Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/16/2006 9:08:39 AM EDT
Your PERSONAL point of view of your service is probably very different from someone elses.

For example, serving today is a whole lot different than serving, say, in the early 70s.

Even where you were stationed will change your experiences.

When I served, 1/3 to 1/2 of my basic platoon were qualified for Special Olympics.

Hell, I made E-5 in under 2 years. Why? Was I an extraordinary soldier?

By standards of the time, and my duty station, yes. After all, I could read, write, add numbers and tie my shoes.

OTOH, had I served a few years earlier or later, or even at the same time, but somewhere else, I may have been considered to be just another average doggie.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:54:18 PM EDT
Maybe someone on the night crew might add to this......
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:24:58 PM EDT
Try early sixtys for 1,000 alex!!

I could only type 39 wpm ,and when the company clerk transfered out(I got the job of mail clerk,company clerk,and First Sargent's driver)this in a front line enginner company!!

Loved it no more guard duty,revellee,carried a 45 colt (right handed)mail sack or documents in left hand(no more salutes)!!

Only down side was the big First Cav patch on left arm,and in Korea that would get you in many a fight(till I finally just gave up and so I was 7 years old when that shit went down)!

Different times my friend ,50.00 a month(67.50 over-seas pay)and thats why many jumped out of planes(100.00 more a month)!!

Bob
Top Top