes and his pupils were fixed and he kept going in and out of concessions.

After what seemed like an eternity the paramedics showed up. By this time my son was starting to cry a little. He was transported to the local ER I went along in the ambulance with him. By the time the ER doctors were done examining him he was starting to act more like himself. By this time my wife and our two other children arrived at the ER. The doctors decided to keep him overnight for observation. Then they decided that they wanted to transfer him to a different hospital that had a better pediatric unit.

So my wife decided that she wanted to go with him when they transported him so I could go home and put our other children to bed (it was after 11PM). When she got to the other hospital she called me and she said that he is acting more normal but now he has a fever.

Nicholas was released from the hospital on Sunday afternoon. He seems like his old self and like nothing happed. He was seen by his pediatrician yesterday. She said that he looked good, but we are not totally out of the woods yet. She indicated that there was a possibility that he could develop pneumonia. She also indicated that there was no way to tell at this age whether or not he has any minor brain damage as it was estimated that he was without oxygen for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
I just thank god that this did not turn out a different way. I also decided to post this because sometime as parents we can get complacent with things. I wanted to remind other parents not to get complacent because that is when accidents happen.

I just thought that I would share a picture of Nicholas with everyone (I just took this pic today). Yes he is a little messy but he was just eating a S’mores granola bar.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:21:53 AM EST
Glad to hear he is all right.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:24:25 AM EST
Glad to hear this turned out good.

Count your blessings.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:25:17 AM EST
That's scary stuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:27:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:29:15 AM EST
Thank god he's OK. Good on you Dad for staying cool enough to be able to do what needed to get done. Sounds like you saved his life.!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:29:51 AM EST
I'm glad things turned out OK for you. This is another great story to tell to folks who don't think CPR training is necessary for parents.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:30:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2009 9:08:04 AM EST by Prime]
Great save. (ETA: For instructive purposes to parents who might be reading, not for the purposes of assigning blame) How deep was the pool?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:30:32 AM EST
glad to hear he is ok
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:31:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By DangerDave:
That's scary stuff.

No kidding. I'm glad you knew how to do the CPR.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:32:29 AM EST
My son is that age and has the same shirt (As if that matters) I am so glad it turned out good. Good for you for knowing CPR !
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:33:26 AM EST
Glad you took the time to learn CPR or it would have been much different.

Well done.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:34:46 AM EST
Jesus man. I got the chills. Glad he's OK.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:37:13 AM EST
Glad to hear he's OK.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:37:20 AM EST
Good thing you know CPR. Glad he's ok.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:39:02 AM EST
Glad to hear that he's safe and sound now
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:39:25 AM EST
damn scary shit, same thing happened to my little sister, luckily she was ok.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:42:40 AM EST
I hope he’s alright. Fortunately you acted properly and saved your son’s life. Hopefully you got to him before there was any permanent damage.

Thanks for posting this because it should be a lesson to everyone. Pools, even shallow pools are very dangerous. When your kids are playing in a pool, use the same level of caution that you would if the kids were shooting at a rifle range.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:43:32 AM EST
WOW! I pray there are no lasting effects!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:44:48 AM EST
Great that this had a happy ending!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:47:38 AM EST
wow. gald he's ok
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:49:43 AM EST
Thank God he is alright. He'll be in my prayers tonight.
By the way, I have 3 kids and I can assure you, THAT's not messy!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:52:46 AM EST
I am so happy that this turned out as well as it did for your family. I have two kids, 2 & 6. I can only imagine...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:52:52 AM EST
Glad he's ok. When I was a toddler my mom learned real quick that I swam like a rock - straight down.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:56:01 AM EST
WOW!

You should be proud of yourself for handling it the way you did.

I don't know if I could have done the same.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:01:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By jmb_nova:
Glad you took the time to learn CPR or it would have been much different.

Well done.

This and you were calm enough to perform it. Its not as easy as people think.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:02:43 AM EST
You are your son's hero. Good job.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:06:27 AM EST
I wake up in cold sweats at night becuase of nightmares of this exact thing with my children and its one of many reasons why I have a hard time not having them in a direct line of sight at all times. My wife says I cant be like with the kids, but all it takes is a slpit second and they could be gone.

THANK GOD, that you reacted the way you did. Your son is alive today becuase of you being able to step to the plate when the time came.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:16:32 AM EST
Good job, Dad.

A chill went thru me as I recalled a similar post I made around Thanksgiving 2007.

Performing CPR on any kid is tough, doing it on your own kid is scary beyond words.

Listen up people, listen good. No one rises to the occasion, they default to their training.

Learn CPR !
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:22:56 AM EST
I'm glad he's ok, thank god!! You're not only a good dad dude, you're a hero.
One thing that I would really like to add to drive this one home to everyone is that this shit can happen unexpectedly FAST and quietly too. Don't even take your eyes off them for a minute. I had an incident with my son when he was 3 even though I was in the pool with him! He's ok too thank god, I was right there so got him up and out fast but trust me when I tell you it can happen alarmingly fast and silently. Never ever ever take your eyes off of them, not even in the bathtub!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:25:47 AM EST
Glad to hear it turned out alright. things like this that happen is one of the big reason we always had a golden retriever in the house. they are like having a guardian angel watching you kids
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:28:23 AM EST
I cannot imagine how bad that must have been. Good thing you kept your cool and did what was necessary. I'm glad he will be OK.

That being said you might get a visit from CPS. Be prepared for govt involvement.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:29:54 AM EST
happy to hear he is doing better. hope all turns out well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:33:53 AM EST
perfect reason for all parents to take a cpr course, or hell, everyone should.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:46:57 AM EST
I'm very glad he is OK and hope there are no further complications.

One of the families involved with the swim team my kids are on lost their two year old daughter to drowning early this summer. It happened at a pool party with about 30 adults and likely the same amount of various age children, water can be very dangerous when combined with complacency. It only takes a few seconds for things to go horribly wrong.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:54:31 AM EST
Sorry you had to go through this but Glad everything is ok!!! And thanks for the reminder that it only takes a minute.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:59:45 AM EST
Good for you sir, CPR and first responer basics were a prerequisite for me to start driving in my family and it has paid for itself in spades on more than one occasion..

Good Luck and God's speed for your son's full recovery.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:01:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2009 10:03:00 AM EST by operatorerror]
It only takes a moment. Kids are tough though, pulled a few from the water that have no deficits, no permanent damage. My neighbor lost his toddler to a bucket of water. It only takes a moment.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:14:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:27:57 AM EST
Wow. Just wow.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:31:50 AM EST
Nice work. I have two boys of my own, I don't know what I would do without them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:32:05 AM EST
Thank you everyone for the kind words. In thinking back to that day I am not sure why I was able to react in the way I did. In all honesty I was scared out of my fucking mind when my wife handed me his lifeless body. I think I was only calm because my wife was a hysterical mess. My 5 year old daughter (that is autistic) was also screaming and crying uncontrollably. I knew that if I did not at least appear to be calm that it would have made things worse. It was the first time in my 35 years that I have been placed in a situation where someone could have died. The thought that we almost lost our 20 month old still haunts me. To think that if I had told my wife to go back out when she first came in none of this would have happened. Or if I had just gone out there first it all could have been avoided.

This also taught me that I should go in for a refresher course for CPR. Yes I was able to perform it but I was going off the vague memory of when I was taught it many years ago. My wife also said that she wants to get trained as she does not know how to perform CPR. The pool in question was just one of those little blue hard plastic pools (I think someone asked in this thread). Like I have said before I just thank God that this did not turn out differently.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:34:13 AM EST
I am glad he is ok..Keep us updated to his progress..I worry about things such as this with my kids,ALWAYS...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:49:19 AM EST
Scary story. Glad he's OK. You can't take your eye's off them for a second. You were lucky this time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:53:27 AM EST
Great job!!!!!!

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:54:48 AM EST
Praise be to God that he is alright and you knew what to do, then did it. God Bless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:56:22 AM EST
Glad hes ok. The Gf and I will pray for him. You convinced me to take a CPR class.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:03:03 AM EST
I have a pool and a 3 1/2 yr old daughter. Nothing frightens me more than the thought of her getting away from us and making it to the pool.

Glad he's ok. Count your blessings.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:04:55 AM EST
Great job, you are a hero. For someone having a heart attack the save rate for CPR is very low, but for drowning or electric shock victims, especially young kids, it can be very effective.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:11:08 AM EST
Ban kiddie pools, for the children!

I'm glad that your kid is okay.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:12:25 AM EST
cool story bro.

Glad your kid is alright.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top