Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 6:40:44 AM EDT
A girl I work with who knows I shoot just brought me in several ziploc freezer bags full of 9mm ammo. She said it belonged to her grandfather, who was a WWII vet. It all appears to be WWII era, 1940-1943, some Italian and several varieties of German. About half of it is loaded on old stripper clips.

Should I shoot it?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That stuff is worth a lot of money. Do not shot it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot it but it is probably much hotter than modern 9mm and it is almost certainly corrosive primed so clean your bore with dish soap and boiling water.

It is worth very little as collectible ammo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never heard that except if it was in pristine condition in the box or had some kind of special stamp.  It's almost certainly corrosive.  I'd find a blowback carbine and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I would save a bit for nostalgia, make some sort of display with it and say fuckit and find someone with a nice WW2 replica SMG would hate to fire it through a real WWII gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably subgun ammo, pretty hot stuff and corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
NEEDS POLL

shoot it
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

guess again
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Pics of the headstamps.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shoot it but it is probably much hotter than modern 9mm and it is almost certainly corrosive primed so clean your bore with dish soap and boiling water.

View Quote

If it is German pistol ammo, it should actually be rather weaker than modern 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It's most likely spoiled by now, send it to me for disposal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If it is German pistol ammo, it should actually be rather weaker than modern 9mm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah this.  Unless it's 70s or 80s Hirtenberger it should be cool.  I'd still shoot it in a blowback carbine with a big block in case of some case sep or some other Kb.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Post pics. Would like to see.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...but if it's MP40 ammo it could glock up your gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I shoot WWII vintage .45 all the time.  Got a bunch of old spam cans of it.  Give the gun a good hot soap and water bath afterwards with some bore brush action to make sure it's all clean.  Rinse with REALLY HOT water, shake, dry and lube.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well in that case, send it to me---the UZI needs hot ammo to run well, or at least it ain't worth much with 115 practice ammo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pics of the headstamps.  
View Quote

This, please.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I shot a bunch of black tip 9mm subgun ammo through dad's Browning Hipower bring back. Stuff is really hot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Has some WW II German ammo about ten years ago and shot some of it.  Loads were mild but a lot of misfires and hangfires.  I also have some WWII Winchester 9mm sub machine guns ammo. That stuff is clean and in great condition and looks like it's only a couple of years old.  It functions 100% but is HOT!

Most WW-II stuff including ammo is rapidly going up in price so I'd hang onto it. It may not be worth much but it's good trading material to a WW Ii collector.  There are lots of Luger and P-38 collectors and I'm sure that they'd love to have some to display with their guns.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Post pics. Would like to see.
View Quote

No crap. People hate rules.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While that may be true, my personal experience lies with the approximately 8000 rounds of WWII era 9mm surplus that I have.  It is sorted into 3 different head stamps, (all German), and it all averages 80 to 135 fps faster than modern ammo out of my 635.  It is very stiff when shot from a Hi-Power.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Also, good chance it is on the ATF AP pistol ammo list.

List of Armor Piercing Ammunition

bullet GERMAN manufactured 9mm Parabellum (Luger) having an iron or steel bullet core. (Original packaging is marked     Pisolenpatronen 08 m.E. May have black colored bullet. This bullet is attracted to a magnet)

link to archive server
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A girl I work with who knows I shoot just brought me in several ziploc freezer bags full of 9mm ammo. She said it belonged to her grandfather, who was a WWII vet. It all appears to be WWII era, 1940-1943, some Italian and several varieties of German. About half of it is loaded on old stripper clips.

Should I shoot it?
View Quote

Isn't free ammo awesome?! My FIL just gave me 500 rds of nato 5.56 and 308 for recovering some pictures off of his hard drive. I shot the shit out of it and had no idea how old it was. Cleaned my gun well after though. Also, in these situations you wanna make sure it is actually all 9mm. I had a .38 spl thrown in my goodie bag. While I would not have mistaken it for 308 or 5.56, if you have something identical to 9mm in there, you may over look it and go kaboom. Sort before shooting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

bullet GERMAN manufactured 9mm Parabellum (Luger) having an iron or steel bullet core. (Original packaging is marked     Pisolenpatronen 08 m.E. May have black colored bullet. This bullet is attracted to a magnet)

link to archive server
View Quote

Cool story bro
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Should I shoot it?
View Quote

GD is slow today.  Pics of girl.  

Bringing you bags full of ammo?  She obviously wants you, dude.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Put it in your butt - See what happens?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#27]
In for pics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should I shoot it?

Pics required;

Ammo bags
Headstamp
Girl

All are required.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should I shoot it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

link to archive server
View Quote

Anyone know anything else about this black German AP ammo?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top