Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 11:14:57 PM EDT
What are the odds.  

Miss Deaf Texas Struck, Killed By Train

POSTED: 8:40 pm PST March 13, 2006

AUSTIN -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died Monday afternoon after being struck by a train in Austin.

Authorities said 18-year-old Tara Rose McAvoy was walking near railroad tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train. A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the collision occurred.

McAvoy, who had been deaf since birth, won the state title in June. The state pageant director said she represented Texas "with dignity and pride."

McAvoy was to represent Texas at the Miss Deaf America pageant this summer.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Coming soon:  Lawsuits demanding trains be equiped with signals that don't discriminate against the hearing-impaired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Was she hot?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Bummer.

Although - how do you get hit by a trian by walking "near" the tracks?

My guess is that she was walking pretty much on the tracks.  Which, if you are deaf, is about as stupid as riding a bicycle in traffic if you are blind.

Still, it's pretty sad.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's not irony but it is a sad story.

I agree.

Very sad.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I can "feel" the vibrations caused by those train horns, I don't see how even a deaf person can miss that.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can "feel" the vibrations caused by those train horns, I don't see how even a deaf person can miss that.  

Wonder if its suicide? I mean if she is hearing impaired I would think that she would be more visually alert. Just sounds odd.

Sad too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
She was walking on the tracks and was typing a text message to her dad at the time according to the local news. Very sad.

Austin has a very high deaf population.  The Texas School for the Deaf is here.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]

RIP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
She was walking on the tracks and was typing a text message to her dad at the time according to the local news. Very sad.

Austin has a very high deaf population.  The Texas School for the Deaf is here.  

Oh man! distracted. Damn...

Learn something new on ARFCOM every day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:41:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I just searched google for "hit by train."

I can't believe how many people get hit by trains.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:47:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's not irony but it is a sad story.

I agree.

Very sad.

Right.

Irony would be..."Ms. Locomotive USA gets killed by train..."  Or maybe, if the Train engineer was BLIND...now That would be ironic.

This is just a sad story.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Think about the engineer for a second. He witnessed the up close and personal slaughter of a beautiful teenage girl by his engine and there was not a damn thing he could have done to avert it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Think about the engineer for a second. He witnessed the up close and personal slaughter of a beautiful teenage girl by his engine and there was not a damn thing he could have done to avert it.

+1

I'd have a really hard time with that myself...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 Bummer.

My guess is that she was walking pretty much on the tracks.  Which, if you are deaf, is about as stupid as riding a bicycle in traffic if you are blind.

Still, it's pretty sad.  

actually, depending on the speed of the train, you could be 4-5 feet away and get sucked into the train from the draft.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#18]
that sux, I would think that someone who was hearing impared would be extra careful about things like that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1, and that is just from the horn, the 100's of tons of rolling steel is even worse.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Bummer.

Still, it's pretty sad.  

actually, depending on the speed of the train, you could be 4-5 feet away and get sucked into the train from the draft.

I didn't think of that at first.  Now that you mentioned it, I've experienced a similar phenomenon.  I take the VRE commuter train everyday and sometimes a big freight will roll through at high speed.  You can feel some pretty good suction from the draft sometimes.  There are bumpy plates at the edge of the platform you are supposed to stay behind at all times, probably to avoid something like this.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Apologies up front, but:

roy d.....I feel sooo wrong, but I had to giggle a little
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I was puzzled by this too and talked to an officer familiar with it.

She wasn't on the tracks, but walking to one side.  What killed her was some sort of track repair rigging mount on the front of the engine.  It apparently sticks out about 4 feet to each side and struck her from behind, dragging her and then throwing her into the ditch.  She must have felt the vibrations but thought she was safe.  Train speed was about 15mph.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Oh yes...it does suck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

She wasn't on the tracks, but walking to one side.  What killed her was some sort of track repair rigging mount on the front of the engine.  It apparently sticks out about 4 feet to each side and struck her from behind, dragging her and then throwing her into the ditch.  She must have felt the vibrations but thought she was safe.  Train speed was about 15mph.  

Oh that sucks!!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I just searched google for "hit by train."

I can't believe how many people get hit by trains.

The vast majority of those cases are TRULY "Evolution in Action" - from people walking on train tracks, or people driving around the gates and flashing lights at train crossings.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw a police video tv show a few years ago that had a police officer that stopped a lady after she drove around and through the train crossing barricades. She told the officer that she refused to believe that she did anything wrong. “If I’m not supposed to be able to cross when there down, why do they have enough space on either side to get past them?!”

She apparently got in the incoming lane and then drove diagonal to the exit of her lane.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Apologies up front, but:

roy d.....I feel sooo wrong, but I had to giggle a little

The giggle loop!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's messed up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's messed up.

Lawsuit time.  Dont see how they didnt realize a 4 foot pole off the side of the train wasnt dangerous, but they will realize shortly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's messed up.

Lawsuit time.  Dont see how they didnt realize a 4 foot pole off the side of the train wasnt dangerous, but they will realize shortly.

Who owns the ground 4 feet from the tracks?  I'm guessing it wasn't public property and she should not have been there in the first place.  Yes, it is a terrible accident, but certainly not negligence on the part of the railway company.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's messed up.

Who owns the ground 4 feet from the tracks?  I'm guessing it wasn't public property and she should not have been there in the first place.  Yes, it is a terrible accident, but certainly not negligence on the part of the railway company.

Ding ding ding.

She was most likely trespassing if she was that close to a train.  While sad, it was totally preventable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's messed up.

Ding ding ding.

She was most likely trespassing if she was that close to a train.  While sad, it was totally preventable.

The maintenence equipment sticking out sounds like BS.

Almost all locomotives have snowplows.  They stick out about a foot to either side of the pilot.  Railroad equipment travels long distances, and can be working through a snowstorm in Illinois one day, and by the next day be in Texas or California.  

Generally speaking, the railroad will own 20 to 50 feet to either side of the center of the track on a single track, 20 to 50 feet to the sides of the outermost tracks where there are multiple tracks.  If she was close enough to get hit by ANY type of railroad equipment, and unless she was on a road or sidwalk at a crossing-at-grade, she WAS trespassing, period.  

Scenarios like these are why railroads religiously post their property.  Trespass=dead, many times.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted: What are the odds.
Pretty darned good if you're deaf and dumb! It's just chlorine for the gene pool. Let this be a lesson to y'all, don't walk by the railroad tracks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

ouch, thanks for that info.

man that sucks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top