Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 10:08:42 PM EDT
Anyone use one of these bad boys? I assume its like a classier type of trailer right? That way I blend into the rest of my state

http://www.kodiaksteelhomes.com/series/12
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I rented an A-frame cabin when my wife died. The angle of the roof makes for a ton of wasted space. Think about your kitchen base cabinets and how far out from the wall they are. No thanks, not for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the A frame is specifically for heavy snow load areas. Otherwise, looks like typical steel buildings. Yes, a step up from a trailer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't even use fram oil filters so there is no way I'd ever use a fram building!!!!

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the A frame is specifically for heavy snow load areas. Otherwise, looks like typical steel buildings. Yes, a step up from a trailer.
View Quote

Yep.

Another idea if you NEED an A-frame is to have a standard first story A-Frame upper floors. But modern construction is pretty good if you are up to code in the area.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasted space.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking at a ton of these "cabin kits".  If you're not looking to live in it full time, it's pretty difficult to turn down a 14X60 single wide trailer.  That's likely what I'm going to end up with at my compound.  I'm only there about a weekend a month.  For less than 20K, you have electricity, plumbing, the works.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Drove by one here today in Northeast GA, couldn't believe it...
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the consensus on these types of buildings in general?  Something on the op's original link but a more traditional floor plan?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know why, I've always wanted one. the lay out shows a normal first floor with a standard a frame "loft" I've always loved to the lofts lol
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
You must have directed too much traffic to their webpage with this post. The site has crashed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Ugly as hell and as other have stated wasted space.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone use one of these bad boys? I assume its like a classier type of trailer right? That way I blend into the rest of my state

Made it hot but I think the server is down
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know why, I've always wanted one. the lay out shows a normal first floor with a standard a frame "loft" I've always loved to the lofts lol
View Quote

Same here.  I think they look kinda neat.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's the consensus on these types of buildings in general?  Something on the op's original link but a more traditional floor plan?
View Quote

They are not bad for alpine vacation cabins. At most, you want to be in one for two weeks. The roof lasts forever and in most forested locations you get more moss issues than snow load issues. Where there is a lot of snow, runoff can be a problem. You can see a lot of messed up foundations. This is because people don't know how to build into the mountain and they didn't think off runoff.

Within the narrow limits of their purpose, A frames are quite good.

ETA
I am assuming we are talking about the traditional 1960-1970's a frames. Not the modern house with a high pitched roof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top