Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 2:41:32 PM EDT by Aimless]
Big brother can't always be there: www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/31/scene.blog/index.html..........

A woman coming down to the police, close to hysterics, saying, "My elderly mother is in a building over there, she needs dialysis. She can't get it. She is dying. Can you help me?"

And the police had to say, "There is absolutely nothing we can do. We don't have a precinct house. We don't have communication. There is absolutely nothing we can do for you."

That was amazing to me.

The other thing that struck me was the looting. The police were standing in the middle of the street and right in front of them stores were being ransacked. And they didn't even make an effort to stop it. I don't think they could, under the circumstances.

They were totally outnumbered. They couldn't call for any reinforcements. And frankly, the priority now isn't property. The priority has to be people and people's lives. The police are there protectively, I think, in case things escalate even further. But they are powerless. They're powerless in this situation.

This isn't exactly a newsflash to most folks on ARFcom.

I think that the full scope of the hurricane has yet to comprehended. I can't help but remember the tsunami and the initial low body counts. Other than looters getting just deserts, I hope this isn't the case

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:22:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:44:20 PM EDT by bear3351]
I'll take it. (it was in the wrong forum.)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:36:16 PM EDT
Open the season on looters and I'll head down there to do my part. :)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 2:55:25 PM EDT by schornstinefager]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:49 PM EDT
The historically corrupt cops in New Orleans are participating in the looting and in some cases actually directing the looters to loot in an orderly manner so as to maintain safety...good times.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:49:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SP10:

And the police had to say, "There is absolutely nothing we can do. We don't have a precinct house. We don't have communication. There is absolutely nothing we can do for you."

So they're sitting there pud-wacking instead of out looking for survivors? Nice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:55:11 PM EDT
The Feds are reacting at a snails pace. The Country is learning a hard lesson about relying on the Government.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:02:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uncle_frank:

The Country is learning a hard lesson about relying on the Government.

Are they REALLY learning is the question?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:02:14 PM EDT

The Feds are reacting at a snails pace. The Country is learning a hard lesson about relying on the Government.

Amen.

The POINT is to be PREPARED for the WORST, while hoping you are wasting your time in DOING the planning. For SOME reason, the gub'ment doesn't seem to "get" this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:07:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:11:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:11:47 PM EDT

Frank you are sooooo very right. It's been all of 48 hours after the entire fucking city floods and the dams break. What the hell is wrong with the federal govt. why haven't they solved this problem. I'm sure that have extra dams, huge fucking pumps and thosands of pontoon boats lieing useless in washington D.C. Those son of a bitches are really screwing things up. '

I'm a democrate and big governement is my name, I will solve all your problems.

Frank I give the Feds ONE more DAY so to solve the infrastructure problems, restore electricity, build a few dikes, and reroute sewers, rebuild the washed out bridges. This is the Republicans fault!!!!

G.D. governement. They probably caused the storm too. I'm with you Frank
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:13:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 4:16:37 PM EDT by jmmgbohl]
I hate to be the bad guy, but Everyone with half a brain knew that NO was a bowl between two large bodies of water. They knew if a big one came....... well it did. Now it is everyone else who is at fault, police, government, Pres., NG, what about those who chose to live there? What about the ones who decided not to leave and ride it out after being told to leave. Sorry I can't feel real bad about em.
It is horrible for the kids and the elderly. But looters taking TVs, DVDs, BS!!!!!!!

Then they are asking "When are you going to rebuild us?" WHY!!!!! Why rebuild in the same BOWL??????? It makes as much sense as dosing your clothes in gas then when a passer by toss out a cigarette and all your clothes burn up, your neighbor pays for your new wardrobe.
That is like the folks in CA that build a mansion on the cliff in Malibu and a mudslide comes and washes it away. They knew it would happen the mudslide happen every year. Do we send taxes dollars to replace their first mistake to do it again???? Instead of rebuilding there rebuild inland and use the money blown on dikes and other barriers to be spent on oil refineries and other alternate energy sources.

Just some humble thoughts of a taxed to death American who tries to reason rather than react.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:50 PM EDT
When the SHTF, you must plan on depending on yourself, for protection and supplies -- do not count on the authorities for help .... period.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SP10:
A woman coming down to the police, close to hysterics, saying, "My elderly mother is in a building over there, she needs dialysis. She can't get it. She is dying. Can you help me?"

Same police told them to get the heck out 4 days ago. If not go to the SuperDome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:18:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WalkerTexasRanger:

No, they aren't. 9 out of 10 interviewees I've seen have been screaming, "the government needs to do something NOW". The notion of self-sufficiency is foreign to these people. When relief from the government or charities finally does arrive, the recipients will take as much as they can, all the while angrily asking, "what the hell took you so long?!?"

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:26:57 PM EDT

The notion of self-sufficiency is foreign to these people.

You Sir, just hit the nail on the head. You have just summed up the sheeple mindset
with one phrase. Well said.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:33:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
major storm

MANDATORY evactuation order issued

you life depends on a treatment that requires electricity.

you don't leave

sorry stupid hurts, once again it may kill you. If they were worried about mom they would have gotten here the fuck out of their to an area less likey to lose power for an extended time.

Unfortunately, and it sounds cold, you are right. If there were a storm coming, I would have carried my mother on my back if necessary to get her out of there before it became a crisis.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:52:59 PM EDT
Interview on Fox News pretty much sold it to me.

These people figured if it was going to be that bad the .gov would have come to their house, carried them out on a cot to a bus, and then handed them some pre-looted stuff from Wal-Mart and taken them to .govland until its all better.

But since you had to go somewhere to catch busses to get out of town many didn't leave. I'm sure some of them just don't care because that's their attitude. Now they're screaming that there isn't being enough done for them. One person said: "Where is our water and food? Where is our shelter? What is the State of Louisiana doing?"

I wanted to scream at this guy so bad but my TV doesn't listen well. He didn't leave so now that he's stuck in the aftermath expects the LA .gov feed him, cloth him, and transport him out of hell. Its like these people figured that the government was lying about the storm and when they got their free shit from Wal-mart but couldn't plug it in and use it because the power is out they came looking for uncle sugar. "We need food, water, and clothes....and electricity, and umm, cable TV yo! I just got this 27" flat screen from Walls-Marts!"
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:28:14 PM EDT
If the media can get there in one day, then so can the advance guard of the relief effort.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:34:30 PM EDT
I'd bet that 99% of those assholes live on the government dole anyway. Why do you think they would take the innitiative to try to take care of themselves now? Cradle to grave on the government tit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT

If the media can get there in one day, then so can the advance guard of the relief effort.

Did the media bring food water and relief? Hell no they just fly over the city "crying" about it's sad they can't pick anyone up. Pah.

And the next time the SHTF people will expect the feds to show up the day BEFORE it happens.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:38:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Progunvoter:

Frank you are sooooo very right. It's been all of 48 hours after the entire fucking city floods and the dams break. What the hell is wrong with the federal govt. why haven't they solved this problem. I'm sure that have extra dams, huge fucking pumps and thosands of pontoon boats lieing useless in washington D.C. Those son of a bitches are really screwing things up. '

Frank I give the Feds ONE more DAY so to solve the infrastructure problems, restore electricity, build a few dikes, and reroute sewers, rebuild the washed out bridges. This is the Republicans fault!!!!

How about getting WATER to the victims. Heilo drops. Hell, people don't even know which way to go to get out of NO. They did it for the psunami victims within 72 hours with no regional infrastructure..
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 5:42:28 PM EDT by mlm1219]
The mayor just declared martial law in New Orleans.

"Disgusted and furious with the lawlessness of looters who have put fear into citizens, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared Martial Law in the city and directed the city's 1,500 person police force to do "whatever it takes" to regain control of the city.

Nagin said that Martial Law means that officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters."

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:43:28 PM EDT

You really don't have a fucking clue, do you? Even if relief were right at the fringes of the storm they still couldn't do anything today. Having people there is only part of the problem, not a solution.

Come on down and see how well you can make it to some of these areas. I had to chainsaw myself out of my block twice during the storms last year. Deal with downed power poles and lines, washed out bridges, floating and abandoned cars. You need fuel to provide help. How do you get to flooded areas? We were lucky, only without power for two weeks last year.

Te Red Cross and National Guard did all they could, but logistics is always a problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:43:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pcsutton:

Originally Posted By Progunvoter:

How about getting WATER to the victims. Heilo drops. Hell, people don't even know which way to go to get out of NO. They did it for the psunami victims within 72 hours with no regional infrastructure..

Whats so bad, is that the citizens of NO without battery-powered radios DO NOT KNOW that they should evacuate, since the electricity is out. Many of them also probably think the water is going to recede, that help is coming, waiting for aid or for the water to drain, and its not going to come or happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 5:47:52 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]

Originally Posted By ScrubJ:

You really don't have a fucking clue, do you? Even if relief were right at the fringes of the storm they still couldn't do anything today. Having people there is only part of the problem, not a solution.

Come on down and see how well you can make it to some of these areas. I had to chainsaw myself out of my block twice during the storms last year. Deal with downed power poles and lines, washed out bridges, floating and abandoned cars. You need fuel to provide help. How do you get to flooded areas? We were lucky, only without power for two weeks last year.

Te Red Cross and National Guard did all they could, but logistics is always a problem.

Supplying aid (we are talking tons of food and water here) is a MAJOR logistical problem when EVERY road going to New Orleans is out and the airport is underwater. Once they got it to the city, how would they distribute it, or how would the citizens come and get it, when the road in front of their house is under 8 feet of water. Air drops here and there may help a little, but if you don't have a boat, how can you go pick up what's dropped? This whole thing is absolutely a FEMA, National Guard worst case scenario. We are not talking cutting down a few trees to clear a road here to enable the trucks to get through. NO is the bottom of a bowl filled with water.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:55:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mlm1219:
The mayor just declared martial law in New Orleans.

"Disgusted and furious with the lawlessness of looters who have put fear into citizens, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared Martial Law in the city and directed the city's 1,500 person police force to do "whatever it takes" to regain control of the city.

Nagin said that Martial Law means that officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters."

48hrs too damn late.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:55:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WalkerTexasRanger:

probably not
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:56:35 PM EDT
No one got aid to tsunami victims in 72 hours. It was a week most places two or more for some.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:59:20 PM EDT

The problem is we are not a third world country. Why is it we can help so fast other people but when it comes to Americans we are on our own.

ScrubJ

You are also right. There was not a thing that could have been done that day or even the day after. That is for those that were hit direct. Orleans was ok till the levies broke and there was enough time to have an emergency plan in order.
Certain things are not being done right. Instead of being proactive we are always reactive after the fact. They knew what could happen for years in these areas. But like always $$$$$$$$ is a factor and close your eyes and pray it will not happen here.

Well it did and there was no game plan so now the people will suffer at the stupidity of the city planners.

Martial LAw should have been started has soon as the levie broke.

All those people should have been evacuated from the dome way before instead of taking a wait and see attitude.

All I know my Heart and prayers go out to all our members and their families on this site who are going through the worst. I pray you are all safe and will make it through this ordeal. Also just to all those people living this nightmare.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT by uncle_frank]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, you can adjust your attitude. Second, sometimes just a token show of help calms people down. Just showing people possible assembly areas is also a big help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:02:57 PM EDT
Hell. looting is what those guys do best.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WS6_Keith:

Agreed, how about that 2nd amendment. Nobody needs an AR15 right?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:33:35 PM EDT
Nature just gave us a dress rehearsal for the unthinkable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:38:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Raptor22:

You are so right. It's scary, we could be in deep shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:43:18 PM EDT

When that happens, Mother Nature will win again, and people are still going to sit here crying about how 'we should have done more'.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:44:15 PM EDT

I don't know if I'd call it a rehearsal - for the folks in it, it is real. It does illustrate that the SHTF can hit a region in a short period of time and those that plan are MUCH better off than those who do not, that some folks here who have been planning for SHTF scenarios by stocking up on food, batteries, ammo, etc ARE NOT AS CRAZY as many here believed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:52:44 PM EDT by Da_Bunny]
Gov't is reacting as fast as is possible. The whole coast got it, NOLA is a very small part of it. The gov't has been there for a couple days. I'm sure the evacuees are consuming supplies like crazy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By w4klr:

Nobody needs an AR15 right?

or 10. :) I'm only up to 6 at the present.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:27:13 PM EDT
The Blue wave is coming, watch the news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50 years of democrats preaching, We will take care of you and when it happens, all they can say is George Bush caused it, we can't help.

I loved the video's people passing up bottled water to steal water soaked steros and TV's WHAT A COUNTRY!!!!! These people really are at the shallow end of the gene pool.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:35:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By whitsdeals4u:
The Blue wave is coming, watch the news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50 years of democrats preaching, We will take care of you and when it happens, all they can say is George Bush caused it, we can't help.

I loved the video's people passing up bottled water to steal water soaked steros and TV's WHAT A COUNTRY!!!!! These people really are at the shallow end of the gene pool.

And they vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:04:50 PM EDT

major storm

you don't leave

sorry stupid hurts, once again it may kill you. If they were worried about mom they would have gotten here the fuck out of their to an area less likey to lose power for an extended time.

It was very difficult to just get in a car and get out unless you were in the first wave. Not making excuses... they should have at least made it to the superdome or something, but 2 days is not a lot of warning for a cat 4 hurricane in a city of 1000000 people below sea level.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:07:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rjroberts:

major storm

you don't leave

Unfortunately, and it sounds cold, you are right. If there were a storm coming, I would have carried my mother on my back if necessary to get her out of there before it became a crisis.

Thats exactly what would have been necessary given traffic conditions. You wouldn't have gotten anywhere if you weren't on the road and out at the first warning, assuming you weren't at a job that works weekends.

These people should have been, but this one did not have much warning, relative to the size of the evacuation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:11:33 PM EDT

Nothing is more fun than killing people stealing worthless shit from waterlogged stores. YOU BETCHA, trooper....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:20:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fast_Jimmy:

Nothing is more fun than killing people THIEVES stealing worthless shit from waterlogged stores. YOU BETCHA, trooper....

So its ok if I steal everything in your house, Jimmy?
Doesn't matter if you busted your ass working to pay for it all.
After all, its only worthless shit to you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:31:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

Nothing is more fun than killing people THIEVES stealing worthless shit from waterlogged stores. YOU BETCHA, trooper....

So its ok if I steal everything in your house, Jimmy?
Doesn't matter if you busted your ass working to pay for it all.
After all, its only worthless shit to you.

If my house was under water, and a 140000 dollar total loss, and I had already left with a carload of the essentials, I wouldn't want people driving in from other states to varmint hunt the neighbors who were stealing the rest of it.

I'm sure you get a little feverish imagining it... you're first head shot on a human... see the DVD player he's carrying... that, plus martial law, makes him GAME. Don't forget good trigger control... want to see a nice spray... get to tell the grandchildren about how I defended the 50 billion dollar disaster of NO from it's own natives.

Have at it, Tiger! You're my hero!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:43:39 PM EDT
I'm not itching to go shoot a looter.
I don't get feverish, you ninny.

What surprises me is you have more compassion for
those vermin stealing someone's property than the poor slob
who worked for it.

Actually no, it doesn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 10:04:50 PM EDT by Fast_Jimmy]

who worked for it.

You're not itching? Well, the other guy was, and my post was a resonse to him.

More compassion for the thieves? No... I don't want anyone to shoot the original owners of the property either. Basically, I don't want rifle toting opportunists anywhere near anyplace with a 'prairie dog nest of looters' mentality, just to stop looting. Looting is bad. Sniping Americans, no matter how much you would enjoy it... is worse.

What surprises me is that you now claim you wouldn't do what you defended as a reasonable desire for action and, at the same time, try to paint me as sympathetic to looters, when I am, in fact, just appalled by the notion of people relishing, or even paying lip service to relishing, the idea of long range sniper style executions for stealing property.

You've revealed much in our little series of posts. Why don't you take your belated, thoroughly preposterous and clearly debunked sense of morality and have a nice long conversation with God, or something.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 10:06:51 PM EDT by Mordwyn]
This whole thing has been a cluster fuck from the beginning. The Mayor of NO has not impressed me at all, the guy is a glad handing moron. To whit...

Ordering a mandatory evacuation less than 24 hrs before a Cat 5 'Cain hits your city is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever seen....

The original voluntary Evac 3 days before the storm hit should have been mandatory. Crap, they should have ordered the evac as soon as the storm cleared south Florida and the track for NO was determined.

If you were too poor or sick to evac on your own, the city should have ordered everyone to a central location and then used all the buses they are using now to move folks from the Super dome to get people out of the city.

Instead of 10,000 refugees staying in the Super dome they should have had 10,000 National Guard personnel loaded for bear and hunkered down with their gear to ride out the storm.

Once the storm passed the NG would have left the SD and set up complete control of the now "empty city"

Anyone found on the streets is now arrested immediately and removed from the city, anyone looting is shot on sight and hung from the nearest lamp post, marked as a looter as a warning for the rest of the criminal gangs who stayed in the city through the storm in order to loot with impunity, as we are seeing now.

The fact that such a huge number of people where completely unprepared for this storm is insane, but indicative of what liberal thinking has done to this country.

The whole thing is pathetic, and the incompetent asses who govern the city of NO should be pilloried.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 10:08:32 PM EDT by ARDunstan]

who worked for it.

You're not itching? You claimed that's what it would take to get you down there.

More compassion for the thieves? No... I don't want you to shoot the original owners of the property either. Basically, I don't want you and your rifle anywhere near anyplace with a 'prairie dog nest of looters' mentality.

What surprises me is that you now claim you wouldn't do what you said you would, and are trying, at the same time, to paint me as sympathetic to looters, when I am, in fact, just appalled by the notion of people relishing, or even paying lip service to relishing, the idea of long range sniper style executions for stealing property.

You've revealed much in our little series of posts. Why don't you take your belated, thoroughly preposterous and clearly debunked sense of morality and have a nice long conversation with God, or something.

Where the fuck did I say I this:

"You claimed that's what it would take to get you down there."

What did I claim?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top