Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 4:28:07 PM EDT
Since I am testosterone-challenged, I was hoping I could get a little advice:

First, the porch light:  The psycho ex is going to be in town for four weeks, and I can NOT afford to have the light go out.  What is the best kind of light bulb to get for maximum longevity?  Also, I have heard that a bulb burns out faster if it is turned on and off a lot.  Is this true?  I am I better off turning it out every day, or should I turn it on and leave it?

Second, the toilet:  It never HAS worked particularly well, but the bar thing that pulls the stopper up finally broke.  I replaced the handle and the flusher kit thingy, but it still won't flush all the way unless you hold the handle down until it finishes.  Is there something I can do to fix that?

Thanks for any help...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need help.

Put a new bulb in the light fixture and leave it on until the time is past.  No problem.

If the toilet isn't flushing completely, replace the flapper assembly.  It is cheap, and easy to change.  A new one will float until all water is out of the tank.

And chill out a little.  All will be well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a lot of slack in the chain that runs from the bar to the flapper?  I know mine needed the slack removed to lift the flapper to a point it wouldnt fall back down.

Try to get a florescent bulb, the kind that take a while to click on, and have a goofy bulb shape (Usually a thin tube that coils around a bit) those should last 4 weeks easily.  

If in doubt, get a back up...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Replace bulb with a fresh one before he hits town, it should be fine.

Invite psycho to go shooting and mention your new AR, intimidation may work.

Sounds like your flapper is either bad or something is hanging up in the tank.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#4]
and while you're at it, please feel free to take some more lingerie clad pictures of yourself
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
There isn't any slack in the chain, so I guess I need a new flapper assembly.  ufffff  And they are easy to put in?

I will replace the bulb - any particular brand better than another?  Do the flourescent ones work in a regular light fixture?  

LOL As for inviting him to go shooting... he e-mailed me and asked me for pics, since his computer had crashed and he lost all he had of me.   I sent him pics of my GUNS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There isn't any slack in the chain, so I guess I need a new flapper assembly.  ufffff  And they are easy to put in?

I will replace the bulb - any particular brand better than another?  Do the flourescent ones work in a regular light fixture?  

LOL As for inviting him to go shooting... he e-mailed me and asked me for pics, since his computer had crashed and he lost all he had of me.   I sent him pics of my GUNS.

Yes Ma'am........ Compact flourescent bulbs will work just fine in any standard light fixture.  (Electrician speaking) As long as it physically fits, of course.  They make em nice and small now, so you shouldn't have a problem at all.  PLUS they last up to 5-7 YEARS now, and use a lot less electricity too.

Home Depot or just about any home center type store should have a few different styles.  

And good job on sending the gun pics   hehe.......   He got no business wanting pics of you anyways, after reading some of your posts about shit he's done.  

I'd send him that pic of DK_Prof's ass and tell him to kiss it....

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The flapper valve is VERY easy to replace.  Nothing to it.  

GE bulbs last longer than the el cheapos.  

If you need a hand with anything else, LMK.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]
flourascent bulbs last a really long time, and put out the same light amount as an incandescent at less power usage, and they now make them that fit in a normal socket
I've replaced almost all of my bulbs with them. the light is a little different in hue though, which takes some slight getting used to, and I've noticed the ones in my living room take a few minutes to get to full brightness, but there isn't a large difference between first turned on and full brightness levels
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Go to a hardware store and ask for a "rough duty" bulb.  These are made for drop lights and such, very much tougher than regular bulbs.

Flourescent bulbs last a long time, but they are really slow to light up.  Not good for an emergency light.

A grand idea, if practical, is to get a halogen work light and set it up in a non-obvious place.  Get a remote-switch cord from the hardware store, and set it up so you can turn it on from inside.
It need to be outside, or pointed out a different window than you would be at, since it will really glare on the glass.  Best would be to mount it up high, under the porch roof, aiming at the eyes of someone at the door.
If something looks suspicious, blind the fool.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks so much for the help!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the new Fluorescent lights outdoors and they hold up just fine.   As long as they are bright enough for you, use em.  They last forever, and save electricity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top