Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 5:37:05 AM EDT
I am just posting/hosting the pics.  It is not my pistol, and he will be along shortly to deal with questions, comments.

www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/colt041.jpg

www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/colt043.jpg

TRG

PS.  Pics are HUGE so I made them in to links....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll need a bigger picture first.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a Single Action Colt Revolver in .38 WCF! (what do I win?)
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that the obvious is out of the way, what's its serial number range?

1st gen, 2nd gen?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
You or he can go to Colt's website and track it's history there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
ive got it on good authority that it was retired Texas Ranger Jim Peters gun so im gonna have to track him down and ask him about it................

colt in .38 w.c.f., gold hammer and screws

serial # 167,6XX

and another thing that struck me as strange...................if you cock the gun, then decock the gun it goes back to the original shell

if anybody knows a value or anything further than what i know on this gun i'd appreciate hearing about it
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#6]
not only that, where the hell would i find ammo for the damn thing?????
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]
try this.....old western scrounger

eta: I think you can use 38-40 ammo...don't quote me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
no such luck, i haven't been able to find shit for ammo, none of my distributors carry it or anything
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
no such luck, i haven't been able to find shit for ammo, none of my distributors carry it or anything

I'm not 100% sure I'd want to shoot it much anyway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
ok, found something

38 Remington
38-40 Winchester
38 W.C.F.

all interchangable

oh come on, its been shot already so why not run a few through it for fun?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#11]
IIRC the SN puts it in the middle of the 1st-gen range. That should put it as being made sometime before 1920. I could easily be wrong. Colt won't publish their records online because they make a killing researching this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#12]
well, best i can figure after a little research it was made sometime between 1896-1912 (and the fucker looks GREAT in that case)

furthermore, 38 w.c.f. was not a highly popular caliber, making it that more rare

also, if the gold is factory, which i'm guessing it is, then holy shit......................

where are all our colt SAA experts?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
well, best i can figure after a little research it was made sometime between 1896-1912 (and the fucker looks GREAT in that case)

furthermore, 38 w.c.f. was not a highly popular caliber, making it that more rare

also, if the gold is factory, which i'm guessing it is, then holy shit......................

where are all our colt SAA experts?

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#14]

and another thing that struck me as strange...................if you cock the gun, then decock the gun it goes back to the original shell

This is a bad sign... DO NOT SHOOT IT!!! There's a good change the cylinder will not be lined up with the barrel when you pull the trigger.  Most likely the spring that snaps the locking bolt into the cutout in the cylinder is broken.  This causes the "hand" that rotates the cylinder to drag the cylinder in the reverse direction as the hand moves back to it's starting point.  Not a big deal to replace the spring.  I'd take it to a gunsmith familiar with the Colt SAA for replacement and a timing check.

There should be plenty of ammo and components out there due to cowboy shooting.  You'll just have to look.  

Kent
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Also, I doubt that finish is the original finish.  I bet it was redone at some point.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#17]
That is the Colt Bling, Bling model. It sells great in the hood.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Texas Rangers have never been known for their plain jane guns...................
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Funny thing is even though it's marked "38" the bullet dia. is really .400". This ctg.(38/40Win.) was the .40S&W of it's day. Ballistics are the same. You can get brass from Starline and a few places even load factory ammo for it. People over on the SASS Wire could give you a butt load of help with it. Check them out, here's the link.
http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
Hope this has been some help, talk to ya' later.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a bad sign... DO NOT SHOOT IT!!! There's a good change the cylinder will not be lined up with the barrel when you pull the trigger. Most likely the spring that snaps the locking bolt into the cutout in the cylinder is broken. This causes the "hand" that rotates the cylinder to drag the cylinder in the reverse direction as the hand moves back to it's starting point. Not a big deal to replace the spring. I'd take it to a gunsmith familiar with the Colt SAA for replacement and a timing check.

good call, you were right, the lock isn't fully engaging, must be a spring broke alright
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top