Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2016 2:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2016 2:31:58 PM EDT by Lancelot]
Hi everyone! I am new to this website, and I have never posted anything to a forum before. I have a good friend of mine who means a lot to me and my gf, and he is going off to the marines. We will see him probably one more time until he is shipped off to be stationed somewhere in the Middle East. I want to get him a gift he can attach to his service rifle that makes him think of me and my gf (they are very good friends). But I have two questions, will his higher ups allow him to do a modification like adding a new pistol grip or muzzelbrake? Or is that up to the soldier himself? I was thinking of a BCM mod 3 grip with a few photos of us all in it (he has a really bad family life and his friends mean a lot to him)  or a muzzlebrake (I understand muzzlebrakes make firing quite a bit louder for the shooter though) that is engraved with something small but meaningful from my gf and I. I don't have tons of money to spend I am only a college student, if you know a muzzelbrake and engraving that can be done for ~$150 total or less that would be wonderful. Again this is my first post on a forum ever, I'm sorry I don't know a lot about the military and that this question is so long. also I need to get this to him by this summer (2016).
Thank you guys.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:09:28 PM EDT
Usually no modifications or add ons that require the weapon to be taken apart are allowed. There are exception to those rules but few and far between in conventional side.

He won't need anything prior to bootcamp and he probably won't need anything weapon related they outfit Marines pretty good these days from what I can tell.

When he graduates you could opt for several types of gifts that might be useful to a newly minted Marine;

Quality folding Knife

Watch

Multi Tool

Etc

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:09:50 PM EDT
Chances are he won't be able to modify his rifle in any way, so a muzzle brake would be a waste. He might be able to use a different pistol grip, but I'd wait for him for confirmation on that.

I suggest let him figure out what he might need and get him something he needs or wants instead of something he won't be able to use.

Also, Marines are called Marines. Army personnel are called soldiers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:11:22 PM EDT
Oh ok, thank you guys
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:35:33 PM EDT
He also won't be stationed in the ME they deploy to the ME but don't get stationed there.

I'd go with a knife or a multi tool.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:35:44 PM EDT
Watch and multi tool. Those are two things he will use the most. Of course he won't probably get to use either till he finishes boot camp and possibly not till after SOI/TBS and is at his unit. Better to start writing letters as soon as possible than give him some material gift.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:38:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2016 2:47:42 PM EDT by geekz0r]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Watch and multi tool. Those are two things he will use the most. Of course he won't probably get to use either till he finishes boot camp and possibly not till after SOI/TBS and is at his unit. Better to start writing letters as soon as possible than give him some material gift.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

When I was in the Navy I swore by my multi-tool.

I eventually got mine engraved (pre-ordered) to ensure none of my coworkers tried swiping it.  (Sadly there are scummy thieves out there.)

as thinking of a BCM mod 3 grip with a few photos of us all in it

I don't know much about Marine weapons personally.  In the Navy I never had "my own" and only got to use whatever the armory issued me for the duration of my watch.  As others have said though, personal modifications might not go over well.

Instead of a grip with photos, perhaps a nice frame with photos of those same friends?  You might want to wait for him to have a permanent duty station and a stable place to put it. (open bay barracks would not do well for it I suspect).  Or a personalized coffee mug - like one from Shutterfly.  (that way if it gets broken you can always have another one made, too)
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2016 2:45:23 PM EDT by Wreckshooter]
As others have said; nope, nothing for his weapon. Multi tool or a knife like a KBar.

Does he know his MOS yet? If he doesn't then he needs to come on this forum and get talked out of going in Open Contract. And I am not kidding.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:47:58 PM EDT
I got my son an engraved K-Bar with his platoon and graduation info on it. He loved it!  The engraving shop on Parris Island or San Diego will have them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 3:03:28 PM EDT
Don't get him anything.

The absolute best thing you can do is get his recruit mailing address and write him at least once a week, just a nice letter - no gifts, and keep that communication going. It will be basically the only outside contact available and help him through the stress of training. I'm assuming the Corps hasn't gone soft like the Army or Air Force and allow Internet or phone privileges these days.

SF
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:17:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GetDown_M4A3:
Don't get him anything.

The absolute best thing you can do is get his recruit mailing address and write him at least once a week, just a nice letter - no gifts, and keep that communication going. It will be basically the only outside contact available and help him through the stress of training. I'm assuming the Corps hasn't gone soft like the Army or Air Force and allow Internet or phone privileges these days.

SF
View Quote

this. he might not even make it, so wait. also, if he deploys they'll give him multi-tools. I ended up with 3.
the engraved KaBar is always nice, but I wouldn't want anything with boot camp info on it.

When I was in Iraq, all I wanted was baby wipes and beef jerky. I had so many knives and multi-tools that
those sort of lost any special meaning. I do have a few nice engraved knives though that are special to me
because they have personal meaning. "to Bob from Jerry and Marge" would mean more to me than my boot camp
battalion number or something. I do have a cool "Iraq / US ARMY" special edition KABar, but I bought that in the PX over there. . .

hope this helps.
Top Top