Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 6:08:59 PM EST
The other night I was talking to a friend of mine and we were curious about how obamacare will work.

My friend does all of the paperwork, tax related, for a company in the area.

Lets say obamacare has been implemented and the company you work for has decided that it would be cheaper for them to just pay the fine and not offer you insurance. You can't afford private insurance because the premiums have risen so high. You've decided that you don't want to live without insurance

-How would one go about getting signed up for obamacare?

-Would it be handled through your paycheck from your job like social security or something? Will it be like a tax taken out that appears on your check?

-Would you apply through your employer or would you apply straight through the state or federal government to be signed up for obamacare?

-Would your employer be involved in the process at all?

-From what I understand emploryers have to pay a $2000.00 fine/penalty per employee for not offering insurance to them. How much of a fine/penalty does an individual have to pay if they can't afford private insurance and do not want to sign up for obamacare?

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:22:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:25:10 PM EST
I can't figure out why the onus is on employers to pay for health care at all. I can understand why a company would offer it as a benefit to retain staff, but why is it compulsory?

I don't expect them to have to pay for my child's higher education either.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:01:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By Stoop:
I can't figure out why the onus is on employers to pay for health care at all. I can understand why a company would offer it as a benefit to retain staff, but why is it compulsory?

SHUT UP! Don't give them any ideas!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:15:34 AM EST
Obama care wont work.

Only destroy the country.

Oh wait, that's the plan.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:19:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

SHUT UP! Don't give them any ideas!

Too late, Obama already put us all on the hook for college student loans just like... oh I don't know... maybe having the US gov underwrite all of those subprime mortgages a while back.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:41:39 AM EST

This. I can't quite understand how the SCOTUS declared it a tax bill, but more distressing still is the requirement that an employer provide it or pay a fine. What's next? Dental insurance?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By ricky_45:

This. I can't quite understand how the SCOTUS declared it a tax bill, but more distressing still is the requirement that an employer provide it or pay a fine. What's next? Dental insurance?

It's a tax because the government requires it to be levied on citizens and corporations as part of the tax code. The reason is that it is compulsory is that the Democrats knew if they forced employers to provide health insurance to full time employees through the enforcement arm of the IRS, most people will be too stupid to see full time work will go down and part time work go up. Not only were the Democrats right, morons in America cheered at their own wrists being slit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:31:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
http://www.healthcare.gov/law/index.html

Thanks for the link but I couldn't find any of the answers I was looking for.

Anyone here know the answers to any of my questions?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:47:56 PM EST
bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:00:35 PM EST
I believe the States will be setting up "Exchanges" where you can buy health insurance.

You would probably have to pay for it yourself, like car insurance. But that's just a guess.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:02:10 PM EST
What a mess this is going to be.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:05:15 PM EST
$695 / person fine for failing to pay for insurance.

Insurance can be purchased from the state run exchanges, but is likely to cost
a lot more than the fine. What will happen is people will take the fine until they
get sick - then go to the exchange where they cannot be turned away for pre-
existing conditions.

I was told in income tax school this year that the law specifically states that the IRS
CANNOT levy against your assets if they do not collect the O-care fine - they CAN
however take your refund.

Plenty of info here ––––->
Forbes Mag - Obamacare's Dark Secret
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:42:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By ricky_45:

I was thinking that socialized car insurance would be great. Ask anyone with teenage kids who are drivers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:15:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By makintrax73:
$695 / person fine for failing to pay for insurance.

Insurance can be purchased from the state run exchanges, but is likely to cost
a lot more than the fine. What will happen is people will take the fine until they
get sick - then go to the exchange where they cannot be turned away for pre-
existing conditions.

I was told in income tax school this year that the law specifically states that the IRS
CANNOT levy against your assets if they do not collect the O-care fine - they CAN
however take your refund.

Plenty of info here ––––->
Forbes Mag - Obamacare's Dark Secret

If I'm reading the chart in that link right, Obamacare might work out for me.

I guess it depends on how good the insurance actually is though. But cost wise, it might work out better for me if my employer drops our insurance.
Top Top