Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 2:06:39 PM EDT
Don't know if any of you have tried this but I just shot a field archery shoot today.  I shoot bows of all kinds,recurves and traditional bows mostly, but I shoot a compound indoors at 20 yards. Not very far but I can hit the picture on a dollar bill 5 for 5. Anyway field archery is different in where you shoot at marked yardages from <10yds out to 80yds. It is quite a challenge to hit a 12" bull at 80 yards with only an arrow and pin sight let alone do it four times.  I don't think I did very bad at it, shot a 483 out of 560. First time at it.  Just mentioning this because I like to have a challenge. Guess that's why I shoot bolt guns at 400-1000 yds and also CMP.  Benchrest intrigues me also..........Man, too many hobbies work is getting in the way!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to shoot field archery, but we had a different course of fire - the distances were not marked, and discussing the distance to the target was explicitly against the rules and enforced.

Needless to say, lots of trees died.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Pin sights?!?!?!?  Man, that ain't archery.  And distance markers?  LOL.  (just teasing you a bit)

When I was 10-12 my dad and I used to go to the coolest field archery course in the middle of Houston (near Memorial Park and the arboretum).  It was free!  They had huge hay targets.  If I'm not mistaken, they at one point put distance markers out but I'm not sure.

Anyway, it was in the woods and lots of up and downhill shooting.  We didn't have the fancy equipment or anything...just recurves and long-bows.  I did get a compound at one point, but there weren't any pin sights on it...just the arrow.

Back then we actually used 3-fingered leathers and not the now-common leather patch (I don't know what it's called).

Those were the days.

Glad you had fun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Acually most of the time I shoot recurves and longbows.  I enjoy 3-d archery. I too have found myself going back to the more traditional ways..

maybe that's why I want a SP1..luv those triangular handguards!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top