Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2001 10:20:36 AM EDT
As we all know too well, there are thousands of students who are mentally and physically assaulted by their peers every day.  And there are probably thousands of undocumented cases where adult students (18+ years) assault minor students.

And it's getting worse.  Yes, even I had problems with select few nameless a**holes.  But what is different these days I feel has to do with a rise in youth population and a social disease I call suburban affluence.

You see, there are more and more students striving for social recognition in a more crowded environment.  For many students, it's getting more difficult to succeed socially and academically because there are so many more just like them.  For example, why do you think all these universities are raising their admission standards?  Because there's so many more students applying for the same limited classroom space who all have the same SAT scores.

On top of that, many youth become too accustomed to a liesurely lifestyle, given to them by their parents who live beyond their means -- parents that established wealth by credit that they will probably never be able to pay off in their lifetime.  And guess what -- the Internet Economy (the computer industry is one the biggest scams ever) is slowing down, folks.  Tough times are ahead, especially when parents are more concerned with how to pay for their new found toys (the $100 cable bill, net access, cell phones, pagers, and a 12 MPG SUV) than the well being of their children and making sure they are safe while attending school.

To reduce violence and assault in schools, penalize the institution monetarily for each act that occurs.  And in the case of adult students assaulting minor students, law enforcement must be called and an arrest made.  No exceptions.  Schools have for decades turned their backs on the needs of students who are routinely harrassed and in many cases those same students have asked their teachers and guidance counselors for the abuse to stop and they did nothing.  Maybe we should take all the teachers into the hallway and kick them in the shins with steel-toed boots until they could barely walk (I'm writing this from experience) and hopefully they'll understand.

But of course it's all about the guns and why there were no trigger locks on them.  Guess what -- like the Internet Economy, those locks are a scam.  We send our children to shop class in middle school to learn efficient use of the hacksaw.  Ever see one of those ads for the plastic wrap-around gun lock device called "Life Jacket"?  More secure than a trigger lock, they say, but I'm sure that only applies to those who cut shop class.

Thanks for listening!

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
2 school shootings - within a few miles and a few days of each other - conclusions:

1) Santana High School:

Unarmed security guard encounters shooter after first shots fired (one dead, one wounded). He is unable to respond with equal force. Result: He is shot 3 times in the back as he attempts to escape the restroom and the shooter is able to reload 4 times, expend in excess of 30 rounds total and kill one more and wound 11 more before he surrenders. Shooter dominates...

2) Granite High School:

Armed SRO (school resource officer) is on duty and in an area restroom when shooter opens fire. He is able to respond and wound the shooter with 2 shots - one in the mouth/jaw (a wound that would deter most of us) and one in the rear section. Result: only a few wounded and NO fatalities - shooter as well as other aspiring little cowards learn a valuable lesson.

Should we arm qualified school security personel and perhaps other staff in US schools? Ask the Israelis if they have had much trouble with this type of thing in their schools since arming teachers and administrators many years ago.....

I rest my case [8]

[sniper]
The Sniper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top