Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 7:59:13 PM EDT
I posted over in the HTF but think I'll get more response from GD...

Work is going to take me to Helena and I'll have an entire day off and have a rental car lined up. I'm a Utah resident and have flown into all of the major cities in the state, but never really been anywhere but the hotels near the airports.

I'm thinking a 300 mile or so road trip might allow me to see some of the state. If you were in Helena which way would you go?

UPDATE:  Wound up driving from Helena up to Seeley Lake which is about 80-100 miles to the northwest, back down towards Missoula, than back to the southeast to Butte, then back to Helena.  330 miles or so in all.  
Some pics of a little lake to the north of Seeley Lake.,
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would take that rental and drive it over Going to the Sun Road.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I did when I was in Montana................beautiful scenery, and an excellent gun show along the road to the Western part of the state called The Fort, along with dinner in St. Mary's

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would take that rental and drive it over Going to the Sun Road.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a 470 mile trip from Helena.  I driven a lot farther in one day.  Might just have to get up real early and hit the road at daybreak.

I did take a trip to Glacier with my parents around 1980 but don't remember a thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Head to Darby on your way to Glacier.....have lunch/dinner at a lilttel place in Darby call "Montana Diner".....you will thank me.

Best fucking meatloaf in the USA.......seriously.

Everything they have is homemade.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
aren't speeding tickets payable on the side of the road in MT?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Elkhorn and Comet Ghost Towns.  Both only 20 minutes or so from Helena.  

Outside of that, are you interested in the National Parks?  Have you been to any of them?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sure this was the last weekend to drive up the Going to the Sun road but I could be wrong.  It's all weather dependent seeming as how it was snowing up there a couple weeks ago but this past weekend it was gorgeous and in the 70s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
aren't speeding tickets payable on the side of the road in MT?
View Quote

Yes, and open containers are not a moving violation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Due south, down the Gallatin River valley and back the Madison river valley, or vice versa.

BTDT from Helena.  Nice drive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure your rental is a Subaru, Moose Drool and Pigs Ass porter are good beers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Head South thru BZN, Livingston and down to Paradise Valley, stop in at Chico Hot Springs and have the lamb. Just make sure it's in daylight so you can see the sights.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I took 90 through the state some years ago... as long as you stay on the paved roads, you can go any direction and soak it all in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Make sure your rental is a Subaru, Moose Drool and Pigs Ass porter are good beers.
View Quote

Moose Drool is damn good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not closed for the season due to weather but it appears the section between Logan Pass and St. Marys Lake closed today for maintenance.

http://www.wfl.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/mt/gtsr/
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
If time allows head down to the big ass hole in the ground of a town of Butte and hit head frame distillery. That or go sapphire mining at Spokane bar outside Helena. Go fish the Missouri River.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
       i think glacier may be closed, so that's a shame. near helena, make sure to go see the gates of the mountains.  it may sound kinda touristy, but if you can mentally blot out the other stuff, the scenery is overwhelming.

an hour south on I-15, butte is worth it just to see the copper mine.  south of that is gold mining country--a lot of harvard university was built with alder gulch gold. a really nice afternoon drive is I15 south to loop 278, then around the west side of beaverhead nat'l forest, arriving back at 15 just south of dillon (along the beaverhead river).

edit: should have read further.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#17]
All good ideas, especially the Moose Drool.  I'll save that for the night back in Helena though.  

I'm getting in Wednesday evening, with Thursday off.  Temps are suppose to be in the 80s with good weather.  I've seen a lot of the state from the air, but it's usually at 25,000'+.

Whatever I do, I'll have to post the pics up this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Earlier this month my brother rented a Harley in Billings for a week to visit his friend in Helena. Rode all over the place by himself.
Trip of a lifetime it looked like.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Not sure how far it is from helena, but Virginia City and Nevada City were pretty cool when  I rode through.  Rent an SUV and there were some really cool mining trails nearby going through the woods to an awesome creek and great views in the area.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Marysville steak house.

Period.

ETA: http://www.marysvillemontana.com/menu.html

Best steak from a restaurant in Montana.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Update
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice pics. I could definitely see myself retiring into a little loghouse out that way
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Head to Darby on your way to Glacier.....have lunch/dinner at a lilttel place in Darby call "Montana Diner".....you will thank me.

View Quote

Small world. I drive by it every day. You're dead on about the meatloaf, too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://rdc.rdcimage.com/partner-images/230227/micrositeimage_photo3.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can't go wrong with a burger at Naps either.

My favorite spot in the state however is the Oasis in Manhattan.  The finger steaks are delicious.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My favorite spot in the state however is the Oasis in Manhattan.  The finger steaks are delicious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naps. How could I forget that! A man truly hasn't lived until he's had a burger there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice pics. I could definitely see myself retiring into a little loghouse out that way
View Quote

I've thought about that myself.  I've been looking at real estate listings online for a long time.  Frankly though I wasn't too impressed with most of what I saw.  Not to say that it was bad, but just not what I'm looking for.  I've been through parts of northern Idaho and I like it better.  I still need to see the area west of Missoula and up to Kalispell and surrounding area.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#27]
God's country. Beautiful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top