Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 7:18:20 AM EDT
Hey,

I bought my mom a new computer for her birthday. She is having a trouble I don't know how to fix???

She is running Outlook Express with Windows XP home.

Anyway when she gets an e-mail with links, she clicks the link and it opens a Explorer window and takes her to the link. Fine.

However, it only works once. Every other time she clicks a link in any email, it won't take her to the link. She has to do a manual cut an past in an already open window.

When she reboots, same thing. Works once and only once.

Anyone heard of this trouble or a fix?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Have her click:

- Start
- Run
- Type in: regsvr32 urlmon.dll and click ok

See if that fixes it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a guess but have her hold down Ctrl and then click.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
what about refreshing the page= or pushing f5 to refresh- sometimes links will time out if a windows stays open too long- like in hotmail.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes, when you click on Web links in mail or news posts, nothing happens. What are the most common causes of non-functioning links, and what can you do?

First, make sure that Outlook Express is set up as your default mail and news program.

Click the Tools menu
Click Options
On the General tab Make sure there's a check mark in the box next to Make Outlook Express my default e-mail program
Make sure there's a check mark in the box next to Make Outlook Express my default news reader
Click OK.
If Outlook Express is set up as your default mail and news program, and links still aren't working, you must make sure that Internet Explorer is your default browser.

Open Internet Explorer
Click Tools
Click Internet Options
Select the Programs tab
Make sure there's a check mark in the box next to the option Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser
In that same window, make sure that Outlook Express is listed as your Mail and News program
Click OK
Web links should be linked and live in your Mail and News messages.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes when you click a link, it may open in an IE window that's already open, so it won't "pop up", and you won't even know it happened until you go to look at the other window that it opened up in. This may be what is happening.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Please for her sake, make sure she runs the Windows Update, and does ALL the critical updates, and recommended updates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top