Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 9:20:11 AM EDT
ok, im a firm believer in the 2nd Ammendment.  hell, im building my own AR for self defense/targt shooting purposes.  i would like to pose this question.  does the preamble to the bill of rights specify that nothing within the bill of rights can be changed?  also, does the bill of right specify rights to only individuals?  explain?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
ok, im a firm believer in the 2nd Ammendment.  hell, im building my own AR for self defense/targt shooting purposes.  i would like to pose this question.  does the preamble to the bill of rights specify that nothing within the bill of rights can be changed?  also, does the bill of right specify rights to only individuals?  explain?

There is no preamble to the Bill of Rights. There is only one unamendable clause of the Constitution: No amendment can deprive a state of equal suffrage in the Senate.

All of the rights in the Bill of Rights apply to individuals. People have rights, government bodies (Federal, state, and local) have powers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no preamble to the Bill of Rights. There is only one unamendable clause of the Constitution: No amendment can deprive a state of equal suffrage in the Senate.

All of the rights in the Bill of Rights apply to individuals. People have rights, government bodies (Federal, state, and local) have powers.
 why would the founding fathers make it possible, although not probable, to change the 1st ammendment?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
They made it possible to change the whole damn thing.  The Amendments WERE/ARE changes now incorporated in the basic documents.  (Thats what Amendments are, additions or changes)

Civics 101, don't sleep through it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They made it possible to change the whole damn thing.  The Amendments WERE/ARE changes now incorporated in the basic documents.  (Thats what Amendments are, additions or changes)

i guess i shouldve changed it to ARTICLE then considering veryone refers to ARTICLE number 2 as the "2nd ammendment." jeez
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i guess i shouldve changed it to ARTICLE then considering veryone refers to ARTICLE number 2 as the "2nd ammendment." jeez

The articles of the constitution enumerate the powers of the government.  They are completely separate from the amendments.

Article 2: Powers of the Executive Branch
2nd Amendment: RKBA
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The articles of the constitution enumerate the powers of the government.  They are completely separate from the amendments.

Article 2: Powers of the Executive Branch
2nd Amendment: RKBA

not exactly about my questions but they nvr tought that in "govt" class.  i guess in terms of 18th century grammar its a little different then now.  is there anywhere i can find a translation of sorts for terms that may have changed a little in 230 years? (im serious)
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The "Bill Of Rights" are the first 10 Amendments to the US Constitution. They can be changed (amended) just like any Amendment. They limit the federal governement's power, but initially were not universal (individual). When they are "incorporated", via the 14th Amendement, they become more universal. The 2nd Amendment has yet to be incorporated.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ok, im a firm believer in the 2nd Ammendment.  hell, im building my own AR for self defense/targt shooting purposes.  i would like to pose this question.  does the preamble to the bill of rights specify that nothing within the bill of rights can be changed?  also, does the bill of right specify rights to only individuals? explain?

No.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok, im a firm believer in the 2nd Ammendment.  hell, im building my own AR for self defense/targt shooting purposes.  i would like to pose this question.  does the preamble to the bill of rights specify that nothing within the bill of rights can be changed?  also, does the bill of right specify rights to only individuals? explain?

No.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Wrong.

Rights are held by people, NOT gov'ts. Powers are held by people AND gov't.

Read what you posted again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The BoR died years ago.  It doesn't matter what it says any more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The Bill of Rights doesn't grant any rights... it merely recognizes them.  So, no, the BoR cannot be edited.  An act of our Legislature cannot remove our rights, but only end government recognition of our rights (and, therefore, the legitimacy of the government).
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#12]

i would like to pose this question. does the preamble to the bill of rights specify that nothing within the bill of rights can be changed? also, does the bill of right specify rights to only individuals? explain?

I am no Constitutional expert, tho there are a few members here who have degrees in Constitutional law.  

However, I would interpret it as an individual right, scince the BOR does not actually give rights but garauntees, or protects,  the God given right you were born with. Thats something often overlooked, IMO, the BOR only protects rights you were already born with, thats why the 2nd is an individual right as I interpret it.

e.t.a     jnojr beat me to it. I took too long to get my reply written.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

not exactly about my questions but they nvr tought that in "govt" class.  

I guess they never taught that in English class either.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top