Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/12/2004 4:03:33 PM EST
We have have GM, Ford, their international subsidiaries. Chrysler is foreign owned now...we pretty much have to write them off now in my opinion as being an "American" company.

Any chance Caterpillar might start something up for the populace?

How about semi-tractor-truck manufacturers? I really don't know much about them other than just assuming the major manufacturers of semi's that come to mind are domestic. Mack? Kenworth? Freightliner? Peterbilt?

I am probably missing possibilities AND assuming too much among the truck builders I mentioned.

My thought is if there will be any more American manufacturers, it will come in the form of more GM and Ford acquisitions worldwide.

Discuss and debate.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:10:21 PM EST
no, the start up cost is beyond anyone. that market is an oligopoly
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:13:16 PM EST
There will be no more major auto manufacturers in the US, there is already a huge overcapacity of everything auto related in the US, plant capacity, brands, dealership franchises, the works. There are certain cases of established players creating new brands like Toyota with Lexus and Scion or GM with Saturn. There might even be cases of established foreign companies coming here like Hyundai. But no totally new players, the costs associated with entry, product development and marketing are too high for the margins available.
Top Top