Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 1:18:24 PM EDT
I had posted this in another thread, but I think it might be better here:

A letter to my grandfather Marwell “Marb (or “Shorty)” Sieber, from his younger brother Norbert “Bud” Sieber while both were preparing to come home from fighting in WWII.  (My grandfather was in Italy at the time, Bud was in the south Pacific)

Pauay (sp?), P.I.
Aug 29-45

Hello Marb,

We were supposed to leave today but the ship isn’t ready to go so maybe we will get started by Fri.  I sure hope so.

I’m sure glad to get out of al this mess.  It won’t be so bad with only Occupation duty now.  At least they don’t have to shoot their way in.

The fellows here weren’t much elated by the surrender.  Just no emotion left In ‘em I guess.

Andy (Their younger brother, Andrew Sieber, was a radio operator, landing on islands before the troops and radioing Japanese bunker locations.  Very bloody – ODD) told me what island he was on, a sailor told me how to get there and hopped a P.T. Boat and went down.  He is on Calscoan (sp?) just off the souther tip of Samoa (sp?).  I had to go AWOL to see him but I got out of it Okay – thanks to my C.O. the Exec. Officer and some complications.  I’ll tell you about it when I see you.

(Appears to be missing pages here)

Sounds just like Lucy.  Let her make her own way.  She always was good at it.

Boy that Atomic bomb was a honey.  They should have used them thicker and faster.  It is unbelievable they do so much damage.

Send my mail home from now on.  I’ll be on my way in two days but I’m not sure how long I’ll be en route. -  Just so I’m on my way.

So long now,

Bud

Sept 4

I’m leaving for Jeyte (sp?) tomorrow.  Some of the fellows left today but I happened to be in town working so I missed out this morning.  I’m always fortunate.  See you in six weeks I hope.   Bud.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Well "Jeyte" must be Leyte. Don't know about the rest. Interesting that he does not think the atomic bombs were mis-used!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well "Jeyte" must be Leyte. Don't know about the rest. Interesting that he does not think the atomic bombs were mis-used!!

I looked again, and I believe you're correct.

I have to find my scanner and hook it up, maybe someone up on their geography can figure out the other parts.

I just found the letter in my grandfather's stuff, but it is priceless to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top