Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/7/2012 5:14:16 PM EST
I come from a very military family. I couldn't serve for more than 7 years because I got Ulcerative Colitis when I was a senior in high school. Had the large intestine removed a couple years ago and am gtg now. No restrictive diet, no meds, no unreasonable accomodations. I have talked to recruiters and was told that having had UC, I am an instant denial but that I could possibily get an exemption. This is because UC often comes in and out of remission; however, I no longer have a large intestive so this is not a possibility.
For the first time in my life I am in a state and of age that I can serve in a strong capacity and I will need to be flat out refused to rid me of wanting to serve.
My father is very good friends with a Brig Gen who is pretty high up with the ANG. He says, with an understanding of my current state, that I would be gtg and could pass any physical.

I am already "serving my country" but I still feel that what I do will not fulfill what I accept to be my part.

Have a BA Economics, MBA Business Administration, clearance, clean record, and no tattoos (that apparently matters these days ) 27 years old

1. What time frames of committment are offered?

2. How does serving in the ANG/NG conflict with work? I know that they have to accommodate your service, but any personal stories about conflict or ease would be appreciated.

3. Is entering at age 27, with no prior mil experience affect anything? Can anyone relate to joining later in life?

Every family member and friend did .mil full time, even with the ANG. So I would appreciate just general insight into the life.

Thanks guys, and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:09:17 AM EST
I joined the Air Force at 26 and turned 27 during tech school. During training no matter how old you are you're still a trainee. Prior experience and whoever you were on civvy street doesn't matter. Just go with the flow.

When I got to my first base thats when my age was sort of an issue. No one had really ever seen a 27 year old A1C before. My leadership liked me because I was a grown man and my coworkers were wary at first because they thought I had been busted down in rank or was an undercover OSI agent. One mental giant asked me had I failed in civilian life and thats why I joined up. It shows how set people are in their views when you deal with people sometime. Alot of people just couldn't understand why I wanted to go to school, get some work experience under my belt and enjoy life before signing my life away for a few years.

Now if you're joining the Air Guard strictly as a traditional member drill weekend can present some challenges. Do you like the notion of working all week then doing drill and then back at it again next Monday for another week? Would you like having to try to coordinate your time away with your boss all the time? Then once thats all done are you willing to come to drill and pretty much do appointments, sit in briefings, stand in line, and pretty much stand around and do nothing? Every drill I've had to do was a waste of time. Theres only so much you can get done at drill and most of its administrative items. My unit is broke as a joke so its all computer based training, some guy reading power point slides, listening to my commander and the chief drone on about stupid shit and then pick up trash around the squadron area. At least when I was on active duty we got shit done on training days.

Pretty much everyone I know in my unit only joined for the college money, for the medical benefits, or with the hope of getting a fulltime job in our unit or another. It doesn't seem many joined for anything else and it shows. Alot of guys just do their first enlistment and then realize how much they don't like it and ETS. In 2010 my unit lost nearly 25 people because they thought their time could be better utilized elswhere.

That said, due to your previous condition, good luck, we are going into one of the biggest drawdowns our military has ever seen, I'm not sure how willing they would be to sign a waiver for you when there are alot of other warm bodies out there with their guts intact. If you're willing to roll the dice on this and try and make it through, I'm sure you'd be an asset to your unit because alot of other people who had your condition would bitch out. Keep us posted. If theres anythung else you want to know IM me. Cheers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:05:54 AM EST
the first time i joined the texas army national guard i was 17 and still in high school. i went to basic the summer before my senior year. i finished that and eventually got a med disch with a possibility to re enlist with a waiver. fast forward 10 years and about 4 times over the years of getting treated like shit by recruiters because they didnt want to put up with the bullshit i came across a bad ass recruiter and was able to get back in. its been a rough re start with them making me go back to basic training. but once i got past that ive loved every minute of it.

to answer your question most employers wont give you a hard time about it. i dont work weekends so im never worried about that. but when i went on active duty they worked with me and it was very easy. not very hard at all. i reenlisted at about 28 so i was a late comer as well (kind of being that i was already in). youll be fine joining. the time commitment is MOS depending i think. or recruiter depending. lol most will try and stick you in for the longest time with no bonus if they can/you let them. i chose to enlist for 6 years. dont worry about no experience. thats what basic and ait is for. basic will teach you what you need to learn about the army and basic movements and CLS/BRM stuff like that. ait is where you will learn your job. so dont worry about no experience. even if you had experience you sitll have to go through the same training. haha. if you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me. i have lots and lots of experience in what youre going through or will go through. ill be happy to help.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:44:11 PM EST
sad to say, you will never see Military service with your condition. High up generals in the ANG dont give waivers. NGB does and your condition is non waiverable. Sorry but that is a fact. Anybody that tells you different has no clue or just feels like fucking with you.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:54:38 PM EST
They may have done a waiver back in '06, but with the drawdown, sorry to say very inlikely. Hell , yhey're finally booting the fatbodies.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:16:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
sad to say, you will never see Military service with your condition. High up generals in the ANG dont give waivers. NGB does and your condition is non waiverable. Sorry but that is a fact. Anybody that tells you different has no clue or just feels like fucking with you.

Good luck

I would rather be told that it is definitely out of my control than to think that I could have. Still grinds my gears when I am asked if I was/am military and I have to explain why not.

Currently work in law enforcement and am also pursuing the officer route. I just see the military as serving your country on an entirely different level (no offense to our first responders), and that being the way that I have always wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:35:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:
I come from a very military family. I couldn't serve for more than 7 years because I got Ulcerative Colitis when I was a senior in high school. Had the large intestine removed a couple years ago and am gtg now. No restrictive diet, no meds, no unreasonable accomodations. I have talked to recruiters and was told that having had UC, I am an instant denial but that I could possibily get an exemption. This is because UC often comes in and out of remission; however, I no longer have a large intestive so this is not a possibility.
For the first time in my life I am in a state and of age that I can serve in a strong capacity and I will need to be flat out refused to rid me of wanting to serve.
My father is very good friends with a Brig Gen who is pretty high up with the ANG. He says, with an understanding of my current state, that I would be gtg and could pass any physical.

I am already "serving my country" but I still feel that what I do will not fulfill what I accept to be my part.

Have a BA Economics, MBA Business Administration, clearance, clean record, and no tattoos (that apparently matters these days ) 27 years old

1. What time frames of committment are offered?

2. How does serving in the ANG/NG conflict with work? I know that they have to accommodate your service, but any personal stories about conflict or ease would be appreciated.

3. Is entering at age 27, with no prior mil experience affect anything? Can anyone relate to joining later in life?

Every family member and friend did .mil full time, even with the ANG. So I would appreciate just general insight into the life.

Thanks guys, and thanks for your service.

I went through basic training with an immigrant from India who was only 5 foot 1 inch, had a degree from an indian university in asia that we wouldn't recognize so he could not commission, and he was 42 years old when he enlisted.

You should be fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:38:50 AM EST
I went to basic with a 35 year old former ROK Marine. Our BCT was smooth sailing for him. As far as just joining just for the college money? That was 1976, I am still in, on my 4th deployment right now. And with a career as an LEO as well. It just clicks for some people more than others, some do 4 and get out, some of us stay till they chase us away!
Top Top