Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:28:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 8:39:45 AM EST by PantherArms762]
I talk to these kids around me at school (since I was having trouble getting my financial aid together,) and they all keep saying they are in the A+ program that essentially the .gov pays for 2 years of Community College for them?

I see them in the commons area, and then they no-show for class, show up without homework done, and all around could care fucking less about their edu-ma-cations?

WTF?

I cant even get subsidized loans since I apparently make too much money and now, not only am I paying for my schooling with interest, but theirs too?

Is there something I missed?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:50:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:53:18 AM EST
That's nothing. The community college I went to, has students receiving Pell grants (because they are "poor"). They go to school for a couple of weeks, drop out, and the school refunds them "their" (your) tuition money.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:00:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By david_g17:
That's nothing. The community college I went to, has students receiving Pell grants (because they are "poor"). They go to school for a couple of weeks, drop out, and the school refunds them "their" (your) tuition money.

Never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:03:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By david_g17:

Yep. One of my ex-friends received a scholarship for 4 yrs/ up to 40k/year. He went to CC for 2 weeks and dropped out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:03:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By AeroE:
My kids are enrolled in the A+ program, and they do have to turn sufficiently high grades in high school to qualify.

If the stoodents at your school are screwing off, don't worry too much about it; they won't be able to transfer their grades later.

I had a hell of a time with getting through school without aid. It sucked, but I graduated debt free, too. What really torqued me was zero information from high school counselors about the possibilities; that would have helped me graduate several years sooner.

So they have to achieve certain grade levels to qualify?

Wonder what happened, most of these kids seem to just be goofing off.

I would like to go debt free, but I gots the wifey and bills to be paid + I only have time to work part time, so paying as I go is out of the question, especially when I head for the University for some $300/hr.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:53:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:18:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:05:45 PM EST
I thought someone told me they were in a program called A+ that was specifically about computer repair. Maybe I misunderstood and it was the program mentioned abouve and they were using it for the study of computers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:26:31 PM EST
I'm a little upset. I've been paying for this shit when my GI-Bill could have been saved for upper level shit? Dammit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:38:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
I'm a little upset. I've been paying for this shit when my GI-Bill could have been saved for upper level shit? Dammit.

No shit but I still got like 2 years left on the GI Bill so I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:52:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By tyman:

Lower division stuff has taken over three years (fuggin engineering) so mine will run out after only a few months of my junior year. No, I didn't save the excess. I spent it on beer, a newer truck, guns and ammo, etc.

Guess I'll need some loans. I figger 30K ought to do it...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:55:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:01:23 AM EST
Thank goodness for Florida Bright Futures. Woo!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:36:37 AM EST

Lower division stuff has taken over three years (fuggin engineering) so mine will run out after only a few months of my junior year. No, I didn't save the excess. I spent it on beer, a newer truck, guns and ammo, etc.

Well I guess being gone for 16mos on deployment and using 1 semester to finish my Associate's without the GI bill was purdy nice.

Now I get the updated GI Bill anyway, $650/mo, w00t!

You would shit yourself if you knew how much I got per month for mine...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:25:05 PM EST

Well I guess being gone for 16mos on deployment and using 1 semester to finish my Associate's without the GI bill was purdy nice.

Now I get the updated GI Bill anyway, $650/mo, w00t!

You would shit yourself if you knew how much I got per month for mine...

$1100-1600?
Top Top