Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 10:21:07 AM EDT
Cordless drill charger gave up the ghost yesterday, older model so couldn't get a replacement. Manager at the local Sears offered a credit on a new drill, seemed fair, when they rang it up it was on sale so they gave me a new one (drill, batteries, charger, the whole works) as an even exchange (would have had no problem paying even a token 10 or 20 bucks, but they went the extra mile)

Little things like that keep customers around for a long time, two big thumbs up!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
i just jsut in there over lunch. bought two usa made 29pc metal drill indexes for a grand total of 4.95.  

they deifintely do the public well with clearance items.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I love their hand tools but I will never buy their power tools again.  I wanted to build a shed so I picked up a 7 1/4" circular saw and a cordless drill.  On my 3rd cut of 1/2" plywood the bearings cooked on the saw and by time I got to screw # 20 the chuck on the drill fell apart.  

I replaced those with Dewalt and 8 years later they're both still running strong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got as pretty good mix of tools (Sears, DeWalt, Milwaukee) and overall have had pretty good luck. The drill that was replaced today was still running strong, just the battery charger had crapped out - the manager really went out of her way to make things right, as long as they are good about backing their products, will keep them in the "good guys" list.

(and some companies, like Best Buy, have earned the "Wrath of Doom©" for weaseling out of obligations.)

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny, my 1/2" drill croaked two days ago at a most inconvienent time,
Went to Sears, dropped it on the counter and politely said, " I thought you might want your
cheap, Chinese-made piece of crap back." and walked out.

Went to Western Tool and they bent over backwards to help me get a nice, new
USA MADE Milwaukee. plus some discounted bits, a free coffee mug, pencils, catalogs....
all I needed was a drill!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I buy Craftsman brand hand tools.

Other than that, screw Sears.

I usually buy DeWalt or super cheapo china brand crap.  Tha cheap China crap is surprising long lasting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My Sears didn't make me any kind of offer. My Craftsman Millenium drill's charger went bad a few months ago in the middle of a job, but I thought it was my batteries. I went to Sears to get another battery. When the new battery wouldn't charge, I figured out it was the charger instead, so I got a refund on the battery. I then discovered they discontinued the charger that would fit my batteries.  They have stopped carrying the chargers for all but one of their battery designs. If your charger dies, you'll have to get a whole new drill kit..They have a whole three-foot section of batteries they can't support any more.

I ended up getting a Makita, they're less flighty and I can get the batteries at more places than just Sears..The drill was good and I also liked the flashlight it came with, but without a charger...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The one clerk was apologetic but couldn't offer much (beyond the address for the parts dept), 2nd clerk was kind of a jerk at which point I asked to speak with the manager (who listened and made what I thought was a fair offer (credit towards a new drill)

Bottom line is they made it right, unlike Best Buy, where the further up the chain you went, the ruder they became.  Sears will get my repeat business, Best Buy will not. As with everything, I guess it's a YMMV, but posts about things going right are rare so thought Sears deserved recognition for doing a good job.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have many power tools from SEars at the moment but I WILL NOT spend my money for any tool unless it has "Craftsman" on it.

Best in the market!

Keep it up Sears!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I just helped my Wifes granfather (84) today with some yardwork.
We needed to do something with all the libs and clippings we had, so i say "you don't happen to have a chipper do ya"

Sure enough, he had one. A Craftsman (like everything else he owns)back in the dusty old garden shed. I would like to add that it has an open entrance, so a good sideways rain will go straight into it.
He hasn't used it in at least 5 years!!!!

put some gas in, and it began to leak. Ok, so i decide to pull on it a bit to see if it will even turn over.

30 pulls later and a few puffs of black smoke...IT CAME TO LIFE!
It also quit leaking.
It's like the damn thing healed itself
...ran like it was new
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top