Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 11:10:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 6:37:27 PM EDT by red65]
There are a few things that I find irritating.

I present them for your reading pleasure...

1. Guys who claim that they can shoot a deer at 300, 500, 800+ yards. Gimme a break. You're going to shoot at a speck on the horizon. Good idea. I'd love to take a paper plate, pace off some random distance and see how many of these guys can hit it.

2. People who claim the 223 is a deer cartridge. If I kill a moose with a bb gun then I guess a bb is a swell moose cartridge.

3. The trend towards magnum cartridges. The 30-06 recoil level is about the most that the average man can be taught to shoot well. I've been to many ranges, and I am a mediocre shot. Yet, I'm often the best shot at a range on a given day. So where are all these excellent long range shooters who can really use a 300 win mag or bigger? They must be hiding from me.

4. Liberals. I fucking hate them. I so sick of the way our society is becoming more and more liberal. Some lawyers wrote a article stating that you can now use VIRTUALLY ANY excuse as a defense in a criminal case. They were pleased and proud of this. Dont be too shocked when some woman shoots you and then uses "feminine rage" as a defense.

5. Gossipy co-workers. Man, are people a bunch of c-nts. I carry a small pocket knife. Some asshole at work saw this and started a rumor that I have a huge collection of knives, swords and axes at my house. People just cant go about thier business and shut the fuck up.

6. Snotty family members. Man is my brother in law a tool sometimes. Cant punch him in the head, though.

7. Those huge handguns. Nobody can sell a gun anymore unless they play the numbers game. The 454 casull was the last huge handgun that was reasonable. At least it's just a magnum 45 colt in a regular sized single action frame. The latest batch of mega handguns are an absolute joke. Go to the gun shop and heft one of those 500 S&Ws. It's grotesque looking. Eventually I guess they'll make a 50 BMG pistol. or use a 20 mm cannon shell.

8. Giant scopes. Why do people buy a 20x scope with a 80mm bell and stick it on a remington model 7 or worse yet, stick it on a lever action 30-30? Match the scope to the gun! Plus, shove the effer forward. The lens is not supposed to be touching your eyeball.

Well, go to go to the gym before it closes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:15:10 AM EDT
I'm was with you until the 223/deer jab. Hitting a moose with a BB hardly seems synonymous with hitting a deer with a rather potent rifle round. Plenty of folks have taken deer humanely with a .223.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:16:54 AM EDT

Here we go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:21:03 AM EDT
btw....

If ya can't hit a paper plate sized target at 300m with a long arm, you better stick to CQB stuff
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:21:26 AM EDT
I hate guys that brag about going to the gym
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:22:38 AM EDT
One of my pet peeves that I just thought of is the advertisements for those giant smilies.

I HATE them! They are tacky, crappy and showy. Smilies should be simple and funny, not big, 3d, fancily-colored and detailed. I HATE those kinds of smilies like the devil!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:25:19 AM EDT

red65

My pet peeves wimps like you
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:28:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By red65:
7. Those huge handguns. Nobody can sell a gun anymore unless they play the numbers game. The 454 casull was the last huge handgun that was reasonable. At least it's just a magnum 45 colt in a regular sized single action frame. The latest batch of mega handguns are an absolute joke. Go to the gun shop and heft one of those 500 S&Ws. It's grotesque looking. Eventually I guess they'll make a 50 BMG pistol. or use a 20 mm cannon shell.

Yeah, but you'll think twice before you pick on the guy that buys one.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:29:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
I hate guys that brag about going to the gym

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:30:27 AM EDT
My pet peeve is people who steel a $200.00 grocery basket to roll one bag of food worth $15.00 down the street.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:44:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:
btw....

If ya can't hit a paper plate sized target at 300m with a long arm, you better stick to CQB stuff

Scope or irons?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:49:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By crazyquik:

btw....

Scope or irons?

Either. If ya can't hit it with irons, ya probably shouldn't be shooting at it.

That said, I love my EOTech

Hell, I could hit 300 meter targets in basic, when I never shot before in my life.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:58:24 PM EDT

btw....

Why can't people understand that a deer at some unknown, random distance is not the same as popping 100 rounds at a bullseye at a rifle range.

Yeah, I can hit a paper plate at 300 meters at the range. Anybody can.

How about if we go out to some rolling terrain and I put up a paper plate at an unknown distance, say 427 m away. How many guys are going to hit it on the first shot?

Ross Seigfried said you should always sight your gun in for 200 yards and always have some hair under the crosshairs. Sounds like good advice to me.

What percentage of the guys who buy the latest wonder magnum cartridge, which kicks like hell, can even shoot it at the range?

What percentage of hunter could pass the "random distance paper plate test".

Maybe 2%. Most guys can't even hit at the range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:02:52 PM EDT
Whining cause you suck? I think sooooooo. If you can't handle the kick of a .300 win mag you need to learn to shoot. If your worried about recoil while shooting then you have poor fundamentals and don't need to be around any gun INCLUDING a moose killing bb gun. I'm sorry you can't shoot. Stop whining and insulting others to compensate for your lack of size, and skill.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:06:23 PM EDT

btw....

Why can't people understand that a deer at some unknown, random distance is not the same as popping 100 rounds at a bullseye at a rifle range.

How about if we go out to some rolling terrain and I put up a paper plate at an unknown distance, say 427 m away. How many guys are going to hit it on the first shot?

Ross Seigfried said you should always sight your gun in for 200 yards and always have some hair under the crosshairs. Sounds like good advice to me.

What percentage of the guys who buy the latest wonder magnum cartridge, which kicks like hell, can even shoot it at the range?

I used to have a neighbor back home who bought the 7mm Ultra Mag when it first came out. He was bragging about the 2" 50 yard groupings he would get. My .270 at 50 yards would put 4 shots into the same hole.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:10:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:12:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
I'm was with you until the 223/deer jab. Hitting a moose with a BB hardly seems synonymous with hitting a deer with a rather potent rifle round. Plenty of folks have taken deer humanely with a .223.

Well said! I concur!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:12:28 PM EDT
Wahbulance pic in 5...4...3....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:23:09 PM EDT
Since you asked........

<­BR>

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:31:22 PM EDT

<<bunch of whining, bitchin, && PMSing deleted >>

Eventually I guess they'll make a 50 BMG pistol.

too late about the .50BMG pistol, that's already been done.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:35:19 PM EDT
He does have a few valid complaints, the 500 is the most ungainly, heavy, rediculous revolver I have seen made in the last 10 years. The few I have seen shot were by people who probably should have stopped at a .44 mag. After 1/2 a cylinder most wer'nt even on the paper because of flinching. I shoot a SRH in .454 and don't see any reason why I would need anything more, heck, I don't need full power loads for deer anyways. If I carried more weight in a handgun I'd just go to a rifle anyways.

As far as shooting at deer 300 or 500 yards away? Well I find WAY to many deer dead after season because people think they can shoot further then they should. We are talking about a clean humane shoot here, not winging an animal only to let it die hours or days later. I'd bet most hunters should keep their distances under 100 unless they actually PRACTICE shooting, not just pop a few off at the range each year to see if their zero is OK.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:37:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wganz:

<<bunch of whining, bitchin, && PMSing deleted >>

Eventually I guess they'll make a 50 BMG pistol.

too late about the .50BMG pistol, that's already been done.

wganz

Not to mention a .600 NE revolver!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:46:48 PM EDT

btw....

I think hunting, from the way most people do it is a pretty retarded activity. I just dont' care for it.

From a my purely survivalist side, I think tracking and, bagging a critter without baiting or somthing would be good for strictly survival proficency, but, I suppse that's for another thread.

That said, I can't believe it would be that hard to shoot a deer at 300 meters. I can nail pop-ups at that distance any time, and, they are smaller.

I completely understand what you meant about the deer thing, but, you're the one that brought up the paper plate deal. I simply replied to it. Same plate, without magnifying optics at 427 I'd have a hard time with.

Don't most people that shoot at that distance use magnification?

Plus, why are your panties in a wad over it? In any passtime there are going to be people that claim to be great at it that aren't. So what?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:54:33 PM EDT
Well Sure .....

Can't everyone castrate a gnat with a .22 at 600 yds
on a foggy day at dusk ?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:56:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
He does have a few valid complaints, the 500 is the most ungainly, heavy, rediculous revolver I have seen made in the last 10 years. The few I have seen shot were by people who probably should have stopped at a .44 mag. After 1/2 a cylinder most wer'nt even on the paper because of flinching. I shoot a SRH in .454 and don't see any reason why I would need anything more, heck, I don't need full power loads for deer anyways. If I carried more weight in a handgun I'd just go to a rifle anyways.

As far as shooting at deer 300 or 500 yards away? Well I find WAY to many deer dead after season because people think they can shoot further then they should. We are talking about a clean humane shoot here, not winging an animal only to let it die hours or days later. I'd bet most hunters should keep their distances under 100 unless they actually PRACTICE shooting, not just pop a few off at the range each year to see if their zero is OK.

Most people that have ungainly revolvers probably have a pet peeve about people complaining about them and thier revolvers.

Some people at my local range have a problem with my AR.

Why do I need it?
Why would I want it?
etc, et al.

Why should I have to justify it to those numbskulls? WTF is wrong with people having big ugly useless guns? If they want to get 'em, get 'em. Hell, put a bayonette lug on that Cassul

As far as deer and humane killing goes, I guess I just fail to see it. If the deer aren't in an overpopulation situation, I think going out and killing them probably doesn't rank high on the deer's opinion of "humane".

Don't friggin' go left on me, I'm not saying hunting is bad, I'm just kinda not understanding some stuff about it is all.

Heck, I saw a bowhunter on Ted Nuggent's Outdoors shoot some kinda deer with a bow. The critter took off and, they tracked him for what seemed like is must've taken some time and, found it dead.

Ted didn't have any issue with it, and, he's one of those "code of the hunter" types.

I'd say if you can hit the thing, shoot it. Never know when it might boil down to you being able to hit somthing at range, and, track it down and, eat it.

I don't mean to bang on ya or anything. I just find the whole hunting thing kinda confusing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:08:42 PM EDT

Most people that have ungainly revolvers probably have a pet peeve about people complaining about them and thier revolvers.

Some people at my local range have a problem with my AR.

Why do I need it?
Why would I want it?
etc, et al.

Why should I have to justify it to those numbskulls? WTF is wrong with people having big ugly useless guns? If they want to get 'em, get 'em. Hell, put a bayonette lug on that Cassul

As far as deer and humane killing goes, I guess I just fail to see it. If the deer aren't in an overpopulation situation, I think going out and killing them probably doesn't rank high on the deer's opinion of "humane".

Don't friggin' go left on me, I'm not saying hunting is bad, I'm just kinda not understanding some stuff about it is all.

Heck, I saw a bowhunter on Ted Nuggent's Outdoors shoot some kinda deer with a bow. The critter took off and, they tracked him for what seemed like is must've taken some time and, found it dead.

Ted didn't have any issue with it, and, he's one of those "code of the hunter" types.

I'd say if you can hit the thing, shoot it. Never know when it might boil down to you being able to hit somthing at range, and, track it down and, eat it.

I don't mean to bang on ya or anything. I just find the whole hunting thing kinda confusing.

It's like a fly, if I kill one by pulling off the wings one by one, then the legs, I'd probably be called a sick SOB. If I swatted it, most people would say "damn, glad you finally got the SOB. Very few bow shots kill immediatly, the animal dies from blood loss, not trauma and energy dump, an arrow has less impact force then a .22 does but can be very deadly because of the cut size. Just as a knife wound to the chest does not usually kill in a few seconds, the blood loss can be fatal given the time to bleed out.
Hey if ya don't hunt, you don't hunt, no problem with that. BTW my area IS overpopulated with deer and I take the does, not the bucks to thin the breeding segment. Besides, they taste better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:14:33 PM EDT

5. Gossipy co-workers. Man, are people a bunch of c-nts. I carry a small pocket knife. Some asshole at work saw this and started a rumor that I have a huge collection of knives, swords and axes at my house. People just cant go about thier business and shut the fuck up.

Well... do you? Sounds like you might be a little angry because he guessed correctly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:15:26 PM EDT

.Besides, they taste better.

THAT I understand
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:28:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Whining cause you suck? I think sooooooo. If you can't handle the kick of a .300 win mag you need to learn to shoot. If your worried about recoil while shooting then you have poor fundamentals and don't need to be around any gun INCLUDING a moose killing bb gun. I'm sorry you can't shoot. Stop whining and insulting others to compensate for your lack of size, and skill.

See, the thing is, I'm talking about reality, not fantasy.

A full size remington 700 in 30-06 is a nice balance of size, weight and power. The problem for the gun companies is that a rifle like that will last a lifetime.

They need something NEW that will get the average goober all excited. So they make a "new" cartridge and a "new" rifle to create some buzz in the gun rags. They say, "our new 300 shorty mag generates 10,000 ft lbs of power and we stick it in a 5 pound mini rifle.

Then the goober, who shoots a total of ten shots a year, gets all excited and buys the new wonder rifle and puts a giant scope on top.

I go to the range all the time. I see how well the average shooter scores. The average hunter is a poor marksman. I have seen this. So why does the average hunter have a magnum? Because the marketing guys convince him it's "better".

You want to pretend that killing deer takes a 1000 yard rifle, be my guest. For 99.9999% of the hunters out there it's a fantasy and a bunch of hot air. I'm going to stick with my 30-06.

As for revolvers,

See if you can understand. Sticking a 30,000 horsepower jet engine in a car would not make for a good car. It would be an undrivable piece of crap.

Similarly, a 13 pound wad of steel that shoots a 50 BMG is not a revolver. It's a joke and it's also nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Engineers did not dream up the 500 S&W, marketing guys did. IT'S DUMB. It's so dumb that it's embarrassing. Talk about compensating for a tiny nutsack.

You know why the average guy is impressed with muzzle velocity numbers in the gun mags? BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:29:59 PM EDT

1. Guys who claim that they can shoot a deer at 300, 500, 800+ yards. Gimme a break. You're going to shoot at a speck on the horizon. Good idea. I'd love to take a paper plate, pace off some random distance and see how many of these guys can hit it.

2. People who claim the 223 is a deer cartridge. If I kill a moose with a bb gun then I guess a bb is a swell moose cartridge.

3. The trend towards magnum cartridges. The 30-06 recoil level is about the most that the average man can be taught to shoot well. I've been to many ranges, and I am a mediocre shot. Yet, I'm often the best shot at a range on a given day. So where are all these excellent long range shooters who can really use a 300 win mag or bigger? They must be hiding from me.

4. Liberals. I fucking hate them. I so sick of the way our society is becoming more and more liberal. Some lawyers wrote a article stating that you can now use VIRTUALLY ANY excuse as a defense in a criminal case. They were pleased and proud of this. Dont be too shocked when some woman shoots you and then uses "feminine rage" as a defense.

6. Snotty family members. Man is my brother in law a tool sometimes. Cant punch him in the head, though.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:43:02 PM EDT

8. Giant scopes. Why do people buy a 20x scope with a 80mm bell and stick it on a remington model 7 or worse yet, stick it on a lever action 30-30? Match the scope to the gun! Plus, shove the effer forward. The lens is not supposed to be touching your eyeball.

I work with 8 women for 12 hours a night and I don't hear that much silly, petty bitching.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:20:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:
I work with 8 women for 12 hours a night and I don't hear that much silly, petty bitching.

That there is some funny shit!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:42:16 PM EDT
To bad I'm to late to get in on the " your a whiny bitch" part of this thread.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:12:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
To bad I'm to late to get in on the " your a whiny bitch" part of this thread.

I wish you had got in on it too. then you could show off what a douchebag you are like the other guys.

It would have been AWESOME!! Woooo!!! Too BAD!!

That's why they're called "pet peeves". Because it's just a casual list of petty gripes. Presented for the fuck of it.

Two guys came up with a considered opinion.

20 other assholes chimed with little faggotty kindergarted insults. That's the internet for you.

PROUD OF YA, SPORT!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:24:03 PM EDT
I have killed over 100 deer with a .223.......don't knock it until you have tried it.

What do you base your assumption on that it is underpowered?
Have you shot a deer with one and recovered and inspected the damage wrought?

If you had done these things we would not be having this discussion!

I carry a range finder with me, on the rare occasions that I rifle hunt, and have made kills on running animals at over 300 yards(dropped them in their tracks). I will take my SIG 25.06 and put it up agaist anything you can bring. Don't judge everyone by your shortcomings.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 10:28:37 PM EDT by cmoth]
I agree with some of your peeves, I have a few gossipy brass kissing shits at my department too that would do nicely holding up your paper plates for the "tests". However, they aren't smart enough to realise they are being manipulated. Sucks to be them.

I have a 300WinMag. Not because I "have to have it" but, because my Dad gave it to me along with several other rifles. The longest shot I've ever taken with it in the field against deer is 275 yards. I sight it in for 300 yards so I can hold it flat without having to concern myself with bullet drop. I am not that great of a rifle shot with anything else other than my AR. I have a stigmatism and I can't use a scope too long without my eyesight getting blurry.

I don't use a rifle for "hunting", I use it for groceries. I usually get two or three cull tags (our doe pop is out of control up here). The meat feeds my family for a long time supplemented with chicken. I will wait for a buck to walk by to get a good shot on a mature, dry doe.

When I hunt I use a bow. The "hunt" is more meaningful but the kill is more iffy.

My 300WMg stops my hunt when I pull the trigger with a good margin of error. Yes, I am compensating, but I've never lost a deer and I've never had one limp off into the distance.

ETA: My buddy hunts with a .223 (an AR15 bushy). He uses Barnes X-Bullets. Hasn't had one walk away. He also uses a .375HH and uses solids. Makes the same wounds channels as a 50cal ball out of a muzzle loader. Also doesn't shoot past 250. You can eat up to the hole with no loss of meat due to explosive expansion.

Think terminal ballistics, not caliber.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:58:22 PM EDT
I hunt with a 7mm rem mag. Not to take super long shots. So that way when a deer dies, its "boom, ahh, fuck, I'm dead, splat" In about a fourth of the time it took you to read that. Average shot here in Arkansas is probably less than 150 yards. To be honest if I was to get into long range shooting. I wouldnt go .50 or 300 mag for that matter. I'd get a nice stable solid .308 But I'm wasting my breath Mr vinegar and water. Red let me let you in on a little secret. We're adults. We all have shit we don't like. I for example don't see a practical point to the aftermarket for a 10/22. Same way I don't see one for a .500 s n w. Obviously from your rant your not capable of getting this concept. FUN. Dress up your 10/22 to look like an MG-42. ITS FUN. Get a hand gun so damn big your in danger of breaking your thumbs every time you make boom boom. ITS FUN. I'm sure a lot of people think some of the shit you do (whining) is stupid or just plain don't see the point in it. Relax, pull your panties out of your ass, and have some fun. Get some tannerite, You may become a changed man. Then again you may blow yourself the fuck up reading the warning label 83 times.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:46:05 AM EDT
Pickles on a Quarter Pounder with cheese

What is w/ those warm, slimy bastards on there ?

If I had nickle for every QPw/C pickle that has been chunked out of teh window of my Jeep Wrangler.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 2:55:35 AM EDT by 22bad]

Hmmmm...........M203 Thompson\Contender pistol........I like it
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:55:51 AM EDT

He does have a few valid complaints, the 500 is the most ungainly, heavy, rediculous revolver I have seen made in the last 10 years. The few I have seen shot were by people who probably should have stopped at a .44 mag. After 1/2 a cylinder most wer'nt even on the paper because of flinching.

so you've never even fired one? when loaded, the S&W is very well balanced, and easy to handle. the recoil is suprisingly mild for such a large handgun.

one of my shooting buddies has one. when we go shooting, the girls like to shoot it... if a 115 pound, 5'7" female can handle the 500, and put all 5 shots within a few inches at 7 yards, then most men that know how to shoot should be able to do just as good if not better.
Top Top